What Cruise got you hooked ???

Carnival Dream, 10/25/15, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

I'm a newbie, but this addiction is real!!! I may be naive, but I can't imagine ever getting sick of cruising. When I got a glimpse of that first whale tale peaking out from above some buildings in NOLA, it was love at first sight. [emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Our first cruise was part of a land/cruise package with Disney in 2001. 4 nights at Disney World, 3 nights on Disney Wonder. We asked the kids a couple years later if they wanted to do a week at Disney World or a 7 night Disney Magic cruise. They chose the cruise without any hesitation.

I don't think most people would classify a military ship as a cruise line. But, I have to say that when my father was reassigned from Alaska to the states, we returned from Anchorage to Seattle aboard a military ship. I was 7 and still remember the feel of standing on the deck looking out over the water. So, I would say I was hooked at a very young age and cruising is now even better.

August 2002 Western Mediterranean on the Splendour of the Seas round trip from Barcelona.

In late 2001, I said to my DW that our 25th anniversary was coming up the following year, and we should consider a cruise. She agreed. I suggested Bermuda since we could drive to the port in NYC, and who at that point of time wanted to fly. She said no, and suggested Alaska, to which I said no. (We have since cruised to both.) I then found the cruise in the Mediterranean that included Barcelona, Rome, Florence, and other ports. Since she is the world's fines elementary art teacher, she readily agreed.

Ten years later for our 35th anniversary we went on a similar cruise since on that first cruise I had screwed up royally (no pun intended) and made us miss Florence when we tried to do it on our own and I got us on a train going in the wrong direction from Livorno. In 2012, we took NCL's Florence on Your Own and booked on line the 2 major museums in advance.

This coming Sunday, we will be on our 11th cruise.

Edited by ontheweb
spelling correction

2006. A 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the QM2. It was DHs 30th anniversary gift to me.

I had spent all those years asking to go on a cruise. But the man spent most of his days and nights on naval destroyers, and was adamant that he wasn't going to spend his vacations at sea too! Finally he was posted ashore. That cruise finally convinced him that cruising could actually be pleasurable.

Although I had sailed previously (aged 2 or 3 so I don't remember it), the cruise that got me hooked was a 3 day cruise from Florida to Nassau in 1960. Wasn't totally thrilled with Nassau but I loved cruising. The ship was called the Evangeline. She was later sold and renamed Yarmouth Castle. Unfortunately, in 1965 she sank due to a fire onboard with the loss of 90 lives.

1983, RCCL, Song of America... never dreamed we would go and go... my DH had been cruising before this cruise... he was on the old SS France when it still had classes of service so he was hooked before our l983 cruise.

We went from RCCL, to Sitmar, then on to Princess, NCL, Royal Cruise Line (our first Mediterranean cruise), Crystal, Holland America, Celebrity and Cunard. Our primary lines now are Princess, Holland America and Cunard.

We have well over 50 cruises... by far my favorite area is the Mediterranean both eastern and western. Love TAs as well... now that we are getting older just as happy to take round trip cruises out of San Francisco our home port to avoid air travel but still enjoy a TA every once in awhile.

2008, Independence of the Seas, Canary Islands.. She was brand spanking new then, had only done a 4 day flip to Ireland and back, and we were voyage #2.

Hooked from when we drove up to the quayside in Southampton. There was another cruise ship in at the same time, and we marvelled at its size......... then we turned a corner and there was IotS - dwarfing the first one!

Spent so much of the trip open-jawed in WOW.....still do in fact!

Our 1st cruise in 1997. Celebrity Zenith from NYC to Bermuda. Celebrated a delayed 25th anniversary and it was great because my DH did not have to fly. We drove from Pittsburgh to Harrisburg and Celebrity provided a coach to NY. He now flies so all is good.

i love reading thru all these posts....its amazing how things have changed since we first had cruised.

remember the mid-night buffets ??....i remember going just to see them since we had heard so much about them.... i remember they had caviar on it and so much food it looked amazing, and that was every night.

remember when they would put chocolates on your pillows ??

i remember one ship we were on...the SS Admiral ...can't remember which line that was, but the rooms were huge...and had floor to ceiling windows.

we sailed to the Bahamas from port Canaveral. anybody remember that one ??

We'd spent many nights on board ferries to Sweden, France, Scotland etc, and began to realise that the best part of a driving holiday was the sea crossing.

It took us until 2006 to book a proper cruise- a fortnight in the Caribbean on Sea Princess. My OH went snorkelling every day, but mainly I stayed on board, and fell in love with the ship.

I didn't even wait to get ON my first cruise to get hooked!! What did it for me was pulling up to the pier and seeing that huge beautiful white ship with the clear blue Plexiglas panels on the balconies gleaming in the sunshine at the dock in Ft Lauderdale, knowing I was getting on it! I was in total awe!

It was 2004, the ship was the Coral Princess, and we were doing a Panama Canal cruise.

Of course, at the end of that 10 day cruise, I just knew I had to do more, which has led to 20+ Princess cruises!

October 1976 -- NCL -- MS Southward -- 7-day Miami-Western Caribbean-Miami.

A month, or so, prior to our wedding we were trying to decide what to do for our honeymoon.

"Have you ever been on an ocean cruise?"

"No, have you?"

"No. You wanna try it?"

"Sure."

A visit with a travel agent a few days later, and we were booked.

I remember taking a redeye to Miami, being bussed to a hotel, catching a 2-hour nap, getting picked up at the hotel, riding a bus to the port, sitting at the port terminal building prior to boarding, thinking, "I'm not having any fun, yet."

Well, that attitude changed pretty quickly.

So, our 40th anniversary is coming up.

Did you know that according to the American Gem Trade Association (now, there's a source) the gem for the 40th anniversary is the Ruby?

Say no more. We are booked on the Ruby Princess and will be spending our anniversary "At Sea."

:)

Edited by XBGuy
Fixed typo