bomb in asia

tilly rose

My immediate concern would be for the people involved.:(

And that may have been the OPs immediate concern. But, since the OP has a cruise planned for November there, of course this would be his/her next concern. The OP may need to decide whether or not to cancel if before final payment. I don't think it is unreasonable to worry about a further terrorist attacks in the area just tragically suffered from one (if that's what it was). Or, maybe the cruiseline will cancel a port that might have been an important consideration in this itinerary. Some won't book a cruise during hurricane season in the Caribbean. Maybe the OP is just weighing his/her risks and is worried. Just a thought!

Yes, this is definitely very tragic and my thoughts go out to the families that lost loved ones.

Its really sad to hear this. I've been to Bangkok multiple times and its a wonderful city with really peaceful people. The area in which the bomb went off is a highly visited area, with major hotels and shopping malls in the vicinity.

I was also reading about some people who are worried about their cruises to Istanbul, due to the problems there last week. Now its Bangkok. While I understand that people do not want any sort of tension on their well earned holidays, we really cannot escape it sitting at home. The 26/11 terror attacks in Mumbai happened 4 buildings away from my home.

My suggestion is to continue with your holiday. The aim of the terrorists seems to be to affect tourism in Bangkok, and we shouldn't allow them to win/ define how we live our lives. Our planet is beautiful and if you have the money & health, nothing should stop us from travelling.

Cheers!

Nick

Extremely silly and callous remark... apparently the loss of life means nothing? Smiley face? Really??!

No the loss of life does not mean nothing, it means the OP might need to cancel their cruise!

But please do be telling off the person who highlighted the callous shallow concerns of others through the use of humour.

Oh wait, I get it. Humour is lost on certain subcultures of the english speaking world - slap me!

Edited by Adidas4fun

So very sad. We have visited Thailand a few times and love the genuine hospitality of the people.

I do understand the original OPs concerns. Far East cruises are much looked forward to and planned for.

The positives the OP can reflect on are that firstly if Celebrity feel that Bangkok is unsafe they simply will not visit. Although it may give some disappointment there are plenty of alternate beautiful ports of call in that area. There are also a range of tours in Bangkok that are not central such as the Rose Garden, floating market and the River Kwai which visitors could consider if they do not want to visit the city centre.

Hi Tilly Rose,

Just heard on the BBC news that UK Government has already said it is NOT recommending UK citizens stay away from Bankok. So unless other atrocities happen there before your cruise, there should be no reason for you not to go.

Bankok is a great place and the people there are charming. It would be a shame if you missed it. Have a wonderful cruise.

Adidas4fun - thank you, glad somebody understood my post.

Of course it's a tragedy many innocent people lost their lives - it could have been one of us, or a relative or friend.

<tries to think of appropriate smiley but fails>

Not sure about that.

Cruise ships terminated stops in Tunisia after the first terrorist attack, and that wasn't a 'cruise-related' target either. Just the threat to tourists.

No cruise line would like the loss of life of passengers, and if it's shown they kept operating to an unsafe place after a terrorist attack, then they open themselves to legal action for not showing sufficient care and safety for the welfare of their paying customers.

Not sure about that.

Cruise ships terminated stops in Tunisia after the first terrorist attack, and that wasn't a 'cruise-related' target either. Just the threat to tourists.

No cruise line would like the loss of life of passengers, and if it's shown they kept operating to an unsafe place after a terrorist attack, then they open themselves to legal action for not showing sufficient care and safety for the welfare of their paying customers.

True but the bombing was at a local hindu shrine.

While it was near 5 star hotels and shopping precinct it wasn't the most tourist oriented site in the immediate area. This suggests that the bombing was not targeting westerners.

All our news stories are saying it is tourist related targeting, but it is Chinese tourist sites that have been targeted. There is a five star hotel right next to the original site as well, though again our news mentioned it was popular with Chinese tourists.

There do seem to be thoughts that tourism is being targeted to affect the economy.