Cruise pricing over time.

brekia2000

It's the law of supply & demand. It's a function of the cruise, the time of year & the cabin. I have seen it go both ways.

3 years ago, I was watching 2 cruises. One the price skyrocketed & practically tripled over the months I was watching. I booked the other because the price plummeted. Sadly my airfare went up & I paid as much per person to fly there as I did for the cabin with 2 people in it.

This cruise, the price initially went down. It was about $20 pp above rock bottom when we booked. Then some categories continued to go down but ours went up, almost 1.5 x more then we paid. However, the cruiseline added in some amazing perks after our final payment date so we were closed out of those promotions.

So it all depends.

If you want a brand new ship or a busy time of year (holidays & summer) the prices usually go up. If you can be more flexible, you might score a deal by waiting but you will have to be flexible with the week you sail.

I am new to cruising and want to know if cruise prices go down the closer you get? Are there discounts offered the closer you get or do the price go up?

Cruise pricing is based on supply and demand. If a ship is selling well, the price goes up. If the ship is not selling to well, the price goes down. It is possible for a popular cruise to sell out six months or more prior to the sail date.

You should also know that if you book, most cruise lines will give you a lower price if one comes along prior to final payment. After final payment, any adjustment or credit is subject to individual cruise line policy. You rarely get the new price, but may get on board credits or upgrades to ease your price difference.

If cabin location is important, and it is for me, waiting always carried risk. I have have seen prices go up and down. It's really not a discount but a reduction in price when it decreases, but you may get OBC rather than a decrease in out of pocket dollars. That means those that have already booked can't ask for the lower price. You don't mention the cruise lines you are interested in, but on some you loose perks you received on booking if you go for lower price. On others if you wait you risk getting a less desirable cabin. That's the main reason I use a reliable TA - their advice can be invaluable.

If cabin location is important, and it is for me, waiting always carried risk. I have have seen prices go up and down. It's really not a discount but a reduction in price when it decreases, but you may get OBC rather than a decrease in out of pocket dollars. That means those that have already booked can't ask for the lower price. You don't mention the cruise lines you are interested in, but on some you loose perks you received on booking if you go for lower price. On others if you wait you risk getting a less desirable cabin. That's the main reason I use a reliable TA - their advice can be invaluable.

While I agree with everything you say, you still have to look at the entire picture. Using round numbers, I booked a new cruise while on board a cruise. I was told the best deal I could get was $4,800 with a $200 OBC. I showed the person the printout showing the price should be $3,800. I was told that was the best I could do. However, I could have my TA look at it when if I wanted. After the cruise I checked the price and sure enough it was $3,800. I had my TA re-book it at the lower price. However, the cruise line took away my OBC. I still saved $800 and I will no longer book a cruise while on board that cruise line again.

As others have said, the industry prices using a basic supply and demand philosophy (often called "Yield Management") which is simply pricing to get the most money per cabin....but sell nearly all the cabins. We have snagged some amazing last minute (inside the final booking period) fares on quite a few lines (RCI, Celebrity, HAL, and Princess). Probably our best deal was a very high category balcony cabin on RCI's Jewel of the Seas for which we paid about $43 per passenger day (that is the total cost including taxes and fees) on a TA repositioning cruise. In addition, we got a generous OBC on that ship, and our Diamond status got us a lot of free booze (this was in the days when Diamond could still use the Concierge Lounge). In the end, DW and I figured that RCI actually paid us to take that particular cruise. On Celebrity we once grabbed an amazing last minute deal which Celebrity sold as a "Military" rate. But on Celebrity, just about any honorably discharged Vet can get Military Rates. And I recall they also had an amazing rate for teachers.

The key to finding amazing deals is to simply shop around among multiple large cruise agencies. It is also very helpful to be registered with multiple cruise agencies as some of the best deals are only marketed quietly by direct e-mail.....as the cruise lines will sometimes prohibit the agencies from publicly advertising the rates. Most of the decent cruise agencies maintain special customer e-mail lists (this is all free to the customer). Some agencies will even ask customers for their cruising "profile" and whether they would be interested in last minute specials, special deals on longer cruises, etc.

Some of the best deals we have ever seen were never offered to those who only book directly with the cruise line. Apparently, the cruise lines find it advantageous to unload excess inventory (empty cabins) very quietly through certain favored agencies.

Lastly, we should mention "upsells" which are when a cruise line will offer a much higher category of cabin (to those who have already booked another cabin) at a huge discount. This seems to be a particularly popular tactic on HAL. We were once offered a last minute upsell to the largest Penthouse on a cruise (when we had booked a simply outside cabin) which would have had us paying less then half the cost normally charged (even after typical discounts) for that cabin (we turned down the deal).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I usually book a cruise at least 10-11 months in advance and the price usually goes up. Right now my cruise for next September has climbed $150 over what I am paying.

There are sales sometimes that you can take advantage of but it can mean giving up the cabin you have and getting another. I received a triple upgrade from an inside to a balcony last year. The price later dropped $200 during a sale but I was not going to give up the upgrade worth $1000.

My experience with Princess.

The cruise is on the Crown Princess LA - Catalina - Ensenada - LA on 2 Feb 15

I first booked the cruise in August. The cost for an aft-facing balcony was $659 (per person). I kept track of the cruise.

A few weeks later the fare went for the same cabin went to $629 plus free admission to a specialty restaurant and a bottle of champagne. I called and was given this fare.

A few more weeks go by. The fare is now $469 but no free champagne or specialty restaurant. Princess once again honored the lower fare and refunded the difference between what I'd already paid and the new fare.

A couple of weeks ago the fare for the cabin was $359 and a $250 on-board credit. I called. This time the reservations agent said that I couldn't the $359 fare because this was for new bookings only. However, she did give me a "free" upgrade to a mini-suite. When I first made the reservations the mini-suite was over $1,000.

The moral of this story? Keep abreast of the fare and call. They may say you can't get the lower fare but you won't know unless you ask.

Edited by damiross

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. It's funny how it can be so different for everyone.

Booking depends a lot on your situation.

Are you working or retired? Those still working have to get approval for time off. Retirees can travel whenever they please.

Do you want a specific experience or just the cheapest price? Some popular categories go early. Late promotions usually have restrictions. They also tend to be guarantee categories where you cannot pick a specific cabin. And the later you book the more money the cruise line will want as a deposit with very late bookings requiring immediate full payment.

It's possible to lose the waiting game because your ship can sell out or prices can go up before you make up your mind.

Once you see an agreeable price, book it and then never look at the price again. Some people have a miserable vacation before they even step on board because they think they're been screwed if somebody else paid less.

Once you see an agreeable price, book it and then never look at the price again. Some people have a miserable vacation before they even step on board because they think they're been screwed if somebody else paid less.

I disagree. I've obtained several price reductions and one free upgrade by asking for the new lower price. It pays to check what is happening with the price of your cabin.

Both of my upcoming cruise have had only price increases since we booked. The one next November has gone up $1000 for our cabin category ($500/person). The cabin in two weeks has almost doubled in price we booked.

Maybe you can sell the cabin back to the cruise line for the amount of your deposit plus $500 and then when the cruise line resells the cabin, it will make an additional $500 profit.

It's possible to lose the waiting game because your ship can sell out or prices can go up before you make up your mind.

That is possibly the worst advice we have seen dispensed here on CC. While what you say might be right for some cruises, there are many times when checking reaps amazing rewards. In fact, just this past year we booked a 38 day Oosterdam cruise and our original price was about $22,000. After repricing the cruise 3 times (over the next 7 months) are final price was just a little over $12,000. So if we had followed your advice "to never look at it again" we would have spent about $10,000 more then necessary.

And this is just one example. We have probably been on nearly 100 cruises (have lost count over the years) and a majority of those cruises ended-up costing us significantly less then our original booking price.

Hank

The best advice I can say is if you have a cruise or two in mind, but aren't to set on specific room types (or styles depending on cruise line) then wait for a good sale. If you have been reading here and want a specific type of room, then book early to get it. Some types of rooms that go fast are Aft Balconies, Suites (on certain lines), and rooms like the Carnival "Bowling Alley" balconies (regular size room, balcony goes behind elevators and is what the balcony would be on 3 rooms instead of 1).

Sometimes prices go up during sales, but sometimes the sales are worth it also. Take example out NCL cruise I haven't changed my signature from.

Booked during a sale which included an extra $400 OBC and a reduced deposit. The next sale was only $250 OBC, dinner for 2, and chocolate covered strawberries.

Right now I am waiting for the next good sale to book. I have a few choices in mind all on the same week, so it will probably depends on what cabins are left.

If you want to see what prices have been doing there is a good website out there for it. Search for Cruise + Fish. It is a tracking website that shows you all the changes that have happened in a fare. You can pay to have them send you alerts, or you can just check it a bunch.

That is possibly the worst advice we have seen dispensed here on CC. While what you say might be right for some cruises, there are many times when checking reaps amazing rewards. In fact, just this past year we booked a 38 day Oosterdam cruise and our original price was about $22,000. After repricing the cruise 3 times (over the next 7 months) are final price was just a little over $12,000. So if we had followed your advice "to never look at it again" we would have spent about $10,000 more then necessary.

And this is just one example. We have probably been on nearly 100 cruises (have lost count over the years) and a majority of those cruises ended-up costing us significantly less then our original booking price.

Hank

Congratulations on your superior intellect, masterful fact finding abilities, and shrewd negotiation skills.

You've obviously done this only on sailings in low demand or 1) no late deal would be offered and 2) it would only apply to new bookings. On my particular TA in June (high season) the popular categories are already sold out. Had I waited for a "deal" it might be an inside over the nightclub if at all. (Although that might suit some people just fine.)

I've read enough posts here from people who whine that their cruise line won't switch their booking to the late promotion, they can only get a guarantee with the late promotion, and even blast their TA for telling them to wait but now the price had gone up. That's a terrible way to start a vacation - to feel disappointed and somehow take before even boarding the ship.

So I stand by my statement. Book at an agreeable price and then never look at the prices again.

Congratulations on your superior intellect, masterful fact finding abilities, and shrewd negotiation skills.

You've obviously done this only on sailings in low demand or 1) no late deal would be offered and 2) it would only apply to new bookings. On my particular TA in June (high season) the popular categories are already sold out. Had I waited for a "deal" it might be an inside over the nightclub if at all. (Although that might suit some people just fine.)

I've read enough posts here from people who whine that their cruise line won't switch their booking to the late promotion, they can only get a guarantee with the late promotion, and even blast their TA for telling them to wait but now the price had gone up. That's a terrible way to start a vacation - to feel disappointed and somehow take before even boarding the ship.

So I stand by my statement. Book at an agreeable price and then never look at the prices again.

I agree with Hiltner. This is not good advise. Book early and check on the price often. If the price goes down, take advantage of the new lower price. If the price goes up, keep the old lower price. I have obtained several price reductions and one free upgrade this way. Doing it your way means that you can potentially miss out on a price reduction. And if the price goes up, so what.

I guess this thread reminds me of a variant of a very old saying. "See no price drops, hear about no price drops, and never talk about lower prices." Strange philosophy but as avid stockholders of cruise line stock we do appreciate BlueRiband's enthusiasm for paying the highest prices :) From our point of view, the 2-3 minutes a week it takes us to quickly check current pricing has paid big dividends. And the only downside are the TV commercials I miss while checking pricing. The upside can be savings from a few hundred dollars to many thousands of dollars.

And by the way, most agencies and cruise lines will not tell you about price drops (for the obvious reasons). But there is a least one internet-based company that will monitor price changes for as little as 99 cents per booking. Although we prefer to do our own price watching, we have met other cruisers who have saved large amounts of money by using such a service.

Hank

I guess this thread reminds me of a variant of a very old saying. "See no price drops, hear about no price drops, and never talk about lower prices." Strange philosophy but as avid stockholders of cruise line stock we do appreciate BlueRiband's enthusiasm for paying the highest prices...

Under an anniversary promotion offered by my cruise line there is OBC and an amenity that wasn't offered when I first booked. So why not call and ask for the new price? Net difference would be $200 more. Yes the base fare, thanks to the law of supply and demand, has gone up to the point there it cancels out any promotional savings. And in cancelling out my existing booking I would have forfeited my carefully chosen, southern facing stateroom.

Some of us don't take the approach, "fire, aim, ready".

Under an anniversary promotion offered by my cruise line there is OBC and an amenity that wasn't offered when I first booked. So why not call and ask for the new price? Net difference would be $200 more. Yes the base fare, thanks to the law of supply and demand, has gone up to the point there it cancels out any promotional savings. And in cancelling out my existing booking I would have forfeited my carefully chosen, southern facing stateroom.

Some of us don't take the approach, "fire, aim, ready".

I booked a cruise on board for (using round figures) $4,800 with a $200 OBC. I was told this was the best deal I could get. After disembarking I had my agent check the price. I had her rebook me for $3,800, however, I lost the OBC. Still I saved $800.

When you rebook, you do not give up the cabin you are in. You simply rebook for the new lower price. The head in the sand approach you recommend will cost the average cruiser thousands after a few cruises.