Did not want open seating.

AuntKim

I booked our cruise 12 months ago with Main Seating on the reservation. Received our docs today and we have open seating... The TA (not the one I booked with our original TA retired) has said HAL has always had us as open seating and no longer has Main seating available. I know I can request Main at the dining room when I board but I'm still upset. What is the point in booking 12 months out if I still can't get what I requested? Very upset with HAL and the TA!

I booked our cruise 12 months ago with Main Seating on the reservation. Received our docs today and we have open seating... The TA (not the one I booked with our original TA retired) has said HAL has always had us as open seating and no longer has Main seating available. I know I can request Main at the dining room when I board but I'm still upset. What is the point in booking 12 months out if I still can't get what I requested? Very upset with HAL and the TA!

By Main, do you mean early or late? Early always seems to fill first. We couldn't get early on a cruise we'd booked almost as soon as it was available for booking. But we were in an OV, and although others will disagree, cabin grade is as important as timing in getting what you want.

We once had a computer blip change our seating from early to late--in disagreement with our docs--and when we boarded, the best they could do for us was open seating with a reservation for 5:15. No explanation of how it happened, just "too bad." So I can imagine how upset and disappointed you are.

Just try to board early and get your dining changed. Good luck and happy sailing.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

"Main" seating is late seating in HAL-speak.

Do you have copies of the reservation confirmation showing main seating? If so take a copy with you when you board and see the maitre d'. If he gives you no joy, go to guest relations.

If they still maintain there's nothing available, ask for a standing reservation for 8 PM in open seating at a table size you prefer (2, 4, 6 or 8).

Main was on my reservation. I called HAL and spoke with ship services. They had plenty of seating and switched me with no problem. I think the TA didn't bother to call! I'm glad it was resolved before boarding....now just waiting for my cabin assignment.

Main was on my reservation. I called HAL and spoke with ship services. They had plenty of seating and switched me with no problem. I think the TA didn't bother to call! I'm glad it was resolved before boarding....now just waiting for my cabin assignment.

Time to get a new TA.

I am glad this is resolved!!

Good luck with your assignment: come back and let s know how you did!

Happy to read you were able to get the seating you want.

Hope you have a great cruise. :)

I hope you tell your TA that you had it fixed without his/her help and next time (s)he might wish to try a bit harder.

.......ask for a standing reservation for 8 PM in open seating at a table size you prefer (2, 4, 6 or 8).

Our first HAL cruise is coming up.

We specified "open seating." Do we also have to make reservations or are reservations optional and we can just walk in?

Our first HAL cruise is coming up.

We specified "open seating." Do we also have to make reservations or are reservations optional and we can just walk in?

No need reservation for dinning room. First come , first served. Just show up and you'll be seated by one of the front managers. You might have to share table with other cruisers.

AuntKim, Glad you got the reservation for the seating you wanted.:)

Jertom, we book "Open" seating, too. We like being able to go whenever we want, reserve or not, or even go to the Lido or Canaletto occasionally without worrying about "letting our tablemates down".

We had a similar thing happen. We requested open seating (we dont want to be tied to a time of early or late with the kids and also to keep our options open for Canaletto, the Pinnacle, Lido) but got assigned to the main seating. My parents, who we are traveling with had open but ours was wrong. After a chat session with HAL, it got switched no problem.

Glad they got yours worked out easily too.

No need reservation for dinning room. First come , first served. Just show up and you'll be seated by one of the front managers. You might have to share table with other cruisers.

Thanks ODECCIT, and thanks also to VictOriann.

This happened to me a while ago and told my TA and HAL, that if I did not get the seating I requested, I would seriously thing about canceling the cruise - and viola, the seating was immediately 'fixed'. Do you have a receipt from your original TA showing the seating?? It would be good ammunition for your request.

Personally I am not a fan at all of open seating, especially on long cruises.

Edited by take us away

And a new TA?

Our rather large group encountered a similar change on a recent Zaandam cruise. Our documents showed confirmed early seating (at 5:45) but upon boarding we found that we had been assigned a fixed 5:15 seating on the allegedly open seating deck. And yes, the half hour difference was significant to some of us. With some effort, we managed to have the situation corrected, but we should have been notified in advance and given options if there were problems with our original arrangements.

This happened to me a while ago and told my TA and HAL, that if I did not get the seating I requested, I would seriously thing about canceling the cruise - and viola, the seating was immediately 'fixed'. Do you have a receipt from your original TA showing the seating?? It would be good ammunition for your request.

Personally I am not a fan at all of open seating, especially on long cruises.

And the OP didn't have to threaten anyone to get the change made (It really helps to read the whole thread before hitting reply). But, if it feels like you got your 5 stars worth...

And the OP didn't have to threaten anyone to get the change made (It really helps to read the whole thread before hitting reply). But, if it feels like you got your 5 stars worth...

Not sure why the snide comments when I shared an experience ... but sorry about an early reply.

You do NOT have to share a table with others unless you request shared table or agree to it. And those you're seated with would have asked go share.

If no two-top is available hou can wait for one.

Jertom, we book "Open" seating, too. We like being able to go whenever we want, reserve or not, or even go to the Lido or Canaletto occasionally without worrying about "letting our tablemates down".

Our sentiments also. Plus, you can always "make a reservation" even with open seating. We've done it many times.