Let's talk EDGE - what are your first impressions?

russg140

There is no right or wrong answer here. Some people will love Edge, some won't. That's okay, but don't blast someone for disagreeing with you.

So, now the concept has been revealed (albeit in concept only). What are your first impressions? Understand the concept (like having a piano on an outside deck) won't necessarily be the final ship.

My thoughts: The Retreat concept is a rebranding of NCL's "Haven". Other new concepts are not do-able. The "Magic Carpet"? Silly. The Solarium will end up like the Solarium on Solstice ships (maybe with a few new touches), The Guest Relations area (Destination Gateway) looks like a 1980's version of the future without any details - it's all white with light wood.

I think Celebrity has spun this into a frenzy and people are excited for something new. The question is: what will they actually deliver?

I love most of it. Not a fan of the orange on the carpet but I think the concept is cool. The one thing that's giving me second thoughts is the infinite balconies...I loathe...and I realize that's a strong word - the cut from the hull balconies on Princess's sun class ships and the more I think about these the more they're reminding me of Edge. I will keep an open mind on that. Love the design, colour schemes, I think most of what I seen so far is beautiful.

There is no right or wrong answer here. Some people will love Edge, some won't. That's okay, but don't blast someone for disagreeing with you.

So, now the concept has been revealed (albeit in concept only). What are your first impressions? Understand the concept (like having a piano on an outside deck) won't necessarily be the final ship.

My thoughts: The Retreat concept is a rebranding of NCL's "Haven". Other new concepts are not do-able. The "Magic Carpet"? Silly. The Solarium will end up like the Solarium on Solstice ships (maybe with a few new touches), The Guest Relations area (Destination Gateway) looks like a 1980's version of the future without any details - it's all white with light wood.

I think Celebrity has spun this into a frenzy and people are excited for something new. The question is: what will they actually deliver?

Having looked at the video that my TA sent, the ship looks very nice and I get the feeling that perhaps X is attempting, with this vessel, to pull in more upper income clientele. Interesting that there are 16 infinite cabins for solo passengers but at a hefty price for those solo passengers such as myself. Once the newness wears off perhaps prices might come down a bit.

The "Magic Carpet" seems... I don't know, just not sure it will do a thing to enhance ones cruise.

The ship over all looks stunning however: will it be short staffed, will customer service become important again, will the MDR food be better than just okay, and will the entertainment be quality? All remains to be seen.

My thought is that the Magic Carpet is a silly gimmick. It's basically a small cantilevered platform that holds relatively few people for drinks or a meal. I sure wouldn't want a cabin along its tracks. My guess is we won't see other cruise lines copying this feature.

The infinite balcony is nice and I'm sure that people who value additional cabin space will love it. I'm wondering how cabin air conditioning will be affected.

As for the decor..... it seems to be a very monotone grayish color pallet. It does give off a very modern vibe. The King size beds are a welcome change and the bathrooms are supposed to be larger and there is more storage. All positive changes.

To me, the common spaces are most important as I do not go on cruises to spend time in the cabin. So far there is little information about these sections of the ship. I'm hoping that as these details get released we'll see that Celebrity has spent as much effort to improve the non-suite experience as they have the suite experience. Only time will tell. As for booking an Edge cruise - I'll be waiting until they announce itineraries beyond the Caribbean.

I think the rooms look great. Building on the enhancements in Quantum class I'm sure they'll be a winner.

As for the rest of the ship though... disappointed. The overall impression I got is just very 'artificial.' It feels very removed from the sea or what it needs to be. Fine if you're in an uncomfortable environment like a plane where there isn't much else and you want to make it comfortable and luxurious, but here it just doesn't seem necessary. And the magic carpet thing... serves a purpose down with the tenders, and looks beneficial up top, but there are other ways to achieve that. Doesn't seem like the best approach either. So personally, am underwhelmed.

Overall like what I see. Colour palettes are not a concern, fine from what I see and easily changed between now and launch. Cabins look great - proper bathrooms - no sink in the room. Pleased, that it finally puts to rest the ideas proposed in that "leaked " design by different architects a year or so ago

Magic Carpet looks gimmicky and ruins the symmetry of the ship. It Would have looked better at the rear of the ship. I suspect cabins on the starboard side near this will be harder to sell. Sea water and lift mechanics will cause headaches. I suspect it is being designed in such a way that it can be removed in a dry dock pretty quickly if it doesn't work out.

There is mention of the Solarium but no news on design or location yet.

Only other thing I noted was the sloping walkway on the port side. That would appear to take a lot of space out for sun loungers . What is it a sloping walkway between?

We'll pass. Saw nothing to get us to make a commitment for almost two years down the road. The ship looks like in may be of some interest, but until they improve the food and production shows, it's not worth the price, at least to us. Specialty dining isn't an extra cost we are willing to pay, so we'll sit on the sidelines and see what shakes out. If nothing does, that's ok also.

Really wish Celebrity/RCCL would put more money into the quality of food, service and overall live entertainment rather than stupid silly gimmicks like this dumb magic carpet. What a waste of $$$.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think Edge looks like a lovely ship, however I am concerned that the pool area will be to small to cope with all the passengers. It looks like it will have considerably less space for loungers than Solstice class.

Other things I do not like is that there will be no general access to the top deck in front of the ship. Also Edge will miss the spectacular atrium from Solstice-class ships and the airy glass side of Millennium-class ships. Yes these features take up a lot of space, but they also give inner areas of the ship natural light.

I also think that the infinity staterooms has more of the nature of being a ocean view cabin than a true veranda cabins. Trains often have windows that can be opened the same way as the new windows, but I would not call the seats at the train "veranda" seats.

And the magic carpet thing... serves a purpose down with the tenders, and looks beneficial up top, but there are other ways to achieve that. Doesn't seem like the best approach either. So personally, am underwhelmed.

So tell us all, what would your solution be. :)

We booked a S1 Sky Suite for 1/19. I think it will be a beautiful ship. It will be fun to watch as the progress unveils. I would have been concerned about the pool loungers-as this is a HUGE problem on the Reflection- but there are so many Suites that maybe they will utilize the private area? Myself, I like to watch everyone and listen to music. I guarantee the private area will be quiet. Who can complain about a new ship? What I was thinking is how fun it would be to take everything you love from every other ship and put it into the Edge! Personally, we love the Enclave on the Royal & Regal Princess. We love the Adult Solarium on the Allure of the Sea! I like the Atrium on Princess better than what they have on the Reflection. I think I am one of the few who loves Cellar Masters and the Enomatic wine machine on the Reflection. I love how they have a Chef's Table in the kitchen on Carnival Dream. Honestly, that was our best chef's dinner ever! My husband prefers Crown Grill whereas I prefer Tuscan Grill. I love the staff at the Sunset Bar on Reflection! Just think how fun that would be! While we are at it, might we choose our favorite staff to come along? I loved Alexander & his colorful suits when he was on Reflection. I enjoy Martin on the Reflection. Years ago there was a young man named "Hunky Dory" on the Holland America Oosterdam. After meeting you just once he remembered your name the entire time! When I think about it, when I grow up I just want to be Arno and be on the Reflection for 7 weeks at a time! Or maybe sit and chat and hear some of his stories!

Overpriced.

I just looked up comparative prices for a balcony in the Caribbean, basically the same ports and same seas to cross:

Balcony%20pricing%202019_zpsu9yfw3az.png

In most cases you can dine on the same food, visit the same ports for 30% more on Edge compared to other ships in the fleet.

Cruising on the other ships will give you a four weeks at sea compared to three on Edge for about the same price.

mnocket

To me, the common spaces are most important as I do not go on cruises to spend time in the cabin. So far there is little information about these sections of the ship. I'm hoping that as these details get released we'll see that Celebrity has spent as much effort to improve the non-suite experience as they have the suite experience. Only time will tell. As for booking an Edge cruise - I'll be waiting

We'll be doing the same for the same reasons.

I'm surprised of the absence of comments on air conditioning. For years, we were told to keep the door closed as to let it opened might affect the capacity of the air conditioning system to maintain a comfortable temperature in the stateroom or even in the entire ship.

With this new possibility of having an extended balcony the size of the stateroom, wouldn't the system have real difficulty maintaining an acceptable temperature not only in close by staterooms in which passengers prefer french doors closed but in common areas such as hallways? And what will happen when a vast majority of passengers will decide at about the same time, probably at the end of the day or just before dinner time, to close the doors expecting a comfortable air conditioned temperature when they come back?

Will there be pockets of uncomfortable temperature (too warm, too cold or too humid) here and there on the ship?

For me it is a real concern. But so far, I haven't read one comment on this subject...

I'm surprised of the absence of comments on air conditioning. For years, we were told to keep the door closed as to let it opened might affect the capacity of the air conditioning system to maintain a comfortable temperature in the stateroom or even in the entire ship.

With this new possibility of having an extended balcony the size of the stateroom, wouldn't the system have real difficulty maintaining an acceptable temperature not only in close by staterooms in which passengers prefer french doors closed but in common areas such as hallways? And what will happen when a vast majority of passengers will decide at about the same time, probably at the end of the day or just before dinner time, to close the doors expecting a comfortable air conditioned temperature when they come back?

Will there be pockets of uncomfortable temperature (too warm, too cold or too humid) here and there on the ship?

For me it is a real concern. But so far, I haven't read one comment on this subject...

Air conditioning and wind tunnels when the door opens will be interesting to see addressed.

New ships are always exciting.

I am looking forward to the Edge various dining venues and what the Sunset bar area will look like on this ship.

Will it have a new improved Martini bar ? I still liked the original Century martini bar as best in class even better than M or Soltice ships.

I mentioned this same concern about air conditioning. My guess is that there will be an auto shut-off to disable the A/C if the cabin is open to the outside. If so, this will probably result in many people retaining the standard configuration of a separate balcony area when it is hot/humid outside.

I think the ship is pretty, for sure. It looks to me, though, that for those (like my hubby) who prefer to stay in an aft balcony, the only options will be a sunset veranda or a sky suite, and neither of these aft balcony options will have the infinity balcony. Maybe I'm reading the deck plans incorrectly, heaven knows some days my glasses don't seem to be nearly strong enough, lol. But if I'm right, well, I suppose we can do that for less money on the S class or M class.

Regarding the A/C, I suspect there will be an automatic switch which may shut off the cooling/heating when the glass is opened.

That's exactly what I thought. It's the most logical solution, surely?

That's exactly what I thought. It's the most logical solution, surely?

That solves your suite but currently when one balcony is open it affects the whole section. I'm sure there's a solution as I'm sure most people will be having it open when they're in their room.

Overall, I'm impressed with the Celebrity Edge. The design seems cutting-edge, and clearly they are going upscale.

Cruising has changed in the last dozen years. Classes, which were a huge part of the transatlantic ship experience from the 19th century through the 1960s, have been re-introduced.

1st=Suite

2nd=Aqua/Concierge

Tourist=everyone else

Even everyone else is hardly steerage. I think those cabins are as big or bigger than 2nd class cabins back in the old days.

I'm glad the ships aren't bigger than the Solstice class. Although Edge-class is too pricey for me at the moment, perhaps in a few years....?

The Villa, which I won't ever be able to afford, looks fantastic! But is there a dining table?

I mentioned this same concern about air conditioning. My guess is that there will be an auto shut-off to disable the A/C if the cabin is open to the outside. If so, this will probably result in many people retaining the standard configuration of a separate balcony area when it is hot/humid outside.

Fairly common in my experience in to have the air con switch off once you open a balcony door mire than a certain distance and perhaps after 20 seconds.