Carnival cancels Splendor out of NY

spaden

I don't think anyone is claiming that ALL New Yorkers are rich; everyone knows that is not true and that all classes [rich, poor, and middle] can be found in just about any place on the planet. That said, the northeast region between Boston and Washington does have a higher percentage of affluent households than does the gulf states region. The fact that Carnival has basically bid farewell to ALL of the northeast ports [boston, NYC, Baltimore] to focus on the American South seems like they are forgetting about a very important segment of the travelling public.

Thanks for clarifying what I meant by NY market. Of course the ship was not filled entirely with NYs but the drive to market is obviously a key part of the asset utilization strategy.

Only thing I disagree with is your assent that carnival is turning it's back on the NE corridor. A large portion of this market obviously turned its back on a 15 year old product.

Hi Keith :)

The only place I have read about seasonal sailings from

New York have been (speculation within this very post)

and nowhere else.

I hope the member lists the link where he/she has read

that info.

I sure hope that there will be a new Carnival ship from NYC in May 2015. We has such a wonderful time on the Splendor last May & were really looking forward to sailing on her again. We have been on rccl & Disney out of Florida several times but we were really surprised at how much we enjoyed the Carnival experience without all of the "bells & whistles" & family kid friendly stuff that the new mega ships cater to.

I lost 4 cruises to this most recent Carnival decision. :mad:. I got the email that my B2B on the Splendor for 2/13/2015 & 2/21/2015 were cancelled because they're moving the Splendor. I wasn't thrilled with this, but I could deal with it...wait for CCL to put another ship in NY & then book it.

What took me by surprise, however, is the email I rec'd about my 11/1/2014 Splendor cruise...which, NOW, is returning to Miami from San Juan...rather then back to NY from San Juan.

The 11/1/2014 was the 2nd leg of a B2B that was to begin on 10/24/2014 out of NY to San Juan. Carnival wouldn't let me re-book the 11/1/2014 because of the Jones Act. :mad:. So, because I no longer fly...I had to cancel the 10/24/2014.

This whole thing has been very upsetting. I just don't understand this whole Jones Act thing...cruise lines re-position ships all the time!!! Earlier this year people got on the Miracle in NY & got off on the West Coast somewhere. Cruise ships re-position from New Orleans to Boston, from Boston to Ft.Lauderdale...and on & on! I fail to understand why I can't get on in NY on 10/24 and get off in Miami 16 days later. :confused:

I lost 4 cruises to this most recent Carnival decision. :mad:. I got the email that my B2B on the Splendor for 2/13/2015 & 2/21/2015 were cancelled because they're moving the Splendor. I wasn't thrilled with this, but I could deal with it...wait for CCL to put another ship in NY & then book it.

What took me by surprise, however, is the email I rec'd about my 11/1/2014 Splendor cruise...which, NOW, is returning to Miami from San Juan...rather then back to NY from San Juan.

The 11/1/2014 was the 2nd leg of a B2B that was to begin on 10/24/2014 out of NY to San Juan. Carnival wouldn't let me re-book the 11/1/2014 because of the Jones Act. :mad:. So, because I no longer fly...I had to cancel the 10/24/2014.

This whole thing has been very upsetting. I just don't understand this whole Jones Act thing...cruise lines re-position ships all the time!!! Earlier this year people got on the Miracle in NY & got off on the West Coast somewhere. Cruise ships re-position from New Orleans to Boston, from Boston to Ft.Lauderdale...and on & on! I fail to understand why I can't get on in NY on 10/24 and get off in Miami 16 days later. :confused:

I lost 4 cruises as well including the 10/24 since I wasn't going to fly home from San Juan and then the 1/12 & 1/20 B2B 2015. I reschedule for the Liberty in 2015 but likely that after 35 Carnival cruises I'll be looking to NCL or Royal to cruise from NY area in the Late Fall/Winter months . . .

The point is- 2 cruises, where the rest of your examples are single cruises. And it's not the Jones Act- it is the Passenger Services Act. Can get plenty of detailed information with a google search.

You may want to reconsider your not flying? Without doing so, it really limits options.

Because you were starting your cruise in NY and ending it in Miami the cruise was no longer legal as you were not visiting a distant foreign port.

When you originally booked it you were starting in NY and ending in NY so that would be a legal cruise without visiting a distant foreign port.

Sorry about your bad luck. Hopefully you can find something that works for you.:)

Bill

I think Carnival has made some odd decisions this year, leaving Europe (we did Russia on the Legend) it was an amazing cruise, now NY. I re-booked my November 9th cruise to Aug 4th, I was able to have the same cabin (3 cabins). Having the same price, it saved me almost $4,000.00 (the difference price between the two cruises) I was shocked but August is a much more desirable time of year to cruise and now my children dont miss school. I think Carnival should have a new ship and do more interesting itineraries, I dont think they gave it a chance of sailing year round.

I hope they know what they are doing.

Dorene

I stated a few pages back that the NY-SJ + SJ-MI as B2B was absolutely NOT allowed.

I know because I asked my PVP multiple times when I booked the 2nd leg of the Conquest repo if he was absolutely positive that I could NOT book NO-SJ + SJ-MI and he assured me that I could not.

So, I just booked 11/1/14 and I "again" asked him about booking both legs as a B2B and he said it was not allowed. This isn't Carnival, folks. It's the law.

And if people can't comprehend why sailing from NY in the winter may not be the best use of a ship, I just don't know what to tell you. :confused:

So why didn't Carnival understand this months ago?

Let's look at something. Carnival Sailed the Miracle out of New York for one whole year. Then they brought the Splendor in and she sailed for the whole year last year. The Splendor will sail this whole year until October out of New York.

Ships can make it out of New York. Look at competitors of Carnival. They sail the Norwegian Breakaway year round from New York. And Royal Caribbean sails Explorer of the Seas out of New Jersey year round. Explorer has been doing her runs from New Jersey for at least three years. Royal now is putting their brand new ship, Quantum of the Seas to New Jersey starting in November 2014.

Is it a coincidence that Carnival is pulling out right before Quantum of the Seas arrives. I don't know. But Carnival can't compete with two new ships out of New York. Maybe Carnival will put another ship in New York in the future, but she needs to put a new ship like Dream, Breeze, Magic, or even the Vista to compete with both Norwegian Breakaway and Quantum of the Seas.

Let's look at something. Carnival Sailed the Miracle out of New York for one whole year. Then they brought the Splendor in and she sailed for the whole year last year. The Splendor will sail this whole year until October out of New York.

Ships can make it out of New York. Look at competitors of Carnival. They sail the Norwegian Breakaway year round from New York. And Royal Caribbean sails Explorer of the Seas out of New Jersey year round. Explorer has been doing her runs from New Jersey for at least three years. Royal now is putting their brand new ship, Quantum of the Seas to New Jersey starting in November 2014.

Is it a coincidence that Carnival is pulling out right before Quantum of the Seas arrives. I don't know. But Carnival can't compete with two new ships out of New York. Maybe Carnival will put another ship in New York in the future, but she needs to put a new ship like Dream, Breeze, Magic, or even the Vista to compete with both Norwegian Breakaway and Quantum of the Seas.

Even if they bring in Dream, Magic etc I don't get any juice when thinking about cruising on those ships compared to the other lines ships.

The Breeze would get me more leaning towards doing a CCL cruise from NY.

Others have mentioned about doing an 8 or 9 night cruise to the Caribbean instead of Orlando, Freepoert, Nassau, and then doing a Canada/New England cruise of 5 of 6 days in the spring/summer.

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

Bill,

I agree the itineraries that these ships do out of New York aren't that good. The Breakaway is doing a 7 day cruise out of New York to the Bahamas. However, when the Quantum comes to town in November of 2014 she has multiple itineraries ranging from 7 to 12 days. These itineraries will be interesting for some people. That is why the Explorer of the Seas is doing well in New Jersey. Most of her voyages are 10 days. You can get further down in the Caribbean when you have extra days to spare.

Back in 2006-2007 CCL had one of their sister companies running a ship in the winter out of New York. The Noordam was a great ship. However, a combination of the wear an tear of running at full speed during the winter months took a beating on her. Also the competitors NCL and RCL had better deals. I think New York give CCL a bad taste in their mouths. Between HAL and themselves they can't keep a ship year round up in New York, but NCL and RCL can. I don't understand that one bit.

As you can tell from the list of the ships I have been I, I don't favor one line. The price the Carnival charges for its Splendor trips doesn't pay the maintenance of the ship. What I am trying to say is that, Carnival is loosing money on the Splendor sailing out of New York. Once she moves to Miami she will start making money again for CCL.

I don't understand why the 'World's Leading Cruise Lines", can't seem to make a success of all year round cruising from the Port of NY (including NJ).....

The HAL Noordam tried and failed, the Crown Princess tried and failed, now Carnival Cruise Line....

That will leave the few sailings of the Cunard QM2 as the only Carnival Corp. ship sailing out of NY in the winter....

Celebrity tried with its Silhouette, and pulled that out, but the Explorer of the Seas, the earlier Voyager of the Seas, and the Explorer's replacement, Quantum of the Seas shows RCI is doing it...

And NCL manages to field two ships homeported in NY all year round, currently the Gem and the Breakaway, previously the Dawn, the Spirit, and the Jewel. They will even briefly have three ships here this winter....the new Getaway, chartered as a Superbowl hotel, will do preinaugural cruises before and after the charter....

Edited by bob brown

I don't understand why the 'World's Leading Cruise Lines", can't seem to make a success of all year round cruising from the Port of NY (including NJ).....

The HAL Noordam tried and failed, the Crown Princess tried and failed, now Carnival Cruise Line....

That will leave the few sailings of the Cunard QM2 as the only Carnival Corp. ship sailing out of NY in the winter....

Celebrity tried with its Silhouette, and pulled that out, but the Explorer of the Seas, the earlier Voyager of the Seas, and the Explorer's replacement, Quantum of the Seas shows RCI is doing it...

And NCL manages to field two ships homeported in NY all year round, currently the Gem and the Breakaway, previously the Dawn, the Spirit, and the Jewel. They will even briefly have three ships here this winter....the new Getaway, chartered as a Superbowl hotel, will do preinaugural cruises before and after the charter....

I really think it's weather related. I think most cruisers are looking for "fun in the sun" - and that's not easy out of NYC in the winter.

There are only so many places you can to - and back from - in 7 days home ported in NYC. :/

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Honestly, I cruise winter often, I like it. So I stay inside the first day. There is so much to do that it really doesnt bother me. I am leaving December 27th out of NYC on the Splendor, many times I am in the hot tub relaxing in the winter (I pack our bathing suits in my backpack) Carnival needs to make a plan, a good ship and itinerary. Splendor vs Breakaway? why did I pick Carnival. One I love the line, two I am platinum and three price. I am not even getting off the ship, because I have done this itinerary so many times. But I love to cruise and where is the savings if it coast me $700 up to fly to Florida.

So now I will need to pick NCL or RCCL sad......

I feel like Carnival opened the door but didnt let me in.

Dorene