Overheard on a ship

BillOh

I have to admit, although it wasn't on a cruise, my first trip to Hawaii and I referenced the mainland as the US. I KNOW HI is a state .... I KNOW I wasn't the only one who has ever done this .... the cashier smiled and told me everyone says that. I'm sure it was, at the time, more of not knowing how to reference the contiguous 48.

It was steak night in the MDR, Ribeyes, I heard table mate order his well done, burnt. crispy, dead (his words):loudcry:, A sin in my opinion as I like my beef as raw as possible, but still hot. Then he ordered ketchup when the steak arrives to pour on top.:confused:

It was steak night in the MDR, Ribeyes, I heard table mate order his well done, burnt. crispy, dead (his words):loudcry:, A sin in my opinion as I like my beef as raw as possible, but still hot. Then he ordered ketchup when the steak arrives to pour on top.:confused:

Of course, if he poured enough ketchup on it, that would make it a serving of vegetable - satisfying the contested USDA classification; unfortunately the serving of carbon upon which it rested probably would no longer qualify as meat.

Funny how we all have different taste. I can't even look at a rare, bloody steak without cringing, as I like mine with just a little pink. As far as the ketchup; a good cut of meat doesn't need anything, except a baked potato with some butter and sour cream IMHO.

Different strokes for different folks... I love ketchup on steak! I will usually only use ketchup at home or casual restaurants though and even I admit a really fantastic steak doesn't need anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A lady was yelling at the person at the guest service counter insisting that she must eat at 5pm every evening or she would become deathly ill.

I listened for a couple of minutes, then asked the lady how she planned to handle the four time zone changes we would have on the trip.

After a few seconds of silence, she quietly walked away.

I am sure I heard a few chuckles from others in line.

Why do you care about how other people like their food. How does it impact your life? BTW - my wife would say that eating very rare beef is totally disgusting.

Different strokes for different folks... I love ketchup on steak! I will usually only use ketchup at home or casual restaurants though and even I admit a really fantastic steak doesn't need anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My family refers to ketchup as "American Soy Sauce". :D

Why do you care about how other people like their food. How does it impact your life? BTW - my wife would say that eating very rare beef is totally disgusting.

Come on now. This is just for fun. None of it is really going to impact anyone's life other than to provide some amusement. :confused: Though, it sounds like if I ordered my steak rare someone might find it distasteful. :)

A lady was yelling at the person at the guest service counter insisting that she must eat at 5pm every evening or she would become deathly ill.

I listened for a couple of minutes, then asked the lady how she planned to handle the four time zone changes we would have on the trip.

After a few seconds of silence, she quietly walked away.

I am sure I heard a few chuckles from others in line.

Love this.

Sort of like the gentleman I saw fussing to the guest services gal about not having gotten any dinner. The problem was that we hadn't left port and it wasn't dinner time yet.

Then I realized at about the same time the crew member did that he wasn't talking about the current cruise - but the previous one. Unfortunately I was called over to the desk before hearing what answer he got.

Love this.

Sort of like the gentleman I saw fussing to the guest services gal about not having gotten any dinner. The problem was that we hadn't left port and it wasn't dinner time yet.

Then I realized at about the same time the crew member did that he wasn't talking about the current cruise - but the previous one. Unfortunately I was called over to the desk before hearing what answer he got.

OMG....just looked at your pics on your Flickr page (going on Equinox soon)...AMAZING

One time at a steak house I ordered the beefsteak with fresh mozzarella and was asked if I knew what I was ordering. I guess I gave the waiter one of those looks because he said sorry but the night before a woman ordered one then he brought her the dish she complained to the manager that she ordered beefsteak and she wasn't served a steak. I laughed and told him that I knew beefsteaks are thick slices of very big tomatoes with thick slabs of mozzarella cheese in-between them. We both had a laugh at the poor woman's expense.

Great stories! I've got one:

On one of our cruises, the sea was a bit rough and as we were walking on one of the public decks, we found ourselves walking behind a middle-aged man and an elderly woman.

As she grabbed his arm, we heard her say, "I must be getting old, I'm feeling so unstable all of a sudden."

"We're all feeling unstable, Ma," he said. "It's the high seas."

- Musing About Cruising

I once overheard someone at the purser desk asking when they could change their money into Alaskan Money.

Reminds me of being in Hawai'i and hearing a woman announce: Be sure to put USA after Idaho in the address. We are outside of the US.

I was on a ship talking to a friend who was in charge of the hotel supplies, and he said they had a major problem that had to be corrected at the next port. Thinking it was mechanical, I asked him what was so bad.

The supplier had not filled the order for toilet paper!!

It seems humorous, but can you imagine the impact??

He resolved it by sending people out to buy the entire supply from the local stores.

Overheard in the Windjammer...

Him: " I think I'll pass on the chicken, it's looks a little under cooked and I don't want to get salmonella."

Her: "People don't get salmonella from chicken, they get it from salmon".

• 1 month later...
I

He resolved it by sending people out to buy the entire supply from the local stores.

It's good they have that ability. If it was the Fortune 100 company I worked for, they would have to be on an approve vendor list and agree to our Net90 terms.

My traveling companion and I were aboard the Noordam when Hati experienced its terrible earthquake. The ship was not too far from the island at the time and CNN's news reports was being received by the ship. That evening in the Crow's Nest, there was a gentleman who was absolutely sure that the Noordam's fate would be like fictional S. S. Poseidon's fate. No amount of scientific explanation from either of us, or other guests at the bar, could convince him that a tsunami had not been created and the Noordam was in no danger.

:rolleyes: Walking down the Plaza deck hallway on Regal Princess back in 2000 docked in Sydney on embarkation day looking for a friend who boarded later than we did....passed a woman complaining to her roommate that "This is the worst Princess cruise I've ever been on! " We hadn't even set sail yet!

I wonder if she's related to the lady I heard complaining in a gift store in Victoria, BC that she didn't want her change in Canadian money. Said she wanted "real money" as change.

Actually before England scrapped the pound note for a coin, a lot of shops refused to accept Scottish pound notes!