Best excursions in Labadee

CreativeCruiser119

Hello everybody,

I am sailing the Western Caribbean next March on the Allure of the Seas and I was wondering what some of the best excursions are in Labadee, Haiti, from those who have been to Labadee and can differentiate between some of the excursions offered there. I have heard great things about Labadee and if anybody had any suggestions for me to sign up for when I'm there with my family, I would greatly appreciate that! Thank you.

IMO, Labadee is just a beach day...you can pay more money to do stuff, but this day is included in your fare. If you were planning on a "beach" day...do it here. Won't cost a thing!

You can partake of the zipline, rollercoaster, watersports...etc...but you don't have to!

The watersport stuff is "follow the leader" sortt of thing....you can't rent something and do you own thing there.

I will be sailing Quantum on Jan. 11 with my grandson. I am sure he will want to go to the beach but it is not my thing. Do you have to stay there all day or are there shuttles that will take you back to the ship when you have had enough sun and heat?

We are a thirty-ish year old couple and last year we did the Haitian Cultural Tour. We really enjoyed it. Knowing it was sort of a "staged" village after reading reviews, we still loved seeing the ladies making peanut butter and coffee. Our tour guide was entertaining and informative. We enjoyed the short boat ride to a different part of the island, and LOVED the private beach. I would recommend this to someone looking for more than just a beach day.

I will be sailing Quantum on Jan. 11 with my grandson. I am sure he will want to go to the beach but it is not my thing. Do you have to stay there all day or are there shuttles that will take you back to the ship when you have had enough sun and heat?

You can go back to the ship whenever you want.

The water slide and park are good for kids. It's a small place, you can walk around and see all the beaches and take your pick.

Three of us did the zipline once. I know it's popular here, but we were all sorry we wasted almost two hours for a 45 second ride that isn't all that great. And not cheap either. If it was half the price and didn't take up so much time I'd do it again:) Would have rather used those two hours at the beach, on the ship, pretty much anywhere but waiting around for the short zipline ride.

Edited by bouhunter

Can you provide any hints? We plan to hang out at Nellie's.

We'll let the kids choose between the all day water-slide and the water toys park.

I may check out the volleyball game.

Just so you know, the Aqua Park (inflatables in the water) is not all day. It's one hour. I'm guessing you can sign up for multiple hours (and pay for each one) but it is structured.

This stop can be cheap (find chairs on a beach) or as expensive (cabanas, jet ski tours, zip line, etc) as you want. There are plenty of options and everyone's thoughts on the "best" thing to do will differ.

Did the zip line. I am afraid of heights and don't do carnival rides so surprised me I found the courage. Amazing!!! Everyone should do it once. My new favorite thing to do when cruising. It was expensive, but was worth it. If I find one somewhere else I definitely will Zip again. You only live once. I am in my late sixties

My advice is to pick a beach (most are great), get there early to get a good spot, and enjoy. Have a nice lunch and a few drinks. If the zip line is what you want, wander over and do it.

Don't overspend on a tour, it not necessary IMHO.

Check out http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/destinations/shoreExcursions/subGateWayByTypeAndDest/search.do?ActivityTypeId=6&DestinationCode=CARIB&CurrencyCode=USD&LocationCode=LAB&Submit222.x=32&Submit222.y=9 to see what additional pay options are offered at Labadee. Previous posters have referred to Haitian Cultural Tour at Paradise Cove & Beach Break - QLB0 and Sandbar Island Adult Getaway - QLC8 / Sandbar Island Getaway - QLB4 (at least I assume those are the hidden beach references).

OP is on Allure. Be aware that Oasis & Allure have a FREE 7 second zip-line over the ship Boardwalk. The Labadee 45 second over water zip-line is $95. Many love the Labadee zip-line; but if you have never done a zip-line, I'd suggest trying out the short free one before deciding if you want to shell out $95pp and a bunch of time at Labadee.

After having been to Labadee a number of times (including several times before the dock was built and a visit the week after the January 2010 earthquake) I now find a reasonably quiet corner on Nellie's Beach with a lounger under a tree, and relax and go for an occasional dip in the ocean, but there are lots of choices.

Thom

Check out http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/destinations/shoreExcursions/subGateWayByTypeAndDest/search.do?ActivityTypeId=6&DestinationCode=CARIB&CurrencyCode=USD&LocationCode=LAB&Submit222.x=32&Submit222.y=9 to see what additional pay options are offered at Labadee. Previous posters have referred to Haitian Cultural Tour at Paradise Cove & Beach Break - QLB0 and Sandbar Island Adult Getaway - QLC8 / Sandbar Island Getaway - QLB4 (at least I assume those are the hidden beach references).

OP is on Allure. Be aware that Oasis & Allure have a FREE 7 second zip-line over the ship Boardwalk. The Labadee 45 second over water zip-line is $95. Many love the Labadee zip-line; but if you have never done a zip-line, I'd suggest trying out the short free one before deciding if you want to shell out $95pp and a bunch of time at Labadee.

After having been to Labadee a number of times (including several times before the dock was built and a visit the week after the January 2010 earthquake) I now find a reasonably quiet corner on Nellie's Beach with a lounger under a tree, and relax and go for an occasional dip in the ocean, but there are lots of choices.

Thom

I did the zip line this past March on the Oasis, and probably will again next year on the Allure. However, with me having a moderate fear of heights, the 45-second one on the island may not be for me!

My husband is also afraid of heights, but was determined to try this. Once I got up there, I was really having second thoughts. An 85-90 year old women was next to me and said it was on her bucket list....At 60 I couldn't let her go and not me...It was THE MOST AWESOME thing I think I have ever done, maybe swimming with the stingrays many years ago, comes in second. They have you do a short one over land first, actually not real great, and if you don't like it, you don't have to do the other. (Don't know about reimbursements, etc.) Once you are on your way down, the sights are spectacular. If it weren't for the cost, my husband and I would have gone again right away. Have since been ziplining in Costa Rica and another island (can't remember which). Much rather prefer the straight run with nothing to do but watch the beach, water, etc. instead of looking for your next platform, speed and stopping. I did not do the ship one when we were on it, but it just can't compare to Labadee.

Have fun whatever you decide. Kathryn

Hi!

We will be on the same cruise.

It is all beach, with covered dining areas , rest rooms, showers, and they have golf carts and a shuttle that will take you to all the points on the beach. You can come and go as you please. No worries.

My husband is also afraid of heights, but was determined to try this. Once I got up there, I was really having second thoughts. An 85-90 year old women was next to me and said it was on her bucket list....At 60 I couldn't let her go and not me...It was THE MOST AWESOME thing I think I have ever done, maybe swimming with the stingrays many years ago, comes in second. They have you do a short one over land first, actually not real great, and if you don't like it, you don't have to do the other. (Don't know about reimbursements, etc.) Once you are on your way down, the sights are spectacular. If it weren't for the cost, my husband and I would have gone again right away. Have since been ziplining in Costa Rica and another island (can't remember which). Much rather prefer the straight run with nothing to do but watch the beach, water, etc. instead of looking for your next platform, speed and stopping. I did not do the ship one when we were on it, but it just can't compare to Labadee.

Have fun whatever you decide. Kathryn

In that case, I will definitely consider it! I guess I wouldn't be much of a man if I didn't :/ but are there any steep drops because I am afraid of those! But I will practice on the ship the days before Labadee to boost my bravery!