What amenities are on the Splendor? Guys? Didn't the ship upgrade?

HenanSan

rumor has it Splendor will move to a foreign market in a few years so there were no upgrades to Guys burgers, etc. However, it is a great ship and has the best Cloud 9 spa (the first cloud 9 spa) afloat, Mongolian Wok and Tandoor for dining on the lido.

Splendor went into dry dock just before my May 2016 cruise. When dry dock plans were made she was scheduled to go to China as Carnival entered that market. Improvements and changes were based on that plan. Since those plans were made it was announced she is going to be sold to P&O and sail down under.

No Guys, no Blue Iguana. :( She does have a Tandoori which is fantastic. The fish and chips which I was not a fan has recently been replaced with a Bar-be-que place. (Not Guys Pig & Anchor). The Mongolian wok is still in place.

I am looking forward to sailing her again in January of 2018 to take her to Long Beach. Gotta love the pink.

It all makes sense now! When we were on her she was just a few years old so I thought it was weird that she didn't have more amenities. Don't get me wrong, she was a fun ship (strawberry donuts anyone?), but I just thought CCL would have pulled out more fun stuff like NCL and RCI. I remember thinking that the serenity deck was just a larger version of what I had experienced on the Imagination which is an old lady compared to the Splendor. In fact, now that I think about it, amenities wise things were very similar to the Imagination, just everything was larger (with the Indian spot as an added yummy lunch choice). If they have planned all along to move her to a foreign market then it all makes sense. Especially if they want to move her to China which is BIG on gambling.

I've read here in the past that the Splendor was supposed to be a Costa ship, and Carnival Corp. decided to sail her with the Carnival colors/funnel during the build. If you look at her specs, the Splendor is pretty much an exact replica of the Concordia.

I've read here in the past that the Splendor was supposed to be a Costa ship, and Carnival Corp. decided to sail her with the Carnival colors/funnel during the build. If you look at her specs, the Splendor is pretty much an exact replica of the Concordia.

Correct. She is the same class as Concordia and a few other ships sailing for Costa. She is unique as far as CCL goes, though; there is no other ship like her in CCL's fleet. :cool:

I'll second or third what others have said about the new BBQ place that took the place of Fish'n'Chips up on Deck 10: I thought it was really good -- especially for being free/included -- when we had it on Conquest, just a week after it was first installed. That, and Mongolian Wok (which Conquest does not have) would make me a pretty happy camper at lunchtime. :)

The last three times I was on the Splendor deck 10 had the rotisserie. Never did see fish and chips. There was a burrito bar . Yummy!

You are right! Got my ships mixed up. It was a rotisserie my 1st 2 Feb. cruises on Splendor. This past Feb. it was the BBQ. Loved their pulled port and cole slaw! Was empty the first 2 days - then got really crowded when people started discovering it.