Mediterranean clothing help

seagazer

We will be going to Venice, Florence, and Rome before our Greece and Turkey cruise, traveling from Sept 6 to Sept 27. I hope to pack one 25 inch suitcase and a shoulder tote for the plane. I've read many posts about mixing and matching as a way to travel light, so will limit my color palette. What fabric and style slacks will be most breathable and comfortable? I assume we will have hot weather, and I've read shorts are not appropriate. What about capris or crops?

I will manage formal nights with one pair palazzo pants and two different tops.

My head is spinning with the challenge of comfort, looks, weight, and versatility!

I would love some direction from those of you who have done three weeks in Italy and Greece in September. We will be on Royal Caribbean and are over 65.

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

I'm eager to see the replies, as I'm in a similar situation. We're doing the Allure Mediterranean cruise in July, with another 2 weeks in Spain after. And because we'll be traveling around Spain by train (in the rain?!:p), we're each packing a carry-on and backpack only.

I'm thinking like you for the formal dinners on the cruise--flowy black palazzo pants and a couple sparkly tops. Probably a pair of sparkly sandals to go with the outfit. Capris and gauzy tops for the daytime, with a big wide-brimmed hat to protect from the sun. Black will likely be the dominant color of the wardrobe, with several colored scarves to change out the look.

I worry about my husband--not sure how he'll fit a sportcoat in his suitcase along with everything else he needs.

I have cruised the Med twice before in late Sept and early Oct, combining it with land trips in Italy and Spain, each time with one bag.

Yes, it can be warm at that time of year. It can also rain or be a little chilly, especially in Venice.

For pants, I took a pair of long black knit pants which I wore often (on cooler days and also for dinners on the ship and on the plane), plus a pair of ankle pants and also capri pants in cotton and linen blends (that don't wrinkle too much). I took cotton tops and non-wrinkle cotton shirts to mix and match with all of the pants as well as a knit tunic for the black pants at dinner. I packed a black knit t-shirt dress for dinners and a knit cocktail dress (no wrinkles) for formal nights. I wore walking sandals on port days which also went ok with the casual dress in the MDR on the ship. I did take a pair of dress shoes for formal night.

I wore a travel blazer on the plane and used it to dress up my outfits up depending on where we were and it doubled as a light jacket when it was cold. I had a raincoat that folded into its own little bag that could be carried around in a tote. I usually only needed a scarf for warmth in the morning anyway and took it off when the day warmed up. I bought a sun hat on the ship to wear in the sunniest ports and left it behind at the end of the trip.

We did laundry on the ship so we didn't need too many clothes. I think that the hardest part for me in packing light was choosing just two pair of shoes to pack (and wearing one). And I also did some shopping:) We packed a foldable carry on bag that we used to hold our purchases on the way home. So, using just one small bag was tough. But on the land portions it was freeing to not have some big heavy bag to roll around and lift on the trains.

Hi Sally!

I think the temps will be pretty similar to our just-returned-from Western Mediterranean, which was mostly high sixties (Fahrenheit) through mid-seventies. It may be warmer in Turkey. I have not cruised the Med in September but have been on a land trip in Bulgaria, Serbia, and Romania. Memory recalls similar temps. If it rains it may feel cooler.

For the 26-day TransAtlantic+westMed (including Florence and Civitavecchia and ending in Venice), we each took a 20" carryon and a daypack. On return (with souvenirs!) the suitcases weighed 23lbs apiece, and so would have been overweight for some airlines such as Lufthansa; fortunately we flew back on British Airways with 50lb limit! We did NOT wear the heaviest of our two pairs of shoes, but rather the more comfortable, easier-off-and-on. We took swimsuits/coverups we never used. On retrospection, we might each have done with a couple less shirts.

Our new suitcases weigh (no kidding) 3lbs,3ozs empty. So getting weight down lower is going to require some belt tightening, figuratively and perhaps literally!

Our ship had no self-laundries -- you need to check on that for the Rhapsody; if you intend to use the ship's laundry service, take only things that can stand HOT wash and HOT dry. I have essentially no travel clothing that I want to subject to that, so I did hand wash every night or two.

For fabrics and colors, I took polyester long pants and mostly polyester (some rayon and cotton) tops. Two pants were light weight, almost like a crinkle cotton, in coral and turquoise, third was a heavier poly in black. The former washed up and dried overnight, and the latter wears like iron, at least four wearings still looking fresh. All my shirts went with essentially any of the bottoms. I found I wore (and washed) the three tee-shirts of wicking (aka "Dry" or high-tech) poly fabric the most. I would eliminate the shirt that is rayon with spandex -- too hot when it's warm and too cold when it's cool! I wore a long but light coral skirt on the planes and for boarding day, and to the Captain's lunch. I would opt for culottes (less heat rash!) but the pair I intended to wear, turned out not to fit well enough to sit on an 11-hour plane ride! Bodyglide to the rescue!

Obviously, I did not follow the "neutrals only" wardrobe advice -- but I never felt conspicuous or garish!

My husband has high-tech nylon shirts and either nylon (light) or poly (heavier) trousers, mostly the cargo style. Colors navy, blues, and tan. These are his weekend clothes and colors at home, too.

I wore a cotton sweater-jacket and packed a thin-ish merino wool sweater and a black slinky topper for dinners (although we did not "do" formal, we felt better in the evening venues with somewhat dressy cardigans on those nights). My husband wore a leather jacket and packed a merino "un-blazer" that Travelsmith no longer offers. [A cardigan that is lined and has a lot of body. I would kill for a couple more of them in his size!] We also take very effective long raincoats -- overkill for this trip, but having been soaked to the skin on other trips, that is our preference.

Well, you're not planning to travel carry-on only, but I do have a detailed packing list, if you want it, write me -- put CRUISING in the subject -- send to my Cruise Critic name (at) that yodel sound (dot) com.

Have your husband wear the jacket (suit/sport coat) on the plane, no need to pack it. Pressing, if needed, is a minimal cost. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I would not have expected needing a jacket, having read mostly about the heat and needing to be covered up but staying comfortable. I do want to take as small a suitcase as possible because of train travel before the cruise, but I thought that would be difficult to do with dressier ship wear than daytime touring. It was also helpful to have recommendations for my husband. Will he need long pants during the day?

It would be great to really pare down to a smaller suitcase and still look nice and appropriately dressed.

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I would not have expected needing a jacket, having read mostly about the heat and needing to be covered up but staying comfortable. I do want to take as small a suitcase as possible because of train travel before the cruise, but I thought that would be difficult to do with dressier ship wear than daytime touring. It was also helpful to have recommendations for my husband. Will he need long pants during the day?

It would be great to really pare down to a smaller suitcase and still look nice and appropriately dressed.

Thanks!

I've been on several Med cruises in September. It is still very warm in the southern Med. The day I boarded my ship in Athens on the last day of September a couple of years back, it was close to 100 degrees.

At most a lightweight rain jacket that can serve as a windbreaker should be all you need. A lightweight linen or cotton sweater could layer under it to add warmth in the unlikely event that it is cooler.

Seagazer, I think we are on the same cruise. My plan is to pack light as well. I am going with my hiking clothing...button down Columbia shirts and my light weight hiking pants that roll up into capris (I will probably throw a couple of pairs of shorts in as well). I am adding a couple of scarves to change the look for dinner on the ship.

I have low top hiking shoes that I will wear on the plane. They are comfortable and look nicer than my sneakers to wear at dinner. This time the sneakers are staying home.

Lisa

Seagazer, I think we are on the same cruise. My plan is to pack light as well. I am going with my hiking clothing...button down Columbia shirts and my light weight hiking pants that roll up into capris (I will probably throw a couple of pairs of shorts in as well). I am adding a couple of scarves to change the look for dinner on the ship.

I have low top hiking shoes that I will wear on the plane. They are comfortable and look nicer than my sneakers to wear at dinner. This time the sneakers are staying home.

Lisa

Nice to see you back on the boards again!

If you want, you can always buy a pair of "sneaks" over there. They don't take up any room - you can always tie them to the front of your bag ;) And, they are still in major style over there! Just don't buy white tennis shoes :eek:

Curious - which low top hikers do you have? I'm in the market for a new pair - I've worn my Salomons into the ground.

Nice to see you back on the boards again!

If you want, you can always buy a pair of "sneaks" over there. They don't take up any room - you can always tie them to the front of your bag ;) And, they are still in major style over there! Just don't buy white tennis shoes :eek:

Curious - which low top hikers do you have? I'm in the market for a new pair - I've worn my Salomons into the ground.

I am finally getting some time to check out the boards again. I have been rowing competitively this Spring and am either at work or on the lake lately. Next up are Southeast Regionals, so I don't expect to have a lot of free time until July. :eek:

My hikers are Asolo's and I have had them for three years and love them. Don't worry, I would never buy white sneakers. I think I will be ok with the hikers since this is the pair I took to Alaska and never had an issue. :D

Lisa

I am finally getting some time to check out the boards again. I have been rowing competitively this Spring and am either at work or on the lake lately. Next up are Southeast Regionals, so I don't expect to have a lot of free time until July. :eek:

My hikers are Asolo's and I have had them for three years and love them. Don't worry, I would never buy white sneakers. I think I will be ok with the hikers since this is the pair I took to Alaska and never had an issue. :D

Lisa

Looked at some Asolos, too intense for what I want. I really want a solid trail runner/approach shoe, I guess. I have Salomon Synapse. They aren't making them this year, so I am back looking at all "comers" for a new shoe. Looks like the Elipse is their new model, but I'll look at everything. I use those shoes all spring/summer/fall long when doing my daily trail walk/run with my dog on the single track trail system behind my house. I've got ankle/stability issues, so the light approach shoes work better than pure trail runners.

Looked at some Asolos, too intense for what I want. I really want a solid trail runner/approach shoe, I guess. I have Salomon Synapse. They aren't making them this year, so I am back looking at all "comers" for a new shoe. Looks like the Elipse is their new model, but I'll look at everything. I use those shoes all spring/summer/fall long when doing my daily trail walk/run with my dog on the single track trail system behind my house. I've got ankle/stability issues, so the light approach shoes work better than pure trail runners.

I have the New Balance trail runners and really like those. Lightweight, flexible, and super comfy.

Lisa

Thanks!

Hi, regarding clothes for your husband, I can tell you what we take. We do pre and post cruise travel, so we pack light too. First off, we skip the formal nights, eat in a specialty restaurant on those nights instead. For DH, I pack him 2 prs of black chino type pants, 1 pair of REI pants that are fabric meant to dry quickly if it rains & & keep you cool, 2 prs of tailored type shorts, 1 swim trunk w/tee shirt to match, 2 tech fabric type polo shirts, & 8 black v neck fitted tee shirts, the dressy type ( I know, dressy tee shirt??) but they're the type made with high quality fabric, & are tailored to fit nicely. 1 pair dark leather loafers, 1 pr. black nike flyknit sneakers, & his sandals. In ports like Athens & Ephesus, Santorini, Mykonos, Nice, he wears shorts. In places like Istanbul & Rome where we'll be entering churches, cathedrals, & mosques, he wears the REI pants. We also take one pair of super fast dry neck type black sweatpants & black fleece in case of rain. We send out clothes to ship's laundry quite a bit!

Our last trip was a cold weather trip, & we only took one pr shorts, added two black fleece, a grey sweater, hat, black coat, & gloves, & they were very needed :) but you won't have to worry about that your time of year.

In addition to cruise kitty's excellent thoughts, I would also add that Royal Caribbean is more relaxed than some lines in regards to what should be worn on a "formal night" (not really formal!). If you don' want to skip it, it's not necessary to wear a suit or tux, nice dressy casual wear is generally fine.

• 3 weeks later...
I would not have expected needing a jacket,

I have spent 10 days in Tuscany/Venice twice in early October and have never needed more than a lightweight cardigan or a very lightweight jacket. I really doubt you will have "chilly" weather in late September. Just take a very lightweight sweater that you can layer over other tops if needed, particularly in the early morning or in the evening (doubtful you'd need it mid-day) and a very lightweight but water resistant jacket in case of rain.

For our trip this past October I packed a pair of black capris, a pair of cropped lightweight khaki colored pants, one pair of shorts, a black knit sundress, one pair of comfortable walking sandals that worked with all outfits, a few tops that worked with either pants, and a lightweight black cardigan. (We did have the ability to do laundry while in Tuscany but I only had to launder a few things one time.) Had I been adding a cruise to the mix I would have added 1 dressier pair of pants and 2 or 3 dressier tops and a pair of heels.

You are at swing season on those dates. I have been in Rome mid September and it was very hot. I've also been there same time and we needed light jackets/sweater. Venice the same. You should watch the weather on line the week(s) before you go to see the weather trend.

No matter the weather, I would not suggest you wear shorts in Rome or Venice. You will not be permitted to enter most of the cathedrals and churches..... certainly not St. Peter's or St. Mark's Basilica.

Greece likely will be the warmest place of your trip.

You are visiting fabulous places. What a wonderful itinerary. Hope you truly enjoy every moment of it. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Shorts may be inappropriate in some churches (for women anyway), but they are fine for daytime touring otherwise. It's what tourists wear in the summer.

I would qualify this by saying that many of the tourists in these places will be Italians, French and other Europeans. It is highly unlikely you will see adult Europeans, particularly women, wearing shorts unless exercising or on the beach.:)

Do American women not wear skirts? I find them invaluable. Loose fitting, hem below the knee, can be worn with different t shirts and sandals, and are so much cooler than trousers or shorts. I always wear them on hot days, but can remember attending an air show in California where I was the only female in a skirt! Is there a reason why skirts are so unpopular?

Do American women not wear skirts? I find them invaluable. Loose fitting, hem below the knee, can be worn with different t shirts and sandals, and are so much cooler than trousers or shorts. I always wear them on hot days, but can remember attending an air show in California where I was the only female in a skirt! Is there a reason why skirts are so unpopular?

I see a fair number of American women wearing skirts, sundresses, and maxis.

I don't happen to like them. I have long legs, tend to sprawl and take long strides. Plus I am often visiting archaeological sites when traveling with low walls to straddle, uneven steps and terrain, etc.. And who wants to deal with a breeze whipping up one's skirt?

This sounds like what I usually wear in hot weather. Skirt, t-shirt and sandals.