NCL Gift Card--Beware

angelsdeb

We were given a $100 gift card for Christmas a couple of years ago with an expiration date of 12/21. I tried to use it yesterday to pay on our upcoming cruise and it was denied. Called the number on the card and it had a balance of $40! Seems if there is no activity get they charge a service fee of $3 month. I asked to talk with a supervisor who was no help, called NCL CUSTOMER CARE, again no help. We really like Norwegian and have cruised only with them but may look elsewhere if they don't refund those fees.

It's very clearly stated in the terms & conditions.

https://www.ncl.com/giftcard/terms

Now, I know people don't normally read terms and conditions, but this one is a yuge font that says FEES. Maybe it says it right on the back of the card, too?

This is not unique to NCL and ultimately has very little to do with them other than the name. In fact, if you look at the bottom of that page it says "This Card is issued by MetaBank, Member FDIC" which is why NCL was no help to you.

Consumer groups, like Consumer Reports, have been warning consumers about gift card fees for years. This is not new.

"Not getting things your way" is not the definition of poor customer service. You should cruise elsewhere. That lost $60 would eat you up the entire time on the ship.

OP -- many states outlaw these fees. The questions of whose state law applies is complicated and depends on how the card was marketed and purchased to and by you (or whomever bought it). For example, cards that are sold to consumers in Florida are flatly prohibited from having inactivity fees. https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/501.95

You should check the law of the state to which the card was originally sent, and if it's favorable, it might give you some ammunition with NCL. For $60 it's probably not worth too much of your time, but it might be the kind of thing where a short, to the point letter might get you what you want.

Yeah!! It says it right there... unfortunately the people who lost on the gift card are those who gave it to you. They paid $100, but you are only able to cash in on $40 of it. Since you personally didn't pay the full amount, you are still ahead $40...

with any give card, you must read the terms and conditions. Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's crazy. I know there's been laws enacted in the past about this. NCL has a registered address in Florida. I would use that law posted and complain to the better business bureau about it. I've had luck with that in the past when companies mischarged me or violated a contract.

OP -- many states outlaw these fees. The questions of whose state law applies is complicated and depends on how the card was marketed and purchased to and by you (or whomever bought it). For example, cards that are sold to consumers in Florida are flatly prohibited from having inactivity fees. https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/501.95

You should check the law of the state to which the card was originally sent, and if it's favorable, it might give you some ammunition with NCL. For $60 it's probably not worth too much of your time, but it might be the kind of thing where a short, to the point letter might get you what you want.

This is a really great point.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/financial-services-and-commerce/gift-cards-and-certificates-statutes-and-legis.aspx#StateLaws

OK has a similar law.

Okla. Stat. tit. 15, §797

Service fees prohibited, unless...

the remaining value on the card/certificate is $5 or less each time the fee is assessed;

the fee does not exceed $1 per month;

there has been no activity for 24 consecutive months including, but not limited to, purchases, the adding of value, or balance inquiries;

the holder may reload or add value to the card/certificate;

and the fee is disclosed as specified.

Assuming the card was ordered/purchased in OK, OP should contact the card issuer and demand a re-instatement of the fees according to statute cited above. Cite the FL statute for good measure. Remember, the problem is not probably not with NCL. It's with MetaBank:

https://www.metabank.com

... assuming they are the card issuer as indicated on the gift card.

Thank you everyone for the info. I am not sure where it was purchased, I assume by phone or online. Yes it is Metabank's fault but Norwegian should not endorse this product with their name. There were no terms sent with the card except expiration 12/21 so we did not know.

Yea, it sucks. Happens alot.

BUT -

Scenario #1 - You cruise with somebody else. You are out $40.

Scenario #2 - You cruise with NCL and get the $40 credit.

Sadly, many people just get pi$$ed and decide they will never do business with NCL. Somehow it emotionally makes sense. Maybe even take a different cruise than what they want. Willing to throw even the $40 away.

By the way, some employees bought us $300 in Carnival Gift Certs many years ago. They had a one year date on them. Tried to sell them, but in the end - they were worthless. Stuff happens.

You should find out where it was purchased (even if online, find out where it was shipped to).

If the state has outlawed inactivity fees, then demand them back from Metabank.

If not, you might want to call Metabank anyway and claim you bought this from a computer in Florida or Oklahoma or wherever, and therefore the fees should no apply.

If this fails, when you actually use it to book on NCL, you might want to call the Miami office afterwards and ask for $60 OBC as a one-time good faith gesture on their part. You might get it.

We were given a $100 gift card for Christmas a couple of years ago with an expiration date of 12/21. I tried to use it yesterday to pay on our upcoming cruise and it was denied. Called the number on the card and it had a balance of $40! Seems if there is no activity get they charge a service fee of $3 month. I asked to talk with a supervisor who was no help, called NCL CUSTOMER CARE, again no help. We really like Norwegian and have cruised only with them but may look elsewhere if they don't refund those fees.

Works if you read the terms and conditions on prepaid or gift cards. These are not issued by NCL and funds are not collected by NCL but the issuing "bank".

It's very clearly stated in the terms & conditions.

https://www.ncl.com/giftcard/terms

Now, I know people don't normally read terms and conditions, but this one is a yuge font that says FEES. Maybe it says it right on the back of the card, too?

This is not unique to NCL and ultimately has very little to do with them other than the name. In fact, if you look at the bottom of that page it says "This Card is issued by MetaBank, Member FDIC" which is why NCL was no help to you.

Consumer groups, like Consumer Reports, have been warning consumers about gift card fees for years. This is not new.

"Not getting things your way" is not the definition of poor customer service. You should cruise elsewhere. That lost $60 would eat you up the entire time on the ship.

Just stop it, are you ;) really asking people to take personal responsibility and read this, seriously? This is not what America is all about, its all about blaming others for our mistakes, come one now

Just stop it, are you ;) really asking people to take personal responsibility and read this, seriously? This is not what America is all about, its all about blaming others for our mistakes, come one now

I'm all about personal responsibility but these fees were big a few years back - and then were outlawed. No one issues gift cards with monthly fees or expiration dates anymore (at least in the US) so I wouldn't even think to check that now.

I'm all about personal responsibility but these fees were big a few years back - and then were outlawed. No one issues gift cards with monthly fees or expiration dates anymore (at least in the US) so I wouldn't even think to check that now.

True today, but not true a few years ago when the OP received the gift cards

Works if you read the terms and conditions on prepaid or gift cards. These are not issued by NCL and funds are not collected by NCL but the issuing "bank".

In all fairness, the OP received it as a gift and probably did not come with terms and conditions - but instead MIGHT have been shared with the purchaser.

And... have to add this... we are talk about $60 here. Yea, our money tree died years ago, but still.....??

In all fairness, the OP received it as a gift and probably did not come with terms and conditions - but instead MIGHT have been shared with the purchaser.

And... have to add this... we are talk about $60 here. Yea, our money tree died years ago, but still.....??

Yea. That might have been it. Some cards have T& C printed in very small print at the back.

My sister gave me a $50.00 NCL gift card just last Christmas. It does state on the back of the card, itself: "Dormancy Fee of $3.00 per month will apply after 12 consecutive months of inactivity". Luckily, I'll be using it on my cruise next week, so no charges should have been been applied as yet, but I'm going to check the balance, anyway. I wouldn't have even thought to look at it if not for this thread!

Update: NCL's Miami office called today. The representative was great and said he would apply a $60 onboard credit to our upcoming cruise. Apparently when we were given the card, terms weren't always sent. We continue to think NCL is great!

We received a $100 gift card for Christmas 2016. I plan to use it for our repositioning cruise in November. Massachusetts has a law that prohibits charging a dormancy fee. So I think we should be OK

The gift cards don't have to be used onboard. You can use it toward your cruise fare.