Floridians: hurricane travel advice please! What would you do?

We are supposed to fly from Richmond to Orlando on Monday morning (arriving at 10:30am) and board the Enchantment of the Seas. Based on current hurricane models, do you think we should fly in a day early on Sunday morning, rent a car and wait the storm out in a hotel in Orlando?

Do you think the Enchantment will sail (or even come back into port) on Monday?

What would you do? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

We are supposed to fly from Richmond to Orlando on Monday morning (arriving at 10:30am) and board the Enchantment of the Seas. Based on current hurricane models, do you think we should fly in a day early on Sunday morning, rent a car and wait the storm out in a hotel in Orlando?

Do you think the Enchantment will sail (or even come back into port) on Monday?

What would you do? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think anyone can answer this as no one knows what what the storm will do. However except for the cost there is no downside to arriving the day before.

Edited by FLACRUISER99

Its a tough one, last model I looked at seemed to show it creeping into Southern Florida on Monday morning.

From that perspective I would say yes, get into Florida a day early on Sunday.

However, if the storm is moving through South Florida on Monday, then I think Enchantment probably stays out at sea rather than docking and trying to move passengers off and on during the storm ?? Not sure but I would think so ??

If that's the case then you are probably getting into Florid on Sunday but unable to get on the ship on Monday.

Think that was basically your original question just read back to you, but unfortunately there is no way to know for sure. Don't know if you have insurance and if so maybe consult them for their thoughts ?

I would fly in aday early. Because of the storm the airline may waive the change fee. I would get on the phone to the airline ASAP. There is no way to know for sure if the ship will make it to port on Monday. The storm is not well organized the the forecasters don't have much faith in the current models.

Tropical storms or hurricanes are always a chance this time of year but you can get some great deals too. We almost always sail in September.

Hi, we posted this news item yesterday, offers tips about what to do....

I'm in the same boat. Supposed to fly through Miami Monday morning. Should be interesting :)

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6504

I would definitely come in the day before and stay in Cocoa Beach. That way you are 10 minutes from the ship. The latest NOAA Hurricane Center Advisory has it coming through the middle of the state as a tropical storm. If that is the case Port Canaveral will be in the north east quadrant and get stronger wind and rain. Flights into Orlando will be more likely to be cancelled on Monday. I just checked RCCL's site and they advised to monitor their site closely and make sure your contact information is updated in their system so that they can contact you.

I don't think anyone can answer this as no one knows what what the storm will do. However except for the cost there is no downside to arriving the day before.

That sums up my thoughts exactly. No way to predict anything, and a good thing to get there earlier if you can.

A guy in our office is heading down with the family to Disney tomorrow. I think they're going to have a couple wet days in Orlando......

I live in Florida and my advice is to come in on Sunday. You may see flight cancellations and delays on Monday and airports here could be closed for periods of time, even if remains a tropical storm due to winds. I'd call your airline now and speak to them.

Hope you have travel insurance.

Simple answer.....yes. Why worry about it? If you can change flight/hotel room for little to no cost, do it. All storms can change, even at the last minute.

I live in FLL and though I'm not worried about a major storm they are saying it's an unknown until possibly tomorrow after it crosses over land and gets in warm water.

11:00 AM forecast track just released has shifted further westward. Storm over Naples, FL area Monday morning. Of course, this could and probably will change.

But the cone is the entire state......Also the nasty weather is to the east of the storm.

Edited by brenderlou

But the cone is the entire state......Also the nasty weather is to the east of the storm.

True. Fortunately it is a relatively small storm in size and is not forecast to reach hurricane strength. Of course this can change as well.

I agree whole heartedly with eveyone else that you definitely need to fly in a day early. Anything could happen despite what the weather looks like now. In 2012 we were the last flight out of FLL before a hurricane which was down graded to Tropical Storm hit FL. It still had some time before it was supposed to reach land, but conditions were so poor that they closed.

I would love to fly in early, but I just called and the cost to change the flight is over $600 (not to mention the hotel and extra meals for 5 people.) I think I may take a gamble and wait until they issue a no-change fee, which is sure to come. Fingers crossed. This sux!

Have you checked to see how much availability are on the flights going out the previous day?

I know that $600 is a lot, but missing your cruise will cost you a lot more. Not sure it's worth the gamble for more than a day to see if they eliminate the change fee.

I would love to fly in early, but I just called and the cost to change the flight is over $600 (not to mention the hotel and extra meals for 5 people.) I think I may take a gamble and wait until they issue a no-change fee, which is sure to come. Fingers crossed. This sux!

That's a bunch of money so I think most would understand. Certainly hope you bought insurance.

If you do fly in early, get a rental car and book a room in Cocoa Beach. If you take a shuttle you're stuck with them. If you have a rental car you can adapt to conditions. BTW, we rented a one way from Orlando to Cape Canaveral for about $40 a couple of years ago. Plus, you have ground transportation to from restaurants, etc.

Regardless of your decision now, you might want to go ahead and reserve a room in Cocoa Beach. You can cancel if not needed but they are probably being booked fast. Get a room you can cancel.

Edited by RocketMan275

I know im stating the obvious and maybe you cant anyways but Ive been through this and finally I just stopped cruising at height of hurricane season.But we always go in night b4 no matter when it is.

One more question...provided we do get down there a day early, would you want to weather the storm out in Orlando or near the port?? I'm also trying to take into account that we may not actually board the ship on Monday if it is delayed out at sea.