Caribbean :Don't forget to apply BUG SPRAY !

Heirloom

My friend whose family owns a home in St. Croix said Dengue fever is widespread in the Caribbean and parts of FL.

It was the primary cause of their next door neighbor's death one of two years ago.

Now this is not something that has been documented but I'll be bringing bug spray with me on my trip next week.

Good old Tonic Water has deet in it.

I used to always get bitten until someone told me to drink plenty of Tonic Water before your holiday and whilst on holiday because bugs don't like the taste of it.

I have drank it since then which is about 8 years now, never been bitten again.

Jackie

I used to always get bitten until someone told me to drink plenty of Tonic Water before your holiday and whilst on holiday because bugs don't like the taste of it.

Jackie

And, from what I understand, Gin mixes well with tonic water. If the tonic water doesn't repel the little devils, you can at least get them drunk.:D

Jackie

To clarify, tonic water contains small amounts of quinine, not DEET. They are two completely different chemicals. DEET is an insect repellent, which helps prevent bugs from biting you. Quinine is an anti-malarial drug, which helps destroy the malaria parasite once it is in your blood. DEET is for external use only. Quinine is ingested. Both have side effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinine

25% DEET - yikes. I will probably develop a third eye just from holding the can...

I have never been bitten by a mosquito in my life, not even in Costa Rica where large swarms of them were buzzing around others like crazy. My husband, however, is a buffet for skeeters so it is best to be prepared.

We're leaving for Florida tomorrow for a cruise beginning Saturday.

St. Maarten will be our port stop on 1/28 so I'll reply about how we found the mosquito situation when we return in February.

LuLu

~~~~

Edited by OCruisers

Hard to find repellant here in the northeast right now. (For some reason we just don't need it here right now.;):eek:)

Leaving on Monday for a cruise. Found some repellant here in the area at LLBean. It has 30% Deet. DH will be forced to use it since the skeeters turn him into a gigantic buffet and his immune system is somewhat suppressed. I'll use it, too since I just don't have the time to be sick.

sorry sorry sorry

Yes Tonic Water does have quinine in and not deet. Sorry xx

It's true I have not been bit for years and I used to get bit from head to toe before drinking tonic water.

Tonic water does have quinine in it which helps fight malaria in your body but deet is applied externally to help stop the bites.

So if I don't apply any deet how come I don't get bit any more? Could it be that I also take quinine in tablet form every day which is prescribed by my GP.

I'm confused, haha

Cheers Beachbum53

Jackie

sorry sorry sorry

Yes Tonic Water does have quinine in and not deet. Sorry xx

It's true I have not been bit for years and I used to get bit from head to toe before drinking tonic water.

Tonic water does have quinine in it which helps fight malaria in your body but deet is applied externally to help stop the bites.

So if I don't apply any deet how come I don't get bit any more? Could it be that I also take quinine in tablet form every day which is prescribed by my GP.

Just out of curiosity, (and of course none of my business, really) where did you contract your malaria?

Hi, I have not contacted Malaria I take HYDROXYGHLOROQUINE 200mg which has Quinine in for my Arthritis It helps stop cramps in my muscles.

I also take a lot of other medication, actually, think I rattle when I move haha.

One day I maybe pain free, ah now that would be nice

Take care

Jackie