Gratuities are not expected nor required

Silver Spectre

The Butlers and Cabin stewards are the heart and soul of any cruise line. We give them USD or Euros at the end of each segment depending on level of service. We fully understand there is no obligation to do so.

We also contribute $300 usd every 7 day segment to the "crew welfare fund" THis is very much appreciated as it goes collectively to all who have made our voyage memorable. One example is buying bicycles for the crew when dockside.

Jack and Ann

The Butlers and Cabin stewards are the heart and soul of any cruise line. We give them USD or Euros at the end of each segment depending on level of service. We fully understand there is no obligation to do so.

We also contribute $300 usd every 7 day segment to the "crew welfare fund" THis is very much appreciated as it goes collectively to all who have made our voyage memorable. One example is buying bicycles for the crew when dockside.

Jack and Ann

Could not agree with your policy more! Always tips to cabin staff, just started leaving an over all tip of about 500 us dollars each 7 days.

Forgive me but what is it about so many people need to be so specific about amounts given in tips, . By all means give to the crew fund which i think is a great idea,but surely this is a private arrangement and done with discretion. I do not believe the service i receive on Silversea has anything to do with extra tipping

regards Mike

$50 per day per bartender? Very impressive. You're joking -- I hope. ;)

Of course!

Edit to add: I give the bartenders nothing. Same as any other employee on a Silversea ship. Crew fund-yes.

Edited by oregon50

As far as we the clients are concerned the Gratuity policy set out by SS is one of the clearest policies they have.Is it not time for this thread like all previous tipping threads to be taken down as it is irrelevant as it is none of our business how the excellent crew on SS are rewarded and it only serves the purpose of managing egos of those clients who seem desperate to leave larger tips than anyone else.

As far as we the clients are concerned the Gratuity policy set out by SS is one of the clearest policies they have.Is it not time for this thread like all previous tipping threads to be taken down as it is irrelevant as it is none of our business how the excellent crew on SS are rewarded and it only serves the purpose of managing egos of those clients who seem desperate to leave larger tips than anyone else.

Please explain why giving a tip of $2.00 to a staff member over a 14 day cruise is desperate?

Please explain why giving a tip of $2.00 to a staff member over a 14 day cruise is desperate?

Big drop from 500US mentioned in your post 12 Sept.You merely emphasise the futility of tipping threads which is my humble opinion .

Spotted that the most recent promotions featuring Silversea from Readers Offers in the London Times are now using the above words.

This is also true for their online site.

http://www.readeroffers.travel/cruise-details/?codeToCruiseId=826950&return=silversea

I'm relatively new to Silversea having booked our first cruise with them three years ago but I thought this is what it said then and this is how it was and is advertised. ???? Of course the line I started with 20+ years ago used to say pretty much the same thing but it really wasn't that way once you got on the ship and they now charge a daily "hotel service charge" per person as a form of automated gratuity.

Of course the line I started with 20+ years ago used to say pretty much the same thing but it really wasn't that way once you got on the ship and they now charge a daily "hotel service charge" per person as a form of automated gratuity.

They now charge a daily "hotel service charge"?! Silversea? You must have been traveling on Carnival, though your TA said it was Silversea.

Big drop from 500US mentioned in your post 12 Sept.You merely emphasise the futility of tipping threads which is my humble opinion .

You are correct, I was not trying to be a blow hard. I should not have been so boastful (if that is a word) I try to give a crew gift of one or two dollars for the number of total crew. In the future I will not comment on tips. My ego about the subject over came good judgement.