Why are Roll Calls so slow?

Where is everybody?

Some one else posted today saying that the activity in this forum has slowed almost to a stop. I wonder why - it is not the same for other lines.

I posted 2 threads here in May and have virtually no response. I do know people on both cruses (Voyager London-London in August and Navigator NY-Montreal Sept/Oct) but most are not CC members.

And specifically since the Navigator has been announced as the WC ship in 2017 - if people are considering this trip and have not sailed on her, a short US based cruise would be a good idea. I have no problems with her but she is different than the Mariner/Voyager.

Again . . . .Where is everybody?

Peggy

Thanks Kathy.

Someplace specific on Facebook? Or just "in general"?

I have to laugh - I started on the internet in the '90s and spent time on CompuServe's Travel Forum. All that stopped when AOL took over and other places opened up but occasionally - a few times a year - I check back. There are still a number of familiar names - not very many messages but familiar names.

I also read one other cruise line's forum. That one used to be quiet but has perked up recently - just as this one slowed down.

Hopefully, things will change here.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

I posted 2 threads here in May and have virtually no response. I do know people on both cruses (Voyager London-London in August and Navigator NY-Montreal Sept/Oct) but most are not CC members.

Pardon me for checking... but I cannot find any thread started by you, here, in May.

Do you mean any postings on the Roll Call? ...rather than here?

Peggy -- if you are talking about posts on Roll Call, IMO, it depends upon the cruise. We have an active Roll Call that started in February, 2014 for a November, 2015 cruise. I noticed that some of the Explorer Roll Call threads are really, really quiet........ however, our transatlantic cruise on the Explorer is one of the most active I've been on. I feel that the Roll Call threads are much more congenial than on this board - probably because posters that want to argue aren't there.

I usually don't post much on the roll calls until about 6 months before a cruise. That way, I know for sure I am "on". Right now the only roll call I am posting on is for our Mariner cruise in September, even though I have 2 more regent cruises scheduled for next year as well as a silversea one.

Good point Rachel. There isn't even a Roll Call yet for "our" Alaska cruise next year. It also seems that there are more people new to Regent and/or cruising that take Caribbean, Alaska and summer European cruises. Many of these people are either unaware of Cruise Critic or do not know about Roll Calls. Directing posters from the main Regent board to Roll Call happens all the time.

I tend to be active on Roll Call - until the cruise nears. Then I pass the responsibility of planning the meet and greet to someone else as I no longer like attending them (with a few exceptions).

I started a Dubai to Cape Town 2015 roll call in January this year and only 6 people,including me, have posted on it. The last post started the 2nd page.

The same cruise at the same time last year started 18 mths out and had 12 pages by the time they sailed.

There looks to be suite availability in most categories so we may not have a full ship like last years cruise.

In 2016 I don't think theis cruise is offered.

I sailed Regent twice in 2010, in January and December, and started the roll call in both cases. I think 4 others eventually signed on to one, and as many as 6 on the other. I came to the conclusion that Regent folks just don't socialize on line.

On my last Oceania cruise, 156 were on the roil call!

I just checked both cruises on the Regent site to see cabin availability and everything is either "not available", "wait list" or "guarantee" so it looks like the ship is reasonable full.

Ah well.

An aside:I will also say that I don't always add my name to the Roll Call very early but 2 months and 3 1/2 months is not all that early.

Peggy

Regent's all-inclusive policy really nullifies a lot of the usual pre-cruise chatter we see in other cruise lines' forums. No need to debate ship's tour offers vs do it yourself, organize small group tours; discuss paying for drink package, or how much to tip. We are all on autopilot with the exception of arguing about the quality of food or drink; luxury experience, or whether my room should be called a suite rather than a cabin.

All I have to worry about is making sure there is Hendrick's gin within arms reach. :D

Z and TB

Regent's all-inclusive policy really nullifies a lot of the usual pre-cruise chatter we see in other cruise lines' forums. No need to debate ship's tour offers vs do it yourself, organize small group tours; discuss paying for drink package, or how much to tip. We are all on autopilot with the exception of arguing about the quality of food or drink; luxury experience, or whether my room should be called a suite rather than a cabin.

All I have to worry about is making sure there is Hendrick's gin within arms reach. :D

Z and TB

Z, when you are on Roll Call, everyone wants to participate:D You do make a great point regarding not needing to organize small group tours. This keeps Oceania Roll Calls very busy. There is little to post on RC other than when and where the meet and greet will be held. The extremely active Roll Call we have (with Z) and my Cape Town to Cape Town Roll Call are a bit unusual. There is a lot of information to share on the CT to CT Roll Call (pre and post cruise stuff) and our Explorer Roll Call has a group of very goofy and fun posters (quite unusual in my experience).

Z -- how exactly do you plan on getting Hendrick's gin on our cruise? If you accomplish this, you will make another member of our group VERY happy -- mudhen loves Hendrick's.

Z and TB

On the recent Navigator Roll Call that we were almost on with you...

...40 whopping posts and you and I did the majority. :p

I think many regent passengers do not believe the internet will catch on. :p

nav-rc.jpg.6d9fca861560249e75f70f0234828323.jpg

On the recent Navigator Roll Call that we were almost on with you...

...40 whopping posts and you and I did the majority. :p

I think many regent passengers do not believe the internet will catch on. :p

You're right. Have you checked out our Explorer Roll Call lately? It is really a lot of fun. Wish that cruise were not so far out!

Maybe you can teach Regent passengers about the internet (you're right - some are still in the last century;) )

Z and TB

I would be ever so grateful if you could take care of loading the Hendrick's....it's gonna be a long cruise so maybe a few cases with our names on it. I can bring a crate of cukes.....

After my experience with the Hendricks on board Voyager a couple of months ago, I trust you'll receive a more favourable response than I did. In the meantime, I'll pour one here at home this evening and raise my glass in hope <gg>

I noticed a slowdown as well. We're sailing in just about 6 weeks and the roll call for that cruise has been dead, dead, dead. I'm used to having 6-10 people chiming in, at least, but on this one, I think it's me and two others...

Don't bother me none, though, podner. I'ma gonna be on that thar boat, regardless of that thar post count. :p

Greetings from South Beach. I started a Roll Call for a November 12th, 2015 cruise on Navigator. The only two posts there are mine. Last time we took Navigator, the same thing happened. On June 22nd, we are departing Los Angeles on Oceania, Insignia, and the thread is quite active. Our cruise was supposed to the last one on a WC, but a fire ended that. The next WC begins in Miami when we get off. When we traveled on Navigator, the other guests were social, and very pleasant. I noticed that many of them did not seem too interested in computers. There were very few sitting around using the ports' free wifi. Vive la difference!

Mary

There were only 6 on our recent Alaska roll call. We did meet a great couple on board for drinks first night that turned into dinner and a few teas. It was nice to see friendly faces out and about.