What Cruise got you hooked ???

I saw this on another thread and thought it to be very interesting to reminisce about the Cruise that got you hooked...

What was your first cruise ship....what cruise line.....the year and Itinerary...

My first cruise was in 1981. Holland America on the SS Statendam.

We cruised to Alaska.

Alaska is one of my favorite places to visit and hoping to make it back there next year. We cruised thru Glacier Bay....I knew then I was hooked.

The Carnival Ecstasy 8 years ago. Cozumel and Progreso and I've been back to both several times. Before the cruise I made regular trips to Vegas. Now I think of cruises like being in Vegas but without the expensive meals and the scenery changes every day.

I saw this on another thread and thought it to be very interesting to reminisce about the Cruise that got you hooked...

What was your first cruise ship....what cruise line.....the year and Itinerary...

My first cruise was in 1981. Holland America on the SS Statendam.

We cruised to Alaska.

Alaska is one of my favorite places to visit and hoping to make it back there next year. We cruised thru Glacier Bay....I knew then I was hooked.

It was NCL Norway, October 2 1999! I travelled a lot before that date, having worked for an airline, but my vacations were mostly visiting family and friends in far away places, and land vacations. Once I discovered cruising, I was spoiled forever!

I knew before that cruise, that it was an older ship, but it did not daunt me, I loved that ship, and was sorry and cried when I heard about her demise.

The next year I decided to cruise solo, since my family were not able to go at my vacation time, so I shopped around and discovered Carnival. Cruised the Sensation on a 7 day out of Tampa in October 2000. And that was the one that hooked me on Carnival!

I squeezed in one Celebrity cruise after that, but stuck to Carnival, and next year am returning to NCL on Escape:) But that Blue Lady, the Norway, started it all for me.

RCI Sovereign of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean (Labadee, San Juan, Saint Thomas, and CocoCay) way back in 1995. The golden age of cruising. Gourmet meals in the MDR, midnight buffets, a souvenir listing of all crew and passengers....everything was so elegant.

I still love cruising, but nothing will compare to that!

Edited by VASOXFANN

DH and I took our first cruise I 1999 aboard the Imagination. We cruised with another couple and had adjacent cabins. Out 5 day itinerary (I think it was out of Fort Lauderdale, but may have been Miami) had 2 ports of call, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman, In Jamaica we did a party boat to Dunns River Fall ($1 Red Stripe beer) and we snorkeled in Grand Cayman. I just made final payment on our 10th cruise -Conquest in Jan 17.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our very first big cruise did it! (We had been on a river cruise on the Danube before that). The inaugural cruise in the Mediterranean on the Emerald Princess. My mom and dad took DH and I as their guests - Mom had been unwell, beginning stages of cancer, but was in perfect health for the whole cruise. The weather was absolutely perfect and we fell in love with this wonderful mode of vacation!

It's not listed in my cruise history (since it was my ex-wife ;) )

Monarch Sun - 1976 - 7-day out of Miami.

Remember going to Haiti, no excursions, just walked around a poverty-stricken area with begging kids and fly-ridden meat hanging on hooks in market.

Ship had only one place to eat, the main dining room.

Industry has come a long way since then.

BTW, that cruise cost about same as a discounted 7-day today!

Me too MuuMuu, the planning of the cruise, hotel and excursions got me hooked for sure. Our first cruise was in 2008 on the Carnival Pride on the Mexican Riviera with another couple. We hit Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, and Mazatlan. It was fun but I couldn't wait to cruise with my boys. I think cruises are such a better value then spending the day standing in lines at theme parks.....although I like doing that occasionally as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

First one

Princess

Pacific Princess

Picked for itinerary in Port most days, in case we didn't like it, and went to one Port Mrs Gut really wanted to go to.

Itinerary

Sydney

Sea

Melbourne

Devonport

Wineglass Bay (Scenic cruising and shore tour by tender if you booked with Princess)

Hobart

Port Arthur

Sea

Sydney.

Our next cruise...

Emerald Princess

Sydney

Sea

Melbourne

Wineglass Bay

Hobart

Port Arthur

Sea

Sydney

The one after

Queen Mary II

SYDNEY

Sea

Port Arthur

Hobart

Sea

Sydney

Think I must have liked it the first time.

2006 Norwegian Crown. Philadelphia to Bermuda. Docked at St. Georges, Hamilton and Kings Wharf. I was hooked wasn't sure about my DW at the time but we are 39 days from our 5th cruise so while she may not be as avid as I am she enjoys them very much.

Happy Cruising and thanks for the fun question that brought back fond memories.