What items do you bring on a cruise "just in case"?

denmarks

all of the above

Band-Aids

2 small flashlights

Lint brush

cough drops

Tylenol

extra card for camera

sewing kit (although they are available from the steward)

clips to hold towels on loungers

extra AA and AAA batteries

night light

bottle opener

These and other things are packed permanently in a suitcase we always travel with.

We have not had one of these "what to bring" threads in at least a week. Do a CC search - there are hundreds of these threads. Each of these "just in case" threads usually have hundreds of item on it so if you bother to look at them, you will end up brings a couple of suitcases full of useless "just in case" junk.

The answer to your question is to bring no "just in case" stuff. Whatever you do not have you can buy. You won't need the stuff anyway.

DON

If cruising to Caribbean, spare sun glasses. Lost mine in Roatan. Have not seen this hint previously posted.

I can not believe that they don't they sell sun glasses in Roatan? On a trip to Mexico a few years back, I lost my watch. When we hired a cab for a tour, our first destination was a discount store for a $10 watch. I still have it.

DON

Indigestion tablets (for too much food)

Aspirin (for too much drink)

'stop' or 'start' pills (for wrong sort of food)

antiseptic cream (for bites and scratches)

Safety pins

Black nasty/duct tape

strong string/cord (shoelaces and other running repairs)

Basically the same stuff I always carried whilst in the Army. Always small and lightweight.

...The answer to your question is to bring no "just in case" stuff. Whatever you do not have you can buy. You won't need the stuff anyway.

DON

Actually, the only thing we bring that we don't expect to use is two or three days worth of prescription meds. These are not easily bought and if we were to need them, the extra few days would be handy.

Scott & Karen

Guest maddycat
The answer to your question is to bring no "just in case" stuff. Whatever you do not have you can buy. You won't need the stuff anyway.

DON

An extra pair of perscription eye glasses. I wouldn't be able to buy a replacement pair in any port.

"

DON

Yep, that's what I thought. I took my Neosporin out of my suitcase before my last cruise. Then got a stick jabbed into my leg and ended up spending $15 for a tube at the hotel waiting to board. Think it will be packed for the next cruise.

Our What If bag looks similar to all those above. We always use something out of our 'what if' bag every trip.

Glasses broke within 30 minutes on a daylong train trip Spare was back at the apartment.

We've used hand sanitizer when we couldn't find the Neo. Worked but stung!

Only thing we haven't used yet is the dental kit for loose crowns and fillings.

Our What If bag looks similar to all those above. We always use something out of our 'what if' bag every trip.

Glasses broke within 30 minutes on a daylong train trip Spare was back at the apartment.

We've used hand sanitizer when we couldn't find the Neo. Worked but stung!

Only thing we haven't used yet is the dental kit for loose crowns and fillings.

Well, I used mine! :) It was/is worth it to bring it along for "just in case" in my book.

I always have a zip-lock 'what if' bag, and it has come in handy many times. It has the usual; immodium, cold meds, pain relievers, antibiotic cream, bandaids, sewing kit, etc. Yes, many of these things can be picked up at the ports or on the ship, but it takes time in port and can be very expensive on board.

I always also bring extra reading glasses--at least 3 pairs, as I tend to scatter them around, and one extra pair of sunglasses as well as extra batteries for the camera and one more bottle of sunscreen than I think I'll need, especially on cruises longer than 7 days.

And one long paperback in case the Kindle goes down! I can't stand to be without reading material (more for airports and flights).

We have not had one of these "what to bring" threads in at least a week. Do a CC search - there are hundreds of these threads. Each of these "just in case" threads usually have hundreds of item on it so if you bother to look at them, you will end up brings a couple of suitcases full of useless "just in case" junk.

DON

Spare pairs of glasses and sun glasses with my prescription are a must...some things you just can't buy during a cruise. Some other things (like medicine) you might be able to find in the ship's store, but at a huge mark up. Plus, what if you need Sudafed when the store is closed? So I go through my medicine cabinet and pack a lot of those items.

But much of the stuff that gets listed are not necessities for me.

Items that you are 99% sure you will not use.

If I'm 99% sure I won't need it, then I don't bring it. I can't think of anything that I couldn't get either on the ship or in port if I unexpectedly needed it, except my medication and my contacts/glasses (but since I use both contact lenses and glasses, one could be a back up if the other is lost or broken).

If I'm 99% sure I won't need it, then I don't bring it. I can't think of anything that I couldn't get either on the ship or in port if I unexpectedly needed it, except my medication and my contacts/glasses (but since I use both contact lenses and glasses, one could be a back up if the other is lost or broken).

If I get a bout of diarrhea I want Imodium nearby, not in a shop somewhere.

So, besides spare glasses I carry Imodium, aspirin, bacitracin, and, because I'm susceptible to bronchitis, I also bring antibiotics for that.

Also, ever since I paid a huge price aboard ship for cough syrup, i carry it as well as cough drops, and cold pills.

I also bring a few Alka Seltzer tablets in case of upset stomach.

I have used all of the above in a dozen cruises and was glad not to have to purchase them aboard ship or find a store with them in port.