Ministers/Rabbis Onboard Payments

dilly25

All questions seem to get answered on Cruise Critic, but I'm not sure anyone has answered this one yet.

Do the minsters or rabbis onboard for weekly religious services or at the holidays get to sail for free plus for their wives?

All questions seem to get answered on Cruise Critic, but I'm not sure anyone has answered this one yet.

Do the minsters or rabbis onboard for weekly religious services or at the holidays get to sail for free plus for their wives?

I would offer services every day if that was a possibility. I'm on the Silhouette March 1.

I guess you could always take up a collection but not many passengers will be carrying any money as it is not needed because everyhtig. Is charged using the seapass card.

If you read the FAQ section on Celebrity's website it addresses when they have the various religious services.

On board our cruise the assistant CD held services.

A Catholic Priest told me that they had to pay to be on board and it was paid thru some at sea organization. Besides providing services for the passengers they also are their for the crew as they rarely have a chance to attend services.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

The Jewish services I've been too have always been led by a volunteer, and we've never had a rabbi who happened to be on board.

Has anyone been on a ship where a rabbi was "provided," or just one who happened to be on vacation?

- Joel

The Jewish services I've been too have always been led by a volunteer, and we've never had a rabbi who happened to be on board.

Has anyone been on a ship where a rabbi was "provided," or just one who happened to be on vacation?

On the Summit, Celebrity Today listed on the schedule that a Jewish Rabbi would hold services for Hanukkah.

"Celebrity ships offer religious services for Catholic and Jewish faiths, as well as, Interdenominational services during major religious holidays (see detailed information below). Guests of all faiths are able to host their own spiritual fellowship or group gathering by inquiring with the Guest Relations Desk onboard.

Catholic Mass: A Roman Catholic Priest will conduct daily mass during Lent, Palm Sunday, Easter Sunday, and Christmas Day.

Interdenominational Services: A Minister will conduct services on Easter Sunday and Christmas Day.

Jewish Services: A Jewish Rabbi or Cantor will conduct services during Passover, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and Hanukkah.

In-Port Religious Services: Please check with the Guest Relations Desk for information pertaining to your respective faith. Due to the varied itineraries, each ship has religious services information for local houses of worship.

Holy Land Voyages: A Roman Catholic Priest will conduct Daily and Sunday Mass during each Holy Land cruise. A Jewish Rabbi or Cantor will conduct Friday evening Shabbat Service during each Holy Land cruise."

from FAQ | Celebrity Cruises

We usually sail with friends of many denominations. A priest will almost always be onboard for the major holidays and the same for rabbis. We have sailed twice with rabbi's onboard and neither were very good. However one of our former rabbis, now semi-retired has spent many a Passover on Crystal. His fare was free as was his wife's during that particular segment. I do know that they have paid for additional segments when he was not conducting religious events.

Friday evening services are generally lead by lay leaders. Challah and wine have been furnished on Celebrity. Can't recall this on HAL or any of the other lines we have cruised.

On one of our cruises the Jewish service had to be abbreviated as the Priest needed to set up the room for mass. This was a blessing BTW. The rabbi was exceedingly long winded!!!

- Joel

On the Connie Constellation TA 2013 there was a rabbi on-board with is wife. He tried to lead services for Hanukkah but it was a bit over subscribe, not enough room in the location provided and sadly lots of disorganization :( with finger pointing. Sigh. I think it all worked out but I didn't attend much.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

not usually. the only 'free' berth is for the person actually performing a service for the cruise line( many of whom are actually retired form active service)

any family that comes along must pay

- Joel

Clergy go through an agency as do entertainers. Most of the time clergy pay the agency a daily fee (less than $100) and most of the time must provide their own transportation. Entertainers and lecturers are paid by the agency (ships pay the agency).

- Joel

Yes. December 2014 Infinity cruise that included Hanakuh. The rabbi did the service with lighting a candle each night. We did not attend services, but were introduced to the rabbi and his wife by the CD, who called him "our rabbi".

I have known others who received free cruises including a guest for doing a couple of hours of educational seminars (estate planning, taxes, investments, etc). I have NO DOUBT the Rabbi and his wife sailed free, probably in an ocean view cabin.

Edited by jkgourmet

not usually. the only 'free' berth is for the person actually performing a service for the cruise line( many of whom are actually retired form active service)

any family that comes along must pay

You are mistaken.

I have an immediate family member who is a minister, and has been on (working) about ten cruises (with his wife). Generally, they only pay gratuities and any onboard charges (discounted).

If the cruise line is in a bind (e.g. need to fill in for a short notice cancellation), they may also pay for transportation to/from the ship and all costs. My relative has done this on Celebrity, Seaborne, and Crystal. As mentioned, they work through an agency, just like the entertainers.

Edited by Nachosdelux

Yes. December 2014 Infinity cruise that included Hanakuh. The rabbi did the service with lighting a candle each night. We did not attend services, but were introduced to the rabbi and his wife by the CD, who called him "our rabbi".

I have known others who received free cruises including a guest for doing a couple of hours of educational seminars (estate planning, taxes, investments, etc). I have NO DOUBT the Rabbi and his wife sailed free, probably in an ocean view cabin.

On our Millie wine cruise (Sept 2012) we were fortunate enough to be seated in the MDR with the visiting rabbi (and his lovely wife). He explained that he had been brought on for the Jewish high holy days, including the Panama Canal transit, immediately following our cruise. Without going into details about compensation, he indicated that the fare was comped for him and his wife. They did sail in an assigned cabin (don't know the category). The rabbi, who was recently retired from a large synagogue in Florida, said that the temporary assignments on cruise ships were a great way to travel. We really enjoyed talking with him and his wife at dinner, each evening -- they were a fascinating couple! :cool:

- Joel

We had rabbie on board of HAL Noordam for Rosh Hashanah service. Cruise company bring rabbie for high holday services.

The "agency" that Catholic priests go through to work a cruise ship is the US Conference of Catholic Bishops. It is called Ministry to Seafarers.

The list goes out one to two years in advance for them to sign up to do a cruise.

The "agency" that Catholic priests go through to work a cruise ship is the US Conference of Catholic Bishops. It is called Ministry to Seafarers.

The list goes out one to two years in advance for them to sign up to do a cruise.

Purely out of curiousity, does the Ministry to Seafarers get a 'donation' when they use one of the priests?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Forums mobile app

When I was at Christmas Day Mass, they passed a basket for a collection. The priest said that the money will go to Ministry for Seafarers, not him or Celebrity. They also do ministry for the crews on ships. I am sure that the Ministry does receive some money form the cruise ship for this service for all on board.

Knowing a little about these ministries, I am sure some of the crew have asked the priest for some special help on occasion.

Edited by Azulann

When I was at Christmas Day Mass, they passed a basket for a collection. The priest said that the money will go to Ministry for Seafarers, not him or Celebrity. They also do ministry for the crews on ships. I am sure that the Ministry does receive some money form the cruise ship for this service for all on board.

Knowing a little about these ministries, I am sure some of the crew have asked the priest for some special help on occasion.

Thank you, Azulann, for the reply, especially that you answered with no crticism of my honest question.

Interesting information and a terrific reminder that the crew deserves the opportunity for spiritual services.