What does the future hold for Azamara

baytraller

We have just booked our first Azamara cruise

Mainly because of the significantly reduced cruise price

After reading many reviews and posts, there does not seem to be any recent enhancements

But there has been a reduction of entertainment - trio/duo and harpist

The crew seem to be excellent and the Azamazing Evening is generally well received

There are no new ships on the horizon, but signicatant increases from other cruise lines

This link highlights the increased capacity over next couple of years

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/cruise-ship-orderbook.html

The entry on Viking Ocean the most notable new planner

By the end of 2016 Viking Ocean will have 3 ships of 944 capacity

Alone with Seabourn 604 and Regent 738 plus rumors of Oceania about to announce new ships

The current upgrade sale by Azamara also points to poor forward booking

I would love to see a better entertainment option then a guitarist before dinner in the Looking Glass

One included dinner in the the specialty restaurants each cruise

So what do loyal Azamara passengers consider need to be improved, if anything

Regards - Peter

The current upgrade sale by Azamara also points to poor forward booking

So what do loyal Azamara passengers consider need to be improved, if anything

Regards - Peter

I, too, am booked for my first Azamara cruise (and I also have a second one booked for 2016). While I am eagerly anticipating the experience, I am also curious about the future of AZ. All of the promotions taking place certainly make it seem as if the ships aren't filling up. From what I have read, the most recent drydocks and "renovations" didn't really reveal much improvement. With Oceania renovating all of their "R" class ships, and most of the other premium lines introducing new tonnage, I am wondering where AZ fits into all of this. This is not a criticism, as I think the product looks wonderful, but just curiosity.

Michael

Hi Peter,

Intriguing question, and I'm sure we'd all love to know the answer. Even if Azamara has created a path for their future, I highly doubt they will share anything with us, until the appropriate time. In the meantime ? it's fun to speculate.

I remain hopeful that Azamara has a great future ahead of them. If for no other reason, I want them to succeed for their Officers and Crew, whom have put so much into this brand, and deserve the bulk of the credit for what Azamara has accomplished to date.

I agree that it's concerning that Azamara cannot seem to get that new ship, nor the major renovations to Quest & Journey that's been rumored for... forever. If only RCCL would make a major capital investment for Azamara, it would bode extremely well for their future success.

As I've mentioned on the Oceania forum, one news source has reported that Oceania may soon announce 2 additional sisters to Riviera & Marina. Along with the 3 ships Viking Ocean has in the works, IMO, it puts pressure on Azamara to make a move. Let's hope we'll hear some good news, in the not too distant future.

Sadly I think that Azamara will disappear in 2 or 3 years.

I am a great Azamara fan BUT there are lots of problems /issues

1: Azamara is 1% of RCI business. (1300 beds vs RCI group 120,500)

The overheads of Azamara in each country are crippling.

Do you think that Larry’s Remuneration is 1/100 of RCI Richard Fain president?

Brits apparently are 10% of Azamara clientele i.e 130 beds per week.

UK marketing office will be costing £400,000 per year alone.

Do you think Azamara MD gets 1/100 of his equivalent at RCI UK.

2: It will be easy to get rid as they are obviously NOT planning any refurb/refit until 2017 at earliest.

3:They are between a rock and a hard place.

If you are a cruiser new to luxury will you choose a 15 year old ship or a nice new Viking Cruise.

Will you choose a 140 sq.ft. with a really small bathroom.

4::Pricing has got out of line with reality.

We have had a permanent 2 upgrade policy for months.

All that happens is lower grades are upgraded and then nearer departure interior will be flogged off cheaply.

5: Azamara repeat customers are diminishing at rate of 5% per year as we ALL get older and Azamara demographic is relatively older than mainstream where RCI is concentrating.

Look at moves into China etc.

6: Despite their work they still manage monumental foul ups.

Allowing their partners to advertise 6 Star all inclusive (a RCI owned subsidiary) and have still not given an answers to Open certificates!!!

I am sure there are other reasons and I really feel for crew and on board operations as we all know how hard they work

Bonnie, any insight on this? It appears this is a recurring post and is of great interest to everyone. There actually is a similar post on Oceania's forum about the future of Azamara.

I think Azamara beats Oceania with the unique itineraries....but I'm very hesitant to book something in 2016 if the ship will not be refurbished.

Look forward to your thoughts. Thanks!

There's certainly a lot of people on the CC boards talking about not booking with Azamara again and there seems to be a lot of disgruntlement about the communication side of things to customers especially in the UK - it's not a great sign to those who have already booked, booked previously or considering to book!

I booked as the price and the itinerary were right and I have already sailed with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity so was confident a sister line would deliver for us too - now I have to say I do feel disgruntled myself as things are hard to find on the website (something like finding your actual booking should never be hard to find!) and then getting messed around with hotel changes - I can accept that changes can and do happen but the message seems to be consistent even from loyal Azamara cruisers!

I honestly think the disgruntled nature of posts on this board are overplayed. Yes, it's true that shoreside, especially within the UK is now lacking. I've experienced this myself. However when I weigh up the experience on the ship against this failing I still love the product and will keep coming back for more. When talking to other guests on the cruise (and surprise, surprise I do chat quite a bit to others) I'm left with the same impression. Rather than being disgruntled those I speak to seem to share my enthusiasm. Attending Le Club Voyage loyalty events and there are a LOT of repeat cruisers. That says something.

I'd really like to see some true investment in the brand by RCI. Some deeper updating of the ships. A new vessel in the fleet. This would give me comfort that the future is truly bright for Azamara. In the meantime I will continue to enjoy a wonderful onboard experience and try and limit my involvement shoreside. I never feel like I am putting up with second best when I'm actually onboard.

Phil

There's certainly a lot of people on the CC boards talking about not booking with Azamara again and there seems to be a lot of disgruntlement about the communication side of things to customers especially in the UK - it's not a great sign to those who have already booked, booked previously or considering to book!

I booked as the price and the itinerary were right and I have already sailed with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity so was confident a sister line would deliver for us too - now I have to say I do feel disgruntled myself as things are hard to find on the website (something like finding your actual booking should never be hard to find!) and then getting messed around with hotel changes - I can accept that changes can and do happen but the message seems to be consistent even from loyal Azamara cruisers!

Kikki21, I read of your disappointment about your Athens hotel change. As you still have a few weeks before your cruise why not email customer services to see if they can assist you. As it is such a special holiday for you one would hope that they would be sympathetic and accommodating.

But please don't fret about the on board experience. Quest is a lovely ship with a wonderful crew and I am sure you will have a ball.

Am just very regretful that Lottie and I aren't able to join you.

I think Azamara beats Oceania with the unique itineraries....but I'm very hesitant to book something in 2016 if the ship will not be refurbished.

Hi Jvnyc,

FWIW, Journey has a 2 week Drydock "scheduled" for Mid Jan 2016. Odd that I'm not seeing anything for Quest on the schedule. Of course, it's impossible to know if a Drydock will happen or not. As we've learned in the past, just because it's on the schedule, nothing is etched in stone.

Please keep in mind, that if you are expecting anything massive to be added to Journey in 2016, I'd keep my expectations low. IMO, 2 weeks isn't enough time to do a major refit. Who knows ? Perhaps if Azamara opts to do more, they will add more time to the drydock.

At any rate, it would be wonderful if Azamara updated the ships. Hopefully, Bonnie will respond.

Edited by Host Andy

The quickest way to kill these discussions regarding Azamara's demise would be for its parent, RCI, to make a meaningful financial commitment to the brand. Unfortunately, just the opposite has been happening with: drydocks scheduled 2 years ago canceled; call center moved to Guatemala with cretins trying to answer questions; a decrease of ship board entertainment; etc.

The only financial commitment RCI seems to be making is underwriting AZ's annual losses. If anyone can point to financial support from RCI, please share it because I can't find any.

Over the course of Azamara's history there have been so many changes. To me is seems that there was no set plan on the major direction Azamara was going with in the "class" of cruise lines. At first, air included, then no air, then choice air credits. First a butler, then no butler (only suites), specialty restaurants included then not included. Then drinks not included, now drinks included Azamara did not want to have PAX have to show their cruise card for drinks, then different liquor packages came out. PAX has to show their cruise card. Addition of amazing evenings, some not so amazing. Dry dock for the ship, then no dry dock. (Am I missing anything?) Oh, the price increase. Then sales and more sales. Changes in deposits made onboard for future cruises . Was there something about coffee that changed? To me, it looks like that was no clear plan in place for Azamara when it became it own cruise line. Yes, cruise lines to make changes, but all this! The cruise line vision keeps changing. Have a vision and a plan Azamara. PAX want a steady product. I feel that Azamara is not going to be around very much longer, the ships are getting old and soon PAX are going to be wanting something newer for the price.

Edited by geocruiser

The quickest way to kill these discussions regarding Azamara's demise would be for its parent, RCI, to make a meaningful financial commitment to the brand. Unfortunately, just the opposite has been happening with: drydocks scheduled 2 years ago canceled; call center moved to Guatemala with cretins trying to answer questions; a decrease of ship board entertainment; etc.

The only financial commitment RCI seems to be making is underwriting AZ's annual losses. If anyone can point to financial support from RCI, please share it because I can't find any.

Agree completely. Money talks. For me, an investment in new builds and refurbishment of the existing ships would be the ONLY signs that Azamara will be here for the long haul.

Someone mentioned on the Oceania boards that Oceania would be happy to purchase additional R ships and refurbish them. . . . . .

It is pretty obvious they are running at a loss.

But, do the RCCL annual reports show specifics for the two Azamara ships?

for a fall T/A in '15...should I be worried?? I love this product...just came back from a spring T/A ...but don't want "to have the rug pulled out from underneath me"...at a much later date...I like to book early to get a good deal!! Should I "hedge my bet" and book another T/A for that time on another line??? This talk is making me...and probably others "nervous"!!!! Your thoughts??? LuAnn

After many enjoyable cruise line experiences, we finally decided to try Azamara, at the suggestion of our TA. The posts here give me a bit of concern for our booked cruise in late 2015. The unique port selection won our business along with recommendations that may be outdated(?). Being more optimist than pessimist, we'll keep our fingers crossed!

I was worried about the same thing when I booked our two Azamara cruises for 2013, but since RCL was underwriting their loses I assumed RCL would protect my deposit etc. My suggestion is if you are worried buy cancel for any reason insurance for your airfare. RCL will probably protect your deposit and the insurance will protect your airfare.

HAL is sending two of their smallest and oldest ships to P&O next year to make room for their new build..I suspect Azamara will be sold off and the new company will refurbish them. There is a market for the smaller ships but am thinking CCl, NCL and RCL or into their money making mega ships.

Unfortunately, just the opposite has been happening with: drydocks scheduled 2 years ago canceled;

The drydocks two years ago were shortened, not canceled, and were the same duration as Oceania's recent ones that pacheco tells us about over and over. Let's not deceive. And Azamara's two ships still receive higher member reviews here on Cruise Critic than Oceania's two new ones.

And if you want a cruise line that offers constant promotions, just put yourself on the Oceania email list.

Edited by marinaro44

We have an AZ cruise booked at the end of 2015 but are also looking forward to our Viking Star cruise in April 2015. We loved our Wind Spirit cruise in 03/2014 and plan to book a Wind Spirit cruise in the Med in 2016. My DH and I don't drink so paying for the " all inclusive" is really a waste for us. We do love the small ship experience and the longer port stays and are willing to pay a premium for that. Viking is going to have wifi at no extra fee so that takes care of the only Le Club Voyage Perk I use. I think AZ needs to find a way to up their game besides the Azamazing evenings and night touring. At least bring back the discount on pre booking excursions.

Kathy

First off....Hi Kathy, good to see you on Cruise Critic! Our family also has an Azamara cruise booked for May 2015. All of this conversation has me a bit concerned as well. And, after the day I have had trying to talk with the staff at Azamara, I am REALLY concerned. I had questions, and when I spoke with three different individuals, I got three different responses. Each left me on hold to check with someone else. We love Azamara, and we are cheerleaders, but feeling a little nervous here........

Linda

....And if you want a cruise line that offers constant promotions, just put yourself on the Oceania email list.
I wish Azamara would bombard me with constant promotions like Oceania does. I've tried everything to get back on their email and snail mail list. All to no avail, despite the helpful folks at LCV. But that's another story, I know.

for a fall T/A in '15...should I be worried?? I love this product...just came back from a spring T/A ...but don't want "to have the rug pulled out from underneath me"...at a much later date...I like to book early to get a good deal!! Should I "hedge my bet" and book another T/A for that time on another line??? This talk is making me...and probably others "nervous"!!!! Your thoughts??? LuAnn

Hi LuAnn,

I wouldn't be worried. While many of us would like to see RCCL make a long term capital commitment for Azamara, I remain optimistic for their future. The onboard experience is outstanding, and remains a major positive for Azamara.

How this thread morphed into a conversation about their potential demise is mind boggling. IMO, any such discussion is utter nonsense.

I wish Azamara would bombard me with constant promotions like Oceania does. I've tried everything to get back on their email and snail mail list. All to no avail, despite the helpful folks at LCV. But that's another story, I know.

Hi MightyQuinn,

It's amazing how much email and snail mail I receive from Oceania. While I always look forward to cruise mail, I think it's simply too much - their budget must be massive. At least I'm lucky, in that I receive occasional emails and snail mail from Azamara. You're right though - that's another story.

I do sometimes worry about the future of Azamara, as they are our preferred cruise line and only have two ships. We no longer purchase open passage future cruises on board due to the problems we've had actually applying them, but we continue to book cruises that depart within a year. I agree that everything related to the pre-cruise experience is poorly executed, but once on board all that nonsense is forgotten as the wonderful on board experience takes over. Let's hope they remain afloat, I would hate to see the wonderful staff, some that have been loyal for the last seven years, suddenly finding themselves unemployed.

Rather let devoted followers stew on rumor than put out a statement!!!!

I have a chit for a discount on a future booking & paid - whatever I paid for it! $250? - & now there is talk of the demise of Azamara which seems more reasonable than it ever has in the past.

BUT - Azamara's perennial weakness has been in its communications. I hope that Bonnie can help sort us all out (not that a corporation wouldn't pull the rug right out from under a spokesman....it's been done before).

This is a great line & I truly hope that it will continue. We love it as it suits us right down to the ground.

I have a b2b scheduled for late September 2015. I am not canceling. Deposits paid by credit cards are protected.

But even though there is an itinerary I like for 2016, I am not booking Azamara until they "show me the money." I, too, like to make plans way in advance and I want to be sure those plans will come to fruition.

If they did a major renovation of the ships, I would book in a heartbeat.

Edited by pacheco18