Opinion on Oceania Cruises

gusjakefred

Very broad question. In short IMO Oceania is a casual cruise line whose big deal is food. Ships have multiple restaurants included in the fare where you can eat when and where you want.

If I was going to FP I would take the Paul Pauguin.

First, let me suggest that you look at and evaluate the itineraries, and select one that meets your interests.

We have done a few involving Oceania, and we were quite pleased. Papeete to Papeete & Papeete to Auckland on Oceania, Paapeete to Papeete on Princess, as well as crossing the area on Crystal and Song of Flower, and years ago on the old Vistafjord.

O was definitely a highlight. The ship is small enough where you can enjoy a close-up experience. I can't tell you how much we enjoyed O in the South Pacific. If you select them, I don't think you can go wrong, but definitely review the itinerary.

We particularly enjoyed the Terrace Cafe outside for our meals so we could view the beautiful sights while enjoying, what we think is, the best food on the seas.

Whatever you chose, enjoy yourself.

Edited by spindrift

i agree the food is good especially in the italian and french restaurant

unfortunately once on board you will notice extremely high prices for drinks and wines + 18 % service on those, onerous rates for tours and compulsory gratuities.

unfortunately once on board you will notice extremely high prices for drinks and wines + 18 % service on those, onerous rates for tours and compulsory gratuities.

Your dislike for Oceania is fairly legendary on these boards (your prior posts make that clear) so let me counter with some truths as follows:

You can bring your own wine and spirits on board with no limit if you choose.

Most of us on these CC boards do private tours. Join the roll call for your cruise and you will find fellow cruisers who organize fabulous small grow tours at a fraction of the price of O tours.

Find a good TA who specializes in Oceania and gratuities will be included.

We have been on only one O cruise; but have two more booked. I see from your posting history that you like Princess. We used to cruise Princess a lot based on the itineraries. We recently took our first Princess cruise in several years, after cruising mostly on Celebrity. We found the Princess experience disappointing, especially on food. Perhaps because the cruise just before it was an O cruise.

We did our only French Polynesia cruise on Princess and thoroughly enjoyed it. But I was quite jealous of our neighbors who did FP on O this year, after hearing them rave about the experience.

As has been mentioned, O's add ons, particularly the excursions are overpriced; but if you can get one of the cruises that has gratuities and internet included, the pricing isn't bad at all, especially for the great experience provided by O.

For a cruise experience that will spoil you and make you not want to go on other mainstream lines, I would go with O to FP in a minute. But I will say that your cruising budget will have to be adjusted upward if you take the same number of cruises as you are used to. :D

I don't think anybody does French Polynesia like the Paul Gauguin. But I'm kind of biased, I've been on five cruises there, and am about to go on my sixth. I can report better when I get back, but the casual ambiance of the ship is wonderful, and it's very small.

But not sure about the "comprehensive" South Pacific cruise. The PG does meander around a bit, but it mostly centred on French Polynesia. We loved the Marquesas itinerary, others have liked the Cook's or Fiji.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I don't think anybody does French Polynesia like the Paul Gauguin. But I'm kind of biased, I've been on five cruises there, and am about to go on my sixth. I can report better when I get back, but the casual ambiance of the ship is wonderful, and it's very small.

I agree with Wendy

Probably the best cruise we have ever taken

The PG is purpose built for French Polynesia. No other cruise line can replicate the PG experience.

We did PPT to Australia this past Feb. on Marina and the trip could not be better. I understand why a smaller ship might be the way to go for some, but for us the Marina was great. I think either way you would want to go would be teriffic. :):):)

It's interesting that you should complain about these things.

I would think that compared to prices in Belgium, the prices on Oceania would seem like a bargain.

Isn't the standard VAT in Belgium 21% going soon to 22%?

We really like Oceania even though we mostly sail with their sister company, Regent Seven Seas and have also sailed on the Paul Gauguin.

Considering how very expensive Tahiti is, I would recommend Regent over Oceania because it is all-inclusive and includes many "free" excursions (not all but many -- and good ones). The ship Regent uses is smaller (700 passengers) and has all balconies. The smallest cabin is 301 sq. ft. (including balcony). In my opinion, a balcony is a necessity in this part of the world. There is nothing better than sitting on the balcony and having breakfast or a cocktail in the evening.

Although the least expensive suite on Regent for a 11 night Tahiti cruise is $7,000/person and a similar size suite (slightly smaller) on Oceania (10 nights) is around $5,000/person, once you add the cost of tips, excursions and alcoholic drinks on Oceania, the price may be closer than you think.

I think you would have a great time on any of the ships -- it is just good to know the options.

It's interesting that you should complain about these things.

I would think that compared to prices in Belgium, the prices on Oceania would seem like a bargain.

Isn't the standard VAT in Belgium 21% going soon to 22%?

i am comparing the prices of the wines on O with other cruise companies

comparing with countryside is irrelevant

however on the Riviera i had to pay more for a bottle of French champagne as in a belgian 2 michelin starred restaurant

i am afraid what i do say of the prices on board is the truth ...

by the way the 21% VAT is the highest rate - not in restaurants

and general food and farmacy is 6% -

You mention people bringing on cases of wine and liquor. The policy is clear in just 3 bottles of wine. If cases are allowed just what would you think abuse is.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Those people entertain in their suites. Oceania is fine with that.

Abuse would be someone bringing on a ton of liquor in order to be drunk and disorderly in public.

You are the first person who has ever posted that O limited wines and spirits being brought onto the ship. The policy in the brochure has ALWAYS been there -- it is to protect the line from folks who might abuse the policy or apply it in inappropriate ways. We know posters on these boards who have brought on cases with no problem.

As for your agent -- maybe YOUR agent did not get the offer of free gratuities. Next time shop around.

I will bring my usual complement of alcohol on board to test your statement. It will not be a case of wine or liquor. Also in a suite so maybe I will get the perk.

Actual I shop every time on an internet site that cruise critic would object to since they are in competition. I also then call specific agents that I have used in the past. The one I have booked O on is not a US based agent and always has the best deals IF THEY ARE AVAILABLE.

I will bring my usual complement of alcohol on board to test your statement. It will not be a case of wine or liquor. Also in a suite so maybe I will get the perk.

If you are in a top suite do you not get the 6 bottles of wine /alcohol included?

by the way the 21% VAT is the highest rate - not in restaurants

and general food and farmacy is 6% -

This is what Google says - are they wrong?

Belgium: VAT rate changes

19-03-2010

New Rules with effect from 1 January 2010

The Belgian VAT legislation has been amended with effect from 1 January 2010

The changes affect the VAT rates applicable to certain supplies of food and beverages in restaurants, as take-away or as part of the supply of accommodation.

New Rules with effect from 1 January 2010

Sales for on-site consumption (i.e. restaurant service):

Food: 12% (down from previously 21%)

Non alcoholic beverages: 21%

Alcoholic beverages: 21%

Sales of take away food and drinks:

Food: 6% (except caviar and margarine)

Non alcoholic beverages: 6%

Alcoholic beverage: 21%

So alcohol is 21% VAT at restaurants and take away. Thus at 18% on Oceania you are still ahead :D

A slight clarification about the liquor package in the top suites since it didn't seem to be specified.

On the "O" ships, people in the OS, VS and OC suites get six bottles of their choice (from a list). It can be all wine, all booze, or a mixture.

On the "R" ships it is just the OS and VS -- not PH suites.

I've never brought a case of wine (or other alcohol) on board but have ready many comments that it is possible without a problem. Get drunk and disorderly and maybe it would be confiscated. It's pretty hard to "sneak" a case of wine on board ...

I "sneaked" a bottle of vodka on board an NCL cruise a few years ago. But I would have preferred to be able to be open about it as I can on Oceania.

Mura