Booking with cruiseline safer in event of flight cancel.

LindaM

Reading HAL's brochure, they make it seem that if the airline cancels the flight, they would assist in getting you on another flight to meet your cruise on time. And, that they would pay if you could not. Doesn't cancellation ins. do this as well? Also, if a flight were cancelled, wouldn't the airline try to rebook you?

I used to be a big chicken and buy cruise air, even though it cost a LOT more. This past time, I saved $600 pp doing it myself. We are flying roundtrip from Athens next year, one day early and one day post. We could do 2 days pre, but paying for the hotel would eat up the flight cost savings, most likely.

Any opinions???

Reading HAL's brochure, they make it seem that if the airline cancels the flight, they would assist in getting you on another flight to meet your cruise on time. And, that they would pay if you could not. Doesn't cancellation ins. do this as well? Also, if a flight were cancelled, wouldn't the airline try to rebook you?

I used to be a big chicken and buy cruise air, even though it cost a LOT more. This past time, I saved $600 pp doing it myself. We are flying roundtrip from Athens next year, one day early and one day post. We could do 2 days pre, but paying for the hotel would eat up the flight cost savings, most likely.

Any opinions???

Brochures are such great marketing pieces, aren't they? I just helped design our main 2014 marketing piece at work and it makes us sound like we could cure cancer, childhood obesity and alzheimers at the same time...and we don't even work in the medical community! :)

I've never read the actual terms and conditions associated with HAL, but I sure as heck would before I gave them a single penny for flights. One thing that may be the case is that, if you purchase a super discounted airline ticket through HAL or another cruise line, the ticket is so restricted that your airline won't put you on another airline. In that case, buying the ticket directly from the airline is superior (as long as it's an airline that's willing to put you on another airline, like legacy carriers in the US. Some airlines, like Southwest, won't do that (but Southwest isn't really an option if you're going to Greece ;)))

Any opinions???

The bottom line that needs the focus, is the cruise lines is NOT the flight vendor. What possible "influence" would they have over the airline's status flyers? They are booking agents, only. An extra step involved with any "assist" they claim they give. You are better off dealing with an airline direct. There is no way a cruise line, is going to make seats appear on full flights etc. With a lot of these flights being the day of the sailing, all the way around you are better off leaving earlier.

There is a sticky at the top of this board that will give you more details for your decisions.

Reading HAL's brochure, they make it seem that if the airline cancels the flight, they would assist in getting you on another flight to meet your cruise on time. And, that they would pay if you could not.
Go back and read the actual words, not what is "seems" like. Lots of wiggle room there.
Doesn't cancellation ins. do this as well? Also, if a flight were cancelled, wouldn't the airline try to rebook you?
"Insurance" is such a general product, I couldn't even start to speak to any specifics. What is relevant are the specific conditions for the actual policy in force. Any generalities are just that....generalities. As for an airline rebooking you, again, that's a function of the terms and conditions of the ticket. On some airlines, you have a lot going for you. On others (such as Allegiant and Spirit), you are stuck waiting for an open seat on one of their own flights only. Even with tickets from the majors, consolidator tickets are HIGHLY restrictive and you may be waiting a while for a seat to your destination.

The only rule is....read the applicable T&Cs for YOUR ticket. Nothing else matters. If you can't read the T&Cs, you can't assume anything. And don't forget the corollary -- all tickets are not created equal, nor are they in practice.

I used to be a big chicken and buy cruise air, even though it cost a LOT more.
Let's see....you paid more and got less (because of restricted bulk tickets from the cruiseline). I don't think that "chicken" is the word....perhaps another form of poultry.
This past time, I saved $600 pp doing it myself. We are flying roundtrip from Athens next year, one day early and one day post. We could do 2 days pre, but paying for the hotel would eat up the flight cost savings, most likely.
Not necessarily. 4 star hotels in ATH can often be procured on Priceline or Hotwire in the $100 range or lower. Plus, you get to spend two days in Athens....what is that worth? How much would it cost you to go there on a separate occasion? Perhaps this is a penny-wise situation.
Any opinions???
Not from me.....;)

Let's break it down...

1) "they make it seem that if....they would assist..." Yes, they do....they "make it seem..." Perhaps they would be of great assistance, but there is no guarantee. Anecdotal stories have been posted at both ends of the spectrum.

2) Does cancellation insurance do this as well? I assume you mean do they assist you in getting rebooked? Generally, no. Insurance is there to reimburse you for allowable expenses in the event of a cancellation. They don't actually help you rebook, but if you follow the rules, they may reimburse you later for the alternate last minute ticket (or hotel accommodations or whatever) you have to buy and pay for up front.

3) Would the airline try to rebook you? Generally, yes. Although you may be a much higher priority with them if you've purchased your ticket directly from the airline. If you booked through the cruiseline, they may refer you back to the cruiseline. (Good luck if it's a weekend) Or, if the cruiseline booked you a cheap consolidator type ticket, the airline may help you but only AFTER they've helped all the pax who bought published fares. This may or may not leave you with suitable options for reaching your ship in time.

The last (Really last!) time we used the cruiseline air, they booked us on a flight that would have missed the ship. :rolleyes:

I had to pay a deviation fee to change to a flight that barely made it in time.

Next cruise we went 2 days early. :cool:

Thanks for all your truly helpful replies. I meant that insurance would pay (in time) for flights to catch up with the cruise. That is what makes cruise air sound appealing, especially to newbies. I believe my cruise insurance would cover that scenario.

It makes so much sense that it would/should be easier to deal with the airline, without the middleman.

I appreciate your help. I will book our next flights by myself again!!

Thanks for all your truly helpful replies. I meant that insurance would pay (in time) for flights to catch up with the cruise. That is what makes cruise air sound appealing, especially to newbies. I believe my cruise insurance would cover that scenario.

It makes so much sense that it would/should be easier to deal with the airline, without the middleman.

I appreciate your help. I will book our next flights by myself again!!

Not necessarily true with the "catch up", either. First, you had better have your passport for any of those "catch up" scenarios!!! Second, there are different cruises that leave from the US that prohibit catching up and boarding at the next port. What if you booked a TA??? Cruise to Hawaii???

When you find your preferred airline schedule, please use common sense and book generous connections. This is especially true for connections in European airports that you are not familiar with.

Monitor your flights for potential changes.

I may have misunderstood your post as you mentioned roundtrips FROM Athens. If that is the case you may incur additional taxes but you will have greater built in protection under European regulations.

If using multiple airlines, it is best to book under one airline alliance.

Also, watch weight limits for the low price carriers. And understand that very few are in alliances so connection times are even more critical.

You will always have more control of your flights if you book them yourselves.

If you find something that works and you still have questions, please do not hesitate to ask BEFORE you book. There are some well traveled posters who can help.

As noted there is a lot of information on this on the Sticky Thread.

I like to control my own destiny.

I have used our preferred cruise lines air a few times but only when I can select the flights. I am particular about connecting flights and the allotted times should I change flights and will not leave that in anyones hands but my own.

Remember if your flight is cancelled or delayed the ship will likely not wait for you. Some people seem to think it will.

The key is to know all of the rules and that includes limitations so there are no surprises.

Keith

I meant that insurance would pay (in time) for flights to catch up with the cruise.

When relying on insurance, generally YOU take care of getting yourself rebooked. That includes paying for the tickets. If you're talking about last minute tickets, that will likely involve a significant expense....much higher than whatever you originally paid for your tickets. Assuming it's a qualified expense, the insurance company will reimburse you, but it won't be until well after your trip is over. Please don't be fooled into thinking that you call them up, tell them the flight you need to be rebooked on and they book it for you or immediately wire the money to you to do so yourself. It just doesn't work that way.

I would have reservations about the re-booking aspect but with cruise lines subsidizing some European flights to fill their ships there have been some very attractive airfares offerings lately. Last month I flew to Europe for less then half of what I would have expected to pay. It makes sense to shop.

When relying on insurance, generally YOU take care of getting yourself rebooked. That includes paying for the tickets. If you're talking about last minute tickets, that will likely involve a significant expense....much higher than whatever you originally paid for your tickets. Assuming it's a qualified expense, the insurance company will reimburse you, but it won't be until well after your trip is over. Please don't be fooled into thinking that you call them up, tell them the flight you need to be rebooked on and they book it for you or immediately wire the money to you to do so yourself. It just doesn't work that way.

That's why I said insurance would pay "in time". I know that. One time, we missed a flight due to weather. The tour director hired a limo to pick us up in Milan, after the tour company told us to take trains to meet the tour 5 hours south. We paid him, and insurance reimbursed us.

When you find your preferred airline schedule, please use common sense and book generous connections. This is especially true for connections in European airports that you are not familiar with.

Monitor your flights for potential changes.

I may have misunderstood your post as you mentioned roundtrips FROM Athens. If that is the case you may incur additional taxes but you will have greater built in protection under European regulations.

If using multiple airlines, it is best to book under one airline alliance.

Also, watch weight limits for the low price carriers. And understand that very few are in alliances so connection times are even more critical.

You will always have more control of your flights if you book them yourselves.

If you find something that works and you still have questions, please do not hesitate to ask BEFORE you book. There are some well traveled posters who can help.

I always book generous connections. We had a 3 1/2 hour connection in Ams. in Sept. Actually, that really wasn't enough, because we were to be at our gate for a security check an hour and 15 min. before boarding time. That flight had an issue Christmas day years ago. I have no problem booking Delta's Skylounge and waiting. One in AMS is terrific--much better than in the US, due to it being run by KLM. I am looking to use KLM again. Very civilized. I may have misworded my post. We are flying from DTW to Athens, roundtrip.

Not necessarily true with the "catch up", either. First, you had better have your passport for any of those "catch up" scenarios!!! Second, there are different cruises that leave from the US that prohibit catching up and boarding at the next port. What if you booked a TA??? Cruise to Hawaii???

My post said flying to Athen, roundtrip. The "catch up" would be if our initial flights was cancelled, and nothing was available until the next day or later.

I have also learned that getting to the continent is most important on the intial flight. I'd rather be 3 hours away from cruise embarkation there, than stranded in the US until the following day. It's probably easier to find a flight on the same continent. And, I suppose there are trains, as well. Maybe.

My post said flying to Athen, roundtrip. The "catch up" would be if our initial flights was cancelled, and nothing was available until the next day or later.

I have also learned that getting to the continent is most important on the intial flight. I'd rather be 3 hours away from cruise embarkation there, than stranded in the US until the following day. It's probably easier to find a flight on the same continent. And, I suppose there are trains, as well. Maybe.

You are correct. It sounds like you are doing very well. Don't be dismayed by some of the negative posts above. Same characters most of the time :D

My bad. I got off onto a general tangent about Cruise Air and the belief that they will help you "catch up" with the cruise...

Since you'll be starting the cruise in Athens, just be sure you research all the possibilities, land and air, to get you to the next possible port. At least, then you'll be far more prepared than anyone else on your flight going to the same cruise. Deal with the cost later ;)

The problem with Athens, just as a generality, is that there are no close airports that would have flights directly (non-stop) from the US. A glitch that might occur in Europe would present multiple options to Athens.

Linda M knows the score about flights, but like many of us the allure of a lower priced Cruise Air ticket, makes one wonder about dynamic pricing.

That's why I said insurance would pay "in time". I know that. One time, we missed a flight due to weather. The tour director hired a limo to pick us up in Milan, after the tour company told us to take trains to meet the tour 5 hours south. We paid him, and insurance reimbursed us.

When you said "in time," I read it as "in time to rebook." I see now that when you said insurance would pay "in time," you meant insurance would pay "eventually." Sorry for the confusion

We actually had this experience of American canceling a flight due to weather. 3 am recording informing me that our 6 am flight was cancelled. I could not get American on the line, busy busy. I finally woke up enough to remember we bought the tickets through HAL. I called HAL, 3:30AM and was immediately booked a little later in the day on another carrier. They do not have to stick with the original airline, and find the reservations for you. Since we would be arriving later than expected in Vancouver, HAL told me to take a cab and they would reimburse. (I needed wheelchair cab). It worked well, hotel expected us.

With each trip I have checked fares with HAL and separately. First trip to Alaska in 2006 buying ourselves saved 50%. Next trip in 2012 HAL travel was less and I was really glad after the weather mess.

I also consider where we are going. If we are flying into an area where getting to the next dock to pick up the ship is not that expensive, then I book our own if it is less. But if it looks like a big expense to get to the next dock, ie hotel and flight, then booking through HAL seems safer.

So in summary, I check the cost both ways, but can say that HAL took good care of us when the flight was cancelled.

wheelchair traveler

We actually had this experience of American canceling a flight due to weather. 3 am recording informing me that our 6 am flight was cancelled. I could not get American on the line, busy busy. I finally woke up enough to remember we bought the tickets through HAL. I called HAL, 3:30AM and was immediately booked a little later in the day on another carrier. They do not have to stick with the original airline, and find the reservations for you. Since we would be arriving later than expected in Vancouver, HAL told me to take a cab and they would reimburse. (I needed wheelchair cab). It worked well, hotel expected us.

With each trip I have checked fares with HAL and separately. First trip to Alaska in 2006 buying ourselves saved 50%. Next trip in 2012 HAL travel was less and I was really glad after the weather mess.

I also consider where we are going. If we are flying into an area where getting to the next dock to pick up the ship is not that expensive, then I book our own if it is less. But if it looks like a big expense to get to the next dock, ie hotel and flight, then booking through HAL seems safer.

So in summary, I check the cost both ways, but can say that HAL took good care of us when the flight was cancelled.

wheelchair traveler

It ALL DEPENDS on what the UNDERLYING FARE rules are. HAL DOES NOT have Choice Air/EZ Air as does Princess and Celebrity/RCCL.

So the kind of tickets you get with HAL MAY make a BIG difference in how your air is handled.

ALL cruise air is NOT the same. AND if you CANNOT read the underlying FARE RULE for a flight, you truly have NO idea what you have purchased or what the limitations are.

I recently (within the last 3 months) purchased a PACKAGE deal from Gate 1 Travel to go to Iceland in November to see the Northern Lights. Due to the very, very cheap price (just over $1000 for RT air from NY and hotel for 3 nights plus 2 tours), I really thought these were consolidator tickets with all the restrictions. I didn't care-I was flying to Iceland, seeing the sights, had a hotel for 3 nights and was cutting out of the tour in Iceland as I am going on a Celebrity cruise from Rome to FLL on Dec. 1. I am making my own way from Iceland to Rome and paying for it myself. ALL OK'd by Gate 1.

I was totally shocked that the tickets were PUBLISHED fare Icelandair tickets (published fare PACKAGE tour price). So even if the flight is delayed or canceled, I still have protection to make my trip. Now there are NOT a lot of flights to Iceland, so I will take what I can get. But I will at least get to London or someplace on the Continent if all else fails and I don't make it to Iceland (been there before but NOT when the Northern Lights are available).

You never know what you get with cruise air or a packaged tour UNLESS you can read the ENTIRE fare rules. Just remember-the cruise contract OVERRIDES ANY air, hotels, excursions or transport (from the port) and you really can't fight that. It is in plain and simple language-the cruise line is NOT responsible for anything they DO NOT OWN nor do they have any liability. You can't sue and you can't find them at fault. They CONTRACT with THIRD PARTIES and the delineation is pretty clear.

I am glad HAL took care of you. It is NOT the NORM!!!!!

I always plan to arrive 4 days before the cruise for the reasons you mentioned. In fact this is the reason why I book a cruise to places I have never visited before or ones I would like to return to.

For instance I have a cruise this April from Santos(Sao Paulo) to Barcelona . I found an airfare one way from San Francisco at $474 to arrive 5 days before the cruise does vs $650+ if I arrived the day of or the day before the cruise.

I found a Mercure Hotel with breakfast at $88 a night. Then another Mercure in Santos for $125. I can then take a bus on the Thursday late morning from Sao Paulo to Santos for $15 a person vs the RCCL transfer which is going for more.

I have never been to Barcelona so I found a Boutique hotel on Hotwire for $89 per night+$20 in taxes and fees in a 4 star hotel located in the Passig Garcia area which is about a 20 minute walk to Las Ramblas and close to the metro.

There are air buses from Sao Paulo Airport for $15 per person then a $10 taxi ride from Paulista to our hotel much cheaper than the $80 shuttle that would take about the same amount of time.

From Barcelona our hotel is a 10 minute walk to the bus and the bus is only $6 per person directly to the airport.

In fact you can save money by not having to miss your flight and cruise. Taking insurance is a gamble so we actually don't buy it since knock on wood we have been healthy and never had to cancel a trip due to illness etc.

What I do is write down possible flights in case I miss my flight. I look at flights on the airlines partners like American, British Airways etc if the flight is cancelled I can then have the agent look up other flights.

I also write down the Ticket# just in case there is a problem. Airline can protet you on other flights if there is a mechanical issue.

I also write down the Ticket# just in case there is a problem.

VERY wise precaution. Especially in today's world of ever-increasing codeshares, having the actual ticket number can be essential. Many airlines have incompatible locator systems, which can result in "I can't find your reservation". When the proverbial stuff hits the proverbial fan, it can be a lifesaver. More than once, I've had locators "disappear" but was able to recover when the agent had the ticket number.

Then there is the reverse. I currently have an award reservation through DL SkyPesos. Since it involves a partner airline, it requires special ticket processing. It's been four days now, and though I have a confirmation number, there is NO ticket number attached. So, technically, I do NOT have a ticket to fly. Time to call and get this resolved. Found out this little "gotcha" several years ago when I similarly had a confirmation but no ticket. Noticed it on my record and luckily got it fixed before finding out the hard way mid trip.

So, kudos on having that wonderful 13 digit number with you as you travel. Easy enough to put on a slip of paper and stash in your wallet -- or log it into your phone/PDA/whatever-they-are-called-nowdays.

We often book thru the cruise line We encountered an unusual situation on a cruise leaving from Chili; our cruise was scheduled to sail right after the earthquake. The influence of Princess got us rebooked on the first international flight permitted to land in Santiago after the quake. Had we booked out own air, it wouldn't have been possible to make the cruise.

We often book thru the cruise line We encountered an unusual situation on a cruise leaving from Chili; our cruise was scheduled to sail right after the earthquake. The influence of Princess got us rebooked on the first international flight permitted to land in Santiago after the quake. Had we booked out own air, it wouldn't have been possible to make the cruise.

This is incorrect. While you personally got on a flight to Santiago, 500+ other people DID NOT. Had nothing to do with the influence of Princess. Can you tell us what fare class or under what fare rules your cruise air tickets were booked? And in this situation, it was highest fare classes got re-accommodated first into Santiago but there were other options NOT available to those with cruise air.

Those that booked their own flights were offered a couple of things by various airlines. AA/LAN offered to fly people into Mendoza and then LAN bused them to Santiago. I know, I had business in Chile and originally was going to land the day after the earthquake. AA transferred my ticket to LAN, I flew into Mendoza and was bused to Santiago.

I was also offered the option of a trip to Buenos Aires and a free bus to Santiago. Long haul buses in South America are very often better than domestic first class air in the USA. Turbus is particularly good. Lie flat seats, your own little "cabin", food, beer, wine, entertainment, games and the free bonus of sightseeing. The airlines put on a LOT of buses during the earthquake and shutdown of SCL to get people out of BA to Santiago. I ran into people on the cruise who had flown Delta into BA and been given the free bus ride. Most of those with cruise air tickets could NOT take advantage of the free bus ride because very often, cruise air tickets are NOT re-routable. So you had to fly into SCL or don't fly at all.

It's all in the fare rules and unless you can read the ENTIRE fare rules, you truly have no idea what you are purchasing.

Archived