passport needed for caribbean ports

koss78b2

Should i bring passport in the ports in Caribbean? on next cruise. Doing places liked Belize, Cozumel, Amber Cove, Honduras and a few others.

i remember last year when i was in Nassau, i was asked for passport when i went to board ship again. So just asking if would need to bring passport at some of the ports? thanks

Should i bring passport in the ports in Caribbean? on next cruise. Doing places liked Belize, Cozumel, Amber Cove, Honduras and a few others.

i remember last year when i was in Nassau, i was asked for passport when i went to board ship again. So just asking if would need to bring passport at some of the ports? thanks

They are still not required.

We never take our passport off the ship unless it is required by the port. The cruise line will tell you in the daily newsletter and overhead announcements if you need to take your passport on shore with you. I can't remember which port it was, but on our cruise last fall, one port did require it.

We usually just carry a copy of our passport with us when on shore. Though having the actual passport makes it easier if you miss the ship. Though I have also heard that if you miss the ship, the cruise line may pull your passports from your in room safe and leave them with the port master. That is of course if you lock them in your safe. This may or may not always happen.

Make a color copy of your passports. (Photo/signature page). Bring that with you. Leave the originals in the safe on the ship.

What do you think a color copy of your passport will do for you when in port? It means nothing and won't even help getting a replacement.

What do you think a color copy of your passport will do for you when in port? It means nothing and won't even help getting a replacement.

I believe that having your passport number makes it quicker to get a replacement if you need one. A B&W copy will work for that too.

We never leave the ship without our passports, thats what there for, travel. A photo copy is no good. You can't travel on it anywhere. your government knows your passport number its in their computer. People say what if I lose it. It's the same if you lose a birth certificate, drivers license, you get them replaced. I would not want to be stuck on a island without a consult or embassy trying to get home or the next port without it. That's just my opinion.

Edited by mmckm

We never leave the ship without our passports, thats what there for, travel. A photo copy is no good. You can't travel on it anywhere. your government knows your passport number its in their computer. People say what if I lose it. It's the same if you lose a birth certificate, drivers license, you get them replaced. I would not want to be stuck on a island without a consult or embassy trying to get home or the next port without it. That's just my opinion.

This is what the State Department recomends if you have to replace a lost or stolen passport while abroad.

The following list identifies a number of documents/items you should take with you to the embassy/consulate. Even if you are unable to present all of the documents, the consular staff will do their best to assist you to replace your passport quickly. Please provide:

• A Passport Photo (one photo is required; get it in advance to speed the process of replacing your passport)
  • Identification (driver's license, expired passport etc.)
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship (birth certificate, photocopy of your missing passport)
  • Travel Itinerary (airline/train tickets)
  • Police Report, if available
  • DS-11 Application for Passport (may be completed at time of application)
  • DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport (may be completed at time of application)

I would expect that having what I put in bold would expedite the process. If you don't they have to do additional legwork to process your replacement.

Edited by dioxide45

NONE of the Caribbean countries require a passport for cruise passengers. If you have a passport, bring it, but you don't need to take it ashore. Should you miss the ship, your things will be taken off the ship and left with port authority....

All you need to take ashore is your ship's card (can't get OFF the ship without it!) and your DL...you should always have ID on you!

Edited by cb at sea

This is a constantly debated issue- leave the passport onboard where it is safe or take it ashore in the event that something happens that makes you miss the ship. Similar decision making process as deciding to get a passport in the first place- analyzing the risk of something going wrong and determining your acceptance with the risk. Most feel the risk of loss/theft is greater than missing the ship and feel that the ship would leave the passport behind if they did have to sail.

How often do people lose important travel documents, i never have, yes there is always a first time. It would most likely be robbery or theft, totally out of your control. i always travel with my passport, have it in a safe place and never take it out except for customs or immigration. I don't even take it out to board the ship I use a drivers license, unless the port requires it. I don't worry about losing it. I would worry more about not having it if I ended up needing it. I don't like depending on other people to retrieve it for me. I feel there's more of a chance of getting into a accident in some of these places the way they drive and lax laws that's what works for me. You have to do what your comfortable with and if its leaving it on board that's fine. I'm not trying to tell anyone they should carry it, I'm explaining why I do.

How often do people lose important travel documents, i never have, yes there is always a first time. It would most likely be robbery or theft, totally out of your control. i always travel with my passport, have it in a safe place and never take it out except for customs or immigration. I don't even take it out to board the ship I use a drivers license, unless the port requires it. I don't worry about losing it. I would worry more about not having it if I ended up needing it. I don't like depending on other people to retrieve it for me. I feel there's more of a chance of getting into a accident in some of these places the way they drive and lax laws that's what works for me. You have to do what your comfortable with and if its leaving it on board that's fine. I'm not trying to tell anyone they should carry it, I'm explaining why I do.

It does happen. Even to those who are careful. My mother was robbed of her passport (pickpocket, actually) on one of our trips. And I (yes, it was my fault, but I had too much to carry and wasn't aware) left my purse in a taxi and lost mine on a different trip.

NONE of the Caribbean countries require a passport for cruise passengers. If you have a passport, bring it, but you don't need to take it ashore. Should you miss the ship, your things will be taken off the ship and left with port authority....

All you need to take ashore is your ship's card (can't get OFF the ship without it!) and your DL...you should always have ID on you!

Incorrect. Some lines require passports: Crystal, Cunard, and Oceania are the ones most likely to sail from US. Also, St. Barh's apparently requires passports - and I believe HAL requires passports on sailings stopping at St. Barth's even if you plan to stay on board.

Most cruise lines will make clear to you what the requirements are - but if you really want to have all options available, you should have a passport.

Closed loop US based cruises do not yet require a passport however IMO one should be brought in case of an emergency that would require you to fly back to the US from any foreign port of call, as one would be needed then.

Perhaps their are some cruise lines that require them for some reason but the port of calls on a closed loop US based itinerary should not. At least in our many US closed loop itineraries over the years that has been our experience - we have never been required anywhere to have one, with one exception more than 20 years ago when they were checked on board prior to our first port of call. But that has never occurred again since.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Wrong. My cousin had his backpack stolen with his passport inside, but I was carrying the color copy of his passport and the official at the consulate said having that made it MUCH easier and faster to get an emergency passport---he had it in less than 24 hours. So, having a color copy does indeed help.

Yes, bring your passport - better to safe than sorry especially since you're Canadian. (Why mostly everyone is giving you what the rules are for a US citizen, when your location says Canada - I have no clue...) If possible, buy yourself a waterproof pouch from Travelon or Qwik-Dry to carry it in, if doing water excursions.

Also, if possible, check out the rules of the cruise line on what it says about Canadian citizens and Caribbean ports - that will probably help you more as well.

Edited by maywell

Since you are a Canadian you might have different rules than those of us who are US citizens. I would recommend that you do have your passport for embarkation but I do not know if Canadians need a passport for port security when re-boarding the ship at port stops.

All of the answers you are being given are for US citizens.

One cruise line asked us to take our passport number and place of issue on shore, to make getting a new passport easier; I have heard captains say that the contents of your safe are bagged and left with the port official in charge of your ship, to be handed over if you miss the ship.

A stolen passport is a very valuable item and can be used for many illegal reasons, which can make life difficult for you.

If your Canadian and flying into the USA for a cruise you need a passport to get onto the flight into the USA. There's no way around that as far as I know. Travel by ground is different, I always use a passport when crossing the boarder into the USA which we do a few a few times a week.

Everybody is telling the OP what the US rules are....am I the only one who noticed their location is CANADA? :rolleyes:

Good catch and that will make a difference as a passport is required for Canadian citizens for entry into the US and at original departure port for boarding.

I believe, however, once on board they are not required at the ports of call for US closed loop itineraries. But perhaps a Canadian with direct experience can confirm this.