Was told by room steward his new contract doesn't include daily gratuity

garyss7

Just off Breakaway and our room steward said his new contract doesn't include a percentage of daily service charge. Anybody else hear that? We had him on on cruise last fall but he just re-signed with new contract and I have no reason to believe he isn't being honest with me.

Edited by garyss7

Just off Breakaway and our room steward said his new contract doesn't include a percentage of daily service charge. Anybody else hear that? We had him on on cruise last fall but he just re-signed with new contract and I have no reason to believe he isn't being honest with me.

NCL just updated their website today. As you can see, it does say that stateroom stewards ARE a part of the DSC.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

Harriet

Why would his contract say that? My contract is funded by about 5 different sources. However on the actual contract it states what I will be paid. It isn't broken down by specifically which part of the money comes from where. None of that matters to me, as long as I get paid what is in my contract. Why would this be any different? That makes no sense.

Be very careful what staff tells you sometimes. This might be one time, they are making sure you leave alot extra!! With so many people not leaving any extra as they feel tip is covered, the staff is going to try and make sure you don't see it that way.

Be very careful what staff tells you sometimes. This might be one time, they are making sure you leave alot extra!! With so many people not leaving any extra as they feel tip is covered, the staff is going to try and make sure you don't see it that way.

And they could be saying this to every passenger they meet, to play into their sympathies. Until NCL indicates otherwise, I'll go with the notion that cabin stewards are part of the DSC and tip extra if they go the extra mile. However, if a staff member said to me that they're not part of the DSC that would...1. make me suspicious that they're trying to squeeze money out of me, and 2. make me not want to tip them extra because they're complaining about tip amount, which I find to be rude and unprofessional.

Their contracts list compensation as being made up of base salary, possible overtime (depends on how the contracts are now written per the MLC 2006 labor convention), and "incentives". The incentives are the portion of the DSC, without actually mentioning it, but they have never really directly mentioning the DSC, as I remember.

I as well, would hesitate to completely believe what a tipped person says to their clients. You wouldn't ask a turkey whether they thought you should celebrate Thanksgiving.

Thinking he was looking for a big extra tip and I bet he succeeded.

Whatever the deal is, it's between him and NCL and has nothing to do with passengers. Don't like the contract, then don't sign on. I get on board to cruise. I am not there to play wage arbitrator.

Edited by sfaaa

Their contracts list compensation as being made up of base salary, possible overtime (depends on how the contracts are now written per the MLC 2006 labor convention), and "incentives". The incentives are the portion of the DSC, without actually mentioning it, but they have never really directly mentioning the DSC, as I remember.

I as well, would hesitate to completely believe what a tipped person says to their clients. You wouldn't ask a turkey whether they thought you should celebrate Thanksgiving.

Good one

NCL just updated their website today. As you can see, it does say that stateroom stewards ARE a part of the DSC.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

Harriet

What you have quoted DOES NOT say that anyone receives any portion of the DSC. It says that they are paid a salary and incentives.

The quoted language probably means that NCL pays the crew and that the DSC is just part of NCL's income. There is no longer any breakdown that so much goes to the steward, etc. NCL MAY fund the incentives from the DSC, but probably not.

What this says to me is that rates are going to go up $100 pp/pwk and the DSC is soon to be a thing of the past.

He just might have been trying to get some extra money in a cash tip for himself. Just because you had him as a room steward before and he's friendly doesn't mean he's not trying to do something like that.

Of course!!! He figured you would buy his story hook line and sinker because you think he is your friend from a previous cruise!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My long time very nice hairdresser told me she was going to miss the few days before Xmas and was upset about it because she would miss out on like $2000 in one day of xmas tips and she felt that she might not get it back. Lol

I still gave her my usual $15. I wasn't buying that bull!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As they say in court.....hearsay evidence !

I believe him, and I don't believe him. I personally would take it with a grain of salt. If the info came from a salaried person, that would be a different story..

Edited by SissasMomE

There's far too much crap going on now to know black from white. I will pay the DSC, but no extra tips and not the added speciality restaurants gratuity.

I can't be ar$ed with all this stress a few weeks before our trip.

When I booked I was informed of $12 per day gratuities, and that was it. Now I haven't got a clue if I should tip the guy polishing the handrails, or the couple making love on the balcony next door. It's all too much.

I need a vacation.

Just to make post clear, I asked him about it, he didn't bring it up at all. He mentioned his last contract was better than this one.
It's a shame you didn't ask to see these contracts (and scan them to post here). That, plus a handful of confidential documents from NCL's side, is the only thing that has a chance of putting an end to certain perpetually recurring discussions on this board.

I think this should be known to passengers.

Why would I want a portion of my gratuities to go to a cruise line? The staff work so hard for so little. Try going on any cruise line employment opportunities and see what their pay looks like.

This is the type of thing the cruise line controls unless they eliminate pre paid gratuities and the staff receive the money. That is even up for questioning.

It is amazing that he would volunteer info such as that.

It would also be amazing to find out that someone asked him about that.

This.

I cannot fathom the utter lack of class it would take to bring up the topic. Why would anyone ask this? To assuage their privileged guilt? Small talk with the bartender along the lines of "how's ship life" is one thing... I cannot imagine asking questions about the compensation program in specific terms.

How bizarre.

There's far too much crap going on now to know black from white. I will pay the DSC, but no extra tips and not the added speciality restaurants gratuity.

I can't be ar$ed with all this stress a few weeks before our trip.

When I booked I was informed of $12 per day gratuities, and that was it. Now I haven't got a clue if I should tip the guy polishing the handrails, or the couple making love on the balcony next door. It's all too much.

I need a vacation.

Trevor-you made me laugh out loud!!! Have a great vacation!!!:)