San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

Hi Laura..... The Korean Bell has been renovated and restored, and is so vibrant now with it's beautiful colors. I would add to the restaurant list, in my humble and personal opinion (sorry Mike), Neil's (Italian). It's definitely pricier than Raffaello's, but I think the food is better.

The walk along the waterfront has a new park..."the Harbor Cut". It's between the fire station and the Maritime Museum. When the trees mature, it will be real pretty.

PS... the big yellow hand will be renovated before October, too!)

Thanks Cyd.

That would be cool to watch for you with a friendly send-off.

We enjoyed going up to Angel Gate Park. Although there was one steep hill we had to drive up.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation.

Mike..thanks for your suggestions too.

Laura

We will be staying 2 nights in San Pedro before our February cruise. We will not have a car, and from previous posts it looks like the Doubletree is rather far (for walking) from pharmacy, grocery, restaurants, etc. and that the Crowne Plaza is better located. The reviews of the Doubletree are better. Any advice? Thanks.

I have only stayed at the Doubletree. It was quite nice. It is not convenient to anything, but the restaurant inside the hotel was very good. Shuttle to the pier was "seamless"...I'll be staying there again for my next cruise in 2015!

In my efforts to keep all of you informed about what is going on in San Pedro I have a couple of restaurant updates. Otto's Trattoria opened where Papadakis Greek restaurant used to be and was doing very well. Unfortunately, the primary owner passed away and the restaurant has since closed. Sad.

On another note, Caliente Cantina opened in the old 7th Street Chophouse location and is a major disappointment. We gave it three chances and they failed miserable in all of them. Terrible food and terrible service. No value for the price. In fact, my wife is upstairs in bed since she was up all night throwing up her dinner. Stay away for now.

On a positive note. I will be adding Blu Restaurant and Bar to my list. They are the Crowne Plaza Hotel and Bar. Brand new menu and they have really stepped it up. Pulled pork and burgers are great. Not sure if their entrees are worth the price since I have not experienced them since the menu change (the chicken and veal parmigian disappointed us in the past).

• 2 weeks later...

Can you tell me if any of the hotels in Long Beach provide free shuttles to the port in San Pedro? And if not, can you tell me how much a taxi or other transportation would be to the port....trying to make up my mind whether to stay in Long Beach or San Pedro for a couple of days prior or post cruise.....thanks...

Can you tell me if any of the hotels in Long Beach provide free shuttles to the port in San Pedro? And if not, can you tell me how much a taxi or other transportation would be to the port....trying to make up my mind whether to stay in Long Beach or San Pedro for a couple of days prior or post cruise.....thanks...

We have stayed in Long Beach a couple of times for something different and loved it. There is a free shuttle that takes you all over. That said there is no free shuttles to San Pedro. Our cab was $25 one time and $30 the second. Both times it was a flat fee.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone stayed at the Best Western Plus in San Pedro?

We normally stay at either the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza however the Best Western came up on Expedia with good reviews and pricing so I'm considering it.

Any insight/first-hand experience would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Has anyone stayed at the Best Western Plus in San Pedro?

We normally stay at either the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza however the Best Western came up on Expedia with good reviews and pricing so I'm considering it.

Any insight/first-hand experience would be appreciated.

Thanks.

My DH and myself stayed there in May one night prior to our cruise (we were unable to get the Crowne or Doubletree through Priceline). We were very happy. It had more of a boutique hotel feel than i thought a Best Western would. The only negative was that it was not within easy walking distance of the waterfront (we did walk it, we are both 40, but it wasnt just a quick pop around the corner and wasnt in as nice of a neighborhood). The shuttle to the port the next morning was free. We booked it when we arrived and were able to get to the port early. Next time I would try to get the Crown just for its location, but if I could not get a price I liked, I would book the Best Western again. (and there was a free breakfast buffet).

Dana

Dana

I arrive in San Pedro on a 3 day cruise from Vancouver and I need to get to Indio Palm Springs, I don't want to fly or drive, so any suggestions. I did find out there is a bus from union station but how to get there? Also is that bus reliable, any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by snowflakesb

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry if this has been covered already, this is very long thread to read back!

We will be arriving into San Pedro next April after a Panama Canal cruise. We would like to rent a car at the port to drive south to a Timeshare exchange in Carlsbad and return to it to San Diego airport.

Could you tell me which rental companies serve the port without having to go to LAX please?

So far we have only found Enterprise who serve the port.

Many thanks,

Corinne

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am sorry if this has been covered already, this is very long thread to read back!

We will be arriving into San Pedro next April after a Panama Canal cruise. We would like to rent a car at the port to drive south to a Timeshare exchange in Carlsbad and return to it to San Diego airport.

Could you tell me which rental companies serve the port without having to go to LAX please?

So far we have only found Enterprise who serve the port.

Many thanks,

Corinne

I believe Enterprise is the only car rental in San Pedro. You may want to check to see if the car rental offices in downtown Long Beach are open the day you arrive. Otherwise you could consider the Long Beach Airport as an option to LAX.

Our only rental agency in San Pedro is Enterprise....located at the Crown Plaza Hotel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The San Pedro Crowne Plaza Enterprise Rental Car office is closed on Sundays.

Many thanks. Unfortunately, coming from the UK it is difficult to choose Enterprise because we cannot get deals from them, due to the horrendous insurance additions. We have decided to use some form of transport to Long Beach airport and book the deal from here.

Edited by cinnamon

• 2 weeks later...

Hertz has a Hertz Local Edition (HLE) corporate location "near" the port in san Pedro:

1859 Lomita Blvd

Lomita, California, United States, 90717

Phone: 310-891-3061

The corporate website says that HLE locations offer pick-up and return service within 15 minutes of each office.

I called them to confirm their pick-up & return service and they said while the cruise terminal in San Pedro was within their allowable radius (just barely), the service was "subject to availability."

The one-way Hertz price (with discounts available to me) was actually cheaper than Enterprise but I chose not to go with them because I wouldn't have been happy if the return shuttle service wasn't actually available when I needed it on the morning of embarkation. Your mileage may vary...

We ended up using Super Shuttle to get here to the Crowne Plaza this morning from LAX and had no problems.

We took the advice from this thread and stayed at the Crowne Plaza - we are there now. Walked two blocks to Acapulco Mexican Restaurant and had a great meal overlooking the harbor. I would recommend it. We arrived early and after flying many hours with a change in DFW, we were hungry. So we went to the San Pedro Brewing Company. The food was really good but the beer was probably about the worse I ever had in a brewpub and I do love beer and brewpubs having been to many all over the country. I would recommend the food but not their beer. It was two blocks from the hotel. One block further brought us to Off The Vine where we bought several bottles of wine to take on the ship. This is a small shop that both sells wine from a small collection and serves wine in the shop. For take out they subtract $10 from the bottle price. The selection is very limited and the cost a bit high but cheaper than getting a taxi to a larger wine outlet and a lot more convenient.

From our hotel window we watched the Golden Princess come into port and can see it setting there now waiting for our arrival. The hotel provides shuttle service to the ship which is about one mile. Great advice. Thank you.

One block further brought us to Off The Vine where we bought several bottles of wine to take on the ship. This is a small shop that both sells wine from a small collection and serves wine in the shop. For take out they subtract $10 from the bottle price. The selection is very limited and the cost a bit high but cheaper than getting a taxi to a larger wine outlet and a lot more convenient.

A very frequent poster to this thread, Wineaux, owns Off the Vine!

Just curious - IF Off The Vines offers a 10% discount on bottles of take-out wine -and- realizing that wine cost vary widely by type/brand - what's an average cost per bottle at OTV?

...I believe SATXDIVER said that take-out was a $10 discount, not 10%...

Edited by Av8tor