Staggered time?

beachgal58

From what I've read, it's Carnival's attempt to assert some control over embarkation by having passengers arrive more evenly distributed between different times throughout the day rather than clumped together. A few things I've learned about it from what folks have posted here:

It is offered as part of the online check-in, but not at any consistent period of time before the cruise. For example, a friend of mine is cruising on Carnival two days after I am, and my friend has already selected staggered check-in time but it is still not offered to those on my cruise. To be clear, though, Carnival says the ability to select your staggered check-in time will be "made available approximately 6 months prior to your cruise".

I have also read that Carnival is enforcing the check-in time for all but those passengers who have, as a specific benefit, the privilege of arriving when they please, going so far as to tell at least one family to come back later when they presented themselves for boarding significantly before their staggered check-in time.

I'm looking forward to more insights into either or both of these things as I prepare for my cruise this fall.

The staggered check-in is something new to Carnival but has been used by other lines for years.

It is not used at all ports and some ships in ports that normally use it are exempt.

It's an attempt to cut down on traffic entering the port area causing traffic jams and to streamline the check-in process by having the passengers pick a particular time for their arrival at the port.

Priority passengers still have to pick a time, but are welcome to arrive prior to that.

Technically for non-priority passengers. if they arrive before their scheduled check-in time they are supposed to be stopped st the terminal and denied entry until the time on their boarding pass, basically being told to wait outside.

How well the system works depends on the port authority personnel, some are very strict while others are more lenient.

Many passengers that have used ports where the personnel were strict about the process have reported much shorter lines, leading to a faster check-in.

Once checked-in the boarding process is not much different from what has gone on in the past, if boarding has not started non-priority passengers get zone #s or are sat in assigned seats while priority, not including FttF, wait in the priority lounge.

Be aware.....Staggered CHECK-in, not boarding. You will not be allowed into the terminal until your allotted check-in time. Hope its not raining. If you arrive after your check-in window, you can go right into the terminal.

We were able to select our Check-in time last August for our recent March cruise. I haven't really noticed much of a difference on our most recent 2 cruises with the staggered check-in time. My goal is always to be on the ship enjoying a relaxing lunch between 12:00 and 12:30. By the time we're done with lunch, we just walk around a little bit and make our way to our cabin around 1:15 to 1:30 when they announce that they're ready. Then it's time to tour the spa and check out more of the ship.

Remember those email from a few years ago that suggested arriving at port a certain times that everyone said ignore? Well because everyone ignored them staggered check in evolved. And yes they are fairly strict at most ports.

We or our children have embarked several times from Galveston since it began in late 2015. It works great if you follow the timeline. Now if you decided to arrive at 10 o'clock because you want to start your vacation asap and your check in window is 12'o clock you will be starting your vacation waiting outside the terminal.

Change is sometimes difficult but this has been a good change. IF everyone plays by the rules things go like clock work and there are no lines during check in. Unfortunately there is still a wait to board. That is why I always suggest a later arrival. Less wait time to board and less wait for rooms to be ready.

Does the cruise have to be paid in full before you pick the check in time?.........was trying to wait just in case I need to cancel........

No, you can pick before having paid in full. I encourage you to go ahead and pick, especially if you want the earlier times. They fill up fast.

Last year, we did a kind of back to back on the Fantasy then the Conquest. The Fantasy had staggered check in. The Conquest did not. There was a huge difference. And having sailed from Miami before staggered check in began - this is a huge improvement. From the time we set foot in the terminal to the time we set foot on the ship was 32 minutes. And we were moving most of that time. It also included a bathroom stop!

Thanks! That is what I was thinking...I may just be too far out....Splendor in October. Don't have that option at this time.

No, you can pick before having paid in full. I encourage you to go ahead and pick, especially if you want the earlier times. They fill up fast.

Last year, we did a kind of back to back on the Fantasy then the Conquest. The Fantasy had staggered check in. The Conquest did not. There was a huge difference. And having sailed from Miami before staggered check in began - this is a huge improvement. From the time we set foot in the terminal to the time we set foot on the ship was 32 minutes. And we were moving most of that time. It also included a bathroom stop!

So how does this work with FTTF? If you can't check in and board right away, then that defeats the purpose of FTTF.

Even with FTTF, you still have to select a check-in time. I think it's merely a formality. When you print out your cruise documents, the FTTF logo will appear on your boarding pass. When the terminal personnel see that logo, you will be allowed to enter the terminal right away, regardless of the chosen check-in time. Also, keep in mind, the CHECK-IN time at the terminal is NOT the same as the BOARDING time for the ship. Too many people are getting confused by this.

Remember those email from a few years ago that suggested arriving at port a certain times that everyone said ignore? Well because everyone ignored them staggered check in evolved. And yes they are fairly strict at most ports.

Those emails and phone calls were not anywhere near the same thing as the staggered check in. Now you can choose your time. With the email and phone calls you generally received them about 3 or 4 days before sailing. It was real hard to make changes to plans at that late of a date. Once we received a phone call to arrive at 3:30 to 4. My son was platinum and the cruise set sail at 4. If we had followed their instructions we would have missed the ship. That was way to late to arrive. Those things were arbitrary and sometimes ridiculous and deserved to be ignored. The current system is great and I am glad they enforce the times.

Can you drop off your luggage before your scheduled check in time? We are heading out on the Sunshine on 6/9 from Norfolk and they are having the Harborfest event right there at the port the same weekend. We are staying at a hotel within walking distance to the port and would like to drop off our luggage early, then do a late check in time (2:30 to 3) and go walk over to the Harborfest event without having to deal with luggage. We don't want to enter the terminal before our scheduled check in time, just drop off the luggage early. Can that be done?

My sister and I haven't cruised in a few years due to family illnesses. We are finally going in October on the Valor. When we booked our cruise, our checkin time was 10:30. Since then we have purchased FTTF, and it says boarding at 12:00. Our tickets say 10:30 - 11:00. So I am hoping that we can board at 10:30, and maybe the 12:00 is just when our rooms might be ready. But I'm really not sure. Checking in early to the ship is one of our favorite times together, especially if we've never sailed on that particular ship before. So we are hoping that we can still go at 10:30. Any one have any experience with this?

My sister and I haven't cruised in a few years due to family illnesses. We are finally going in October on the Valor. When we booked our cruise, our checkin time was 10:30. Since then we have purchased FTTF, and it says boarding at 12:00. Our tickets say 10:30 - 11:00. So I am hoping that we can board at 10:30, and maybe the 12:00 is just when our rooms might be ready. But I'm really not sure. Checking in early to the ship is one of our favorite times together, especially if we've never sailed on that particular ship before. So we are hoping that we can still go at 10:30. Any one have any experience with this?

10:30 is your check in time, not your boarding time. Essentially, when you get to the port at 10:30 you will check in, get your pictures, sign and sail cards, etc. but you won't board immediately. You will be waiting in the terminal for a little bit. Actually boarding the ship won't begin until the ship has been cleared by the authorities. Supposedly that will happen at 12:00, but a lot of the time it's done early. I've seen people say they were called to board as early as 11! Your rooms will be ready right away with FttF.

I think I may have misread your question in my previous response. If you're talking about the "12-1 excursion time" listed on the FttF shore excursion page, ignore that. They probably just had to put in some random time in the description to get it to show up on the page. It's meaningless. FttF can show up any time up until an hour from sailing.

The "Boarding at 12:00" time is when they expect the ship to be open for boarding, but you can arrive early with FTTF. Then when the ship is actually open to board, they will call FTTF guests. Like the previous poster said, most likely before Noon AND yes, with FTTF your cabin will be ready and accessible right when you board.

Can you drop off your luggage before your scheduled check in time? We are heading out on the Sunshine on 6/9 from Norfolk and they are having the Harborfest event right there at the port the same weekend. We are staying at a hotel within walking distance to the port and would like to drop off our luggage early, then do a late check in time (2:30 to 3) and go walk over to the Harborfest event without having to deal with luggage. We don't want to enter the terminal before our scheduled check in time, just drop off the luggage early. Can that be done?
The porters who take your checked luggage will be outside the terminal, not inside. They're not interested in your check-in time. So ideally, you should be able to pull up, give them your luggage, and go do your thing. Just be prepared to make it quick because port personnel like to keep traffic moving. Have someone with you and when you stop, yell at them to, "Deploy! Go go go!!" :D

Hey, All; This is my first time dealing with "staggered check in". Where on the Carnival web site will they post the selection times? I have completed my online check-in and it was not available then. We're under six months now and when I check it, I'm not sure that I'm looking in the right place. I'm checking where it says edit check in, is this the right place? Any insight would be Greatly Appreciated! Thanks, and Be Blessed! Mikey:)

I don't agree with staggered check in time, I understand the purpose but its not fair for instance, I like to arrive early am to the pier, I do not want to check out of the hotel sit and hang around until say the afternoon....I do not want to get in a cab and find a place to have lunch, I don't want to waste hours doing this waiting to board....I like to get up early, get in a cab get to the pier and board, have a drink and get something to eat and RELAX, start my vacation.....boarding early allows me to unpack before the lifeboat drill (always knock on wood received my luggage way before lifeboat drill, maybe because I am always arriving early).

We are currently booked on a Carnival ship in October, we are unable to choose our staggered check in time, I called Carnival and they have no idea why, but, when final payment is due in July, if I am still unable to choose my staggered check in time, I will just cancel that cruise and go to RC again, maybe a blessing in disguise....just like I was suppose to be on the Carnival Dream on May 14th out of NOLA, because of health issues and unable to sit and fly longer than an hour at a time, I had to cancel the cruise (good thing for insurance!), but I called my PVP and asked if I can transfer to another ship out of south Florida where it only will be a 50 minute flight time, I was willing to pay penalty fees to do this, only was told I was unable to, so now we are going on the newest and biggest Harmony of the Seas...somehow Carnival is finding ways to get me away, oh well.....

I don't agree with staggered check in time, I understand the purpose but its not fair for instance, I like to arrive early am to the pier, I do not want to check out of the hotel sit and hang around until say the afternoon....I do not want to get in a cab and find a place to have lunch, I don't want to waste hours doing this waiting to board....I like to get up early, get in a cab get to the pier and board, have a drink and get something to eat and RELAX, start my vacation.....boarding early allows me to unpack before the lifeboat drill (always knock on wood received my luggage way before lifeboat drill, maybe because I am always arriving early).

We are currently booked on a Carnival ship in October, we are unable to choose our staggered check in time, I called Carnival and they have no idea why, but, when final payment is due in July, if I am still unable to choose my staggered check in time, I will just cancel that cruise and go to RC again, maybe a blessing in disguise....just like I was suppose to be on the Carnival Dream on May 14th out of NOLA, because of health issues and unable to sit and fly longer than an hour at a time, I had to cancel the cruise (good thing for insurance!), but I called my PVP and asked if I can transfer to another ship out of south Florida where it only will be a 50 minute flight time, I was willing to pay penalty fees to do this, only was told I was unable to, so now we are going on the newest and biggest Harmony of the Seas...somehow Carnival is finding ways to get me away, oh well.....

I don't think you've quite grasped the difference between staggered CHECK-IN time and BOARDING time. Regardless of your priority level, and even with the earliest check-in time you can select, embarkation won't begin until Customs has cleared the ship for boarding. So, let's say the terminal opens its' doors for check-in at 11:00 a.m., and you're the first one to enter the terminal. But if the ship isn't cleared for boarding until 12:00 (or after), you still have to wait an hour (or longer) before you can get on the ship. Of course, there's no way to predict how long of a wait there will be before boarding begins. On a recent cruise, we had to wait over an hour and a half in the terminal until Customs had cleared the ship for boarding. It does happen. We went on a cruise on the Vista just two weeks ago. We had FTTF, and a check-in time of 11:00 a.m. The check-in was the easiest and smoothest we've ever experienced. There were no long lines inside the terminal. I'd estimate we were in the waiting area maybe ten minutes after our cab dropped us off, and boarding began about 45 minutes after that. I've yet to see anyone complain about the staggered check-in time once they've experienced it. You say it's unfair. I think you'll change your mind once you've actually gone through the process. Keep checking daily on your "Manage My Cruise" page for the check-in times to be posted, so that you can get the check-in time you want.

I didn't see any discontinuity in Cruisegirl6's comments that would imply that her concerns were related to any lack of understanding. The reality is that if you cannot check in until a certain time, then you cannot board until after that time. While that may not matter if the difference is between an 11:00 AM check-in time and an 11:30 AM check-in time, it could very well may matter if the difference is between an 11:00 AM check-in time and an 1:30 PM check-in time.