Where did you buy that?

Aussie Jeep

If it wasn't for all the valued CC reports that I read, that when on my last cruise which stopped at Cozumel, I would never have known to purchase pure Vanilla essence, beans etc. at Cozumel without reading about it here.

It is amazing and I am still using it today.

There must be other Ports of Call as well that sell products etc unique to that port/city/country. I am interested to hear from fellow cruisers of these and what they are, so that when I stop at these various ports I won't miss purchasing something that I may not be able to easily access elsewhere.

Cozumel, Mexico - Vanilla Esscence and Vanilla Beans

Grenada -various spices-it is known as "spice island"

Barbados. -CALYPSO rum cakes ( a zillion times better than the other brand -Tortuga I think)

Barbados-hot sauce

Barbados - vanilla (might not be as good as Mexican) but the cooks in my family love it

Buying a fake Rolex will not harm you anywhere but in the pocketbook, however you do have to be careful of some things,

One of them is Vanilla Extract.

Be wary about buying products labeled "Vainilla" or "Extracto de Vainilla" in Mexico and other Latin American countries. Look for "vanilla bean" in the ingredient list on the label. If it has "tonka bean" or if there is no ingredient list or a vague one, do not purchase this product.

Tonka beans contain a toxic product, coumarin which is banned in the US.

If the price sounds too good to be true, pass it up.

Don't risk your health to save a few dollars. A coumarin-containing product labeled as vanilla extract or flavoring is generally sold at a lower price than pure vanilla flavoring or extract because tonka beans are cheaper to grow than vanilla beans.

bosco

Barbados -chocolate- Agapey factory

Puerto Chiapas Mexico -Coffee beans

Costa Rica -coffee beans

Guatamala- coffee beans & jade jewelry

Cabo & SanJose Del cabo -Huichol beaded art a little pricey but amazing

Cartegena Columbia -coffee beans

Roatan- coffee beans

There is a theme to my cruises ;)

Although Vanilla originates in Mexico, I much prefer Tahitian and Madagascan vanilla. Any gourmet catalogue will confirm this.

Costa Rica has excellent chocolate/coffee combinations. Even better in Ecuador, but not on many cruise ship schedules. If your ship stops in Manta, Ecuador, buy a Panama hat. Great value. Those hats are actually from Ecuador.

Grenada sells nutmeg. We have rum and chocolate from the French islands and rum from Barbados. Local perfume from Bermuda. Great European bathing suits in ALL sizes in Philipsburg, St. Martin. I read about the small store here on CC. It's in the narrow street behind the beach promenade. The suits were expensive, but I have received many compliments and they are still cheaper than a European vacation. :p Did I say that they are sized and cut for real bodies and look like they were made for models?

If it wasn't for all the valued CC reports that I read, that when on my last cruise which stopped at Cozumel, I would never have known to purchase pure Vanilla essence, beans etc. at Cozumel without reading about it here.

It is amazing and I am still using it today.

There must be other Ports of Call as well that sell products etc unique to that port/city/country. I am interested to hear from fellow cruisers of these and what they are, so that when I stop at these various ports I won't miss purchasing something that I may not be able to easily access elsewhere.

Cozumel, Mexico - Vanilla Esscence and Vanilla Beans

In St Maarten we always purchase Guavaberry rum.

In Grenada we buy nutmeg to grate.

Buying a fake Rolex will not harm you anywhere but in the pocketbook, however you do have to be careful of some things,

One of them is Vanilla Extract.

Be wary about buying products labeled "Vainilla" or "Extracto de Vainilla" in Mexico and other Latin American countries. Look for "vanilla bean" in the ingredient list on the label. If it has "tonka bean" or if there is no ingredient list or a vague one, do not purchase this product.

Tonka beans contain a toxic product, coumarin which is banned in the US.

If the price sounds too good to be true, pass it up.

Don't risk your health to save a few dollars. A coumarin-containing product labeled as vanilla extract or flavoring is generally sold at a lower price than pure vanilla flavoring or extract because tonka beans are cheaper to grow than vanilla beans.

bosco

I agree about the coumarin in some vanilla. That is a blood thinner and for some people with some conditions can be dangerous. I buy my vanilla from William Sonoma, delicious and no worries as to safety.

We cruise to Belize for the sole purpose of purchasing their coffee, Gallon Jug Coffee. Unlike Blue Mountain Coffee that is found in the States, Gallon Jug isn't exported to the United States. We found out on our last cruise their, last month, that the plantation is very small and that even stores in Belize have a hard time getting the coffee.