Floridians: hurricane travel advice please! What would you do?

One more question...provided we do get down there a day early, would you want to weather the storm out in Orlando or near the port?? I'm also trying to take into account that we may not actually board the ship on Monday if it is delayed out at sea.

Me personally - I'd get as close to the ship as possible. Cocoa beach/Melbourne area.

We are supposed to fly from Richmond to Orlando on Monday morning (arriving at 10:30am) and board the Enchantment of the Seas. Based on current hurricane models, do you think we should fly in a day early on Sunday morning, rent a car and wait the storm out in a hotel in Orlando?

Do you think the Enchantment will sail (or even come back into port) on Monday?

What would you do? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Could you possibly start driving down on Saturday instead of flying?

We actually did a last minute road trip from MA once b/c of an impending hurricane. We couldn't get a flight in the day before, so just loaded up the car and started driving. We got a refund from the airline when they cancelled the flight, and we made the cruise no problem.

Bunch of rain and wind.. If you can get here earlier and stay by port you'd be better off. At this point it looks like the PC area has about a 40% chance of even seeing tropical storm force winds. Of course all of this could change if it shifts furher east/west. Just keep an eye on it, they'll have a better idea what its doing this evening.

Listen this is not that big of a deal. Gov scott issued that declaration to free up federal funds. The last projected path moved further west, just west of miami and will head up center or west part of state. It is not even supposed to be a hurricane any more. I live on the east coast about 2 hour drive north of miami and we are only expecting sustained winds of 40mph. My office isn't even closed on monday. Canaveral is another 90 minutes north of me.

I'd fly to Orlando, and head to the coast and get a hotel on the coast near the port.

Another vote for get in a day early. My only caveot would be to not stay directly on Cocoa Beach. Back in 2004 we flew in early for our cruise and stayed on south beach, but were evacuated off the beach due to Hurricane Francis. We then had to arrange for a differnt hotel inland for a couple of days as we waited for the storm to pass (we actually ended up driving across the state and visited my parents in the Venice area). We lost the first two days of our cruise as the Navigator stayed out to sea, but they offered excellent compensation for the lost time ($500 shipboard credit and half off our next cruise).

Good Luck. We fly out of Tampa on Thursday to San Juan so I think we'll be good, lol.

I was on a business trip and my boss told me to come home early because it was supposed to snow. I changed my flight on United and accepted the change fee. Later in the day United started to cancel flights and they refunded my fee.

On the other hand we had a similar situation with Jet Blue and they stood firm that we would have to pay a change fee and the current flight price even though we were within 24 hours of the flight.

It might just be a good time to consider just taking a change fee for a flight to be determined later and to drive down and get there before the bad weather. If your flight is cancelled they might refund your change fee. Just clear this up front.

If and when your airlines allows you to change your flights without a penalty, there will be long wait times to do this by phone. I was once told that the wait time was four hours, and I could leave my number and get called back. The call back came 7 hours later, and by then, no flights available. My advice would be to check as often as you can for the change in travel policy, and try to get ahead of the crowd. Also, you might have a direct flight for five now, but you might need to be flexible about that. IF you do get split up, go to the airport and talk to an agent there. Stand by for earlier flights. Consider other airports. Cross pack luggage and carry on as much as you can in case your luggage doesn't get to you in the mess. My experience on legacy carriers (AA, Delta) is that once the travel policy changes, you can't make changes on the web - hopefully you can. Of course, if you have any kind of airline status, use it now to get your flights changed without a fee; some agents seem to have discretion to do this. Good luck.

United changed our flight 3 days before a snow storm based on weather predictions so not to strand airplanes at our airport. I would continue to check with the airline to change your flight as I am sure they don't want planes left in a hurricane. We had 3 extra days in San Juan before our cruise!

I would absolutely hop in the car very early tomorrow morning and get down to Cocoa Beach and wait for the Enchantment. I've been on the Enchantment and Monarch with two hurricanes. Each time we made it back to port on time, once we arrived at midnight to avoid the bad weather trip. We could not disembark until the usual time in the AM though. The other hurricane we had been to Nassua and then to Key West with the hope that the storm would be ahead of us. It wasn't and we still plowed through it :mad:and made it to Port Canaveral on time. I imagine this weekend may possibly be a cruise to nowhere for the Enchantment unless the storm moves more west but who knows.

I appreciate all the advice! At this point I am stalking the JetBlue website for any changes. If I can change without a penalty I will change to a Sunday flight. If I can't get that, since it's "only" an 11 Hour Dr., we could always just get in the car Sunday morning and drive. With a three-year-old, that is not my preferred method of travel, however I would much rather do that than miss the boat!

I appreciate all the advice! At this point I am stalking the JetBlue website for any changes. If I can change without a penalty I will change to a Sunday flight. If I can't get that, since it's "only" an 11 Hour Dr., we could always just get in the car Sunday morning and drive. With a three-year-old, that is not my preferred method of travel, however I would much rather do that than miss the boat!

Good luck- We are also boarding the Enchantment on Monday and are watching closely. We only have about an hour drive to get to the port but are still watching everything.

For sure, continue with your trip, indications now are west of Orlando. Probably a few showers. Come in early may be wise. The cruise line will not cancel their cruise, just alter their course if needed. Come on down

Hi,

We arrived in Orlando Wednesday about 4:14pm, about 25 minutes early. This was planned since we wanted to get some extra vacation days in the city. When we walked outside at the airport it as just pouring! Thunder lightning and poor visibility. But, the closer we got to the Hyatt Grand Cypress we could see the upcoming road clearer.

IDK if flights behind us had any delays. But, the poor weather could have been a problem. We're here at the Hyatt , having a wonderful time and wil hopefully be leaving Port Canavarel Sunday at 3:30pm on Freedom.

From my POV, I would get here a day early. Why chance it...we know some sort of stormy weather is hitting the area...hurricane or tropical storm.

Bobbi

I echo what everyone else advises. If possible , get in a day early.

The last few years, IMHO, under an extreme abundance of caution , it seems that

airlines are now very quick to cancel flights and airports are very quick to close in advance of possible bad weather of any kind, sometimes days early .

Hurricanes to tropical storms to snow.

The EN is a wonderful ship, good wishes for a great cruise.

According to USA Today, as of 10:00 am today Jet Blue has started to waive the change fees into selected Florida airports.