Carnival cancels Splendor out of NY

spaden

The Splendor is essentially a very mild update of the 1992 Destiny platform. RCI and NCL have proven what should have been inherently obvious to the carnival beards: New Yorkers can and will pay a large premium for the latest greatest thing. There are markets for 20 year old ship platforms - New York is not one of them.

PS - I don't think Splendor has gotten over its spam stigma. If they were gong to rename/and rebrand a vessel it should have been this one and the Triumph. Destiny was one of the few unique names out there and reflected CCLs fantastic position at the time of its launch. The removal of the Carnival Destiny name from the fleet seems to dovetail all too well with the line's current position... No Destiny.

OMG....I think you people are watching too much "Sex & the City" type shows. Not everyone lives in a high rise, with maids, chauffeurs....and shops at Barneys!

There are a lot more middle class New Yorkers than rich New Yorkers.

Most NYers I know are too smart to pay a premium for the latest greatest thing....just because it's the latest greatest thing.

The "truly affluent" really don't care if a cruise is $500 more or less.....

If the cost of cruises goes up substantially....this NYer will start taking land based vacations. (And, for the record....it's not the matter of having the money....it's the matter of spending it wisely.)

OMG....I think you people are watching too much "Sex & the City" type shows. Not everyone lives in a high rise, with maids, chauffeurs....and shops at Barneys!

Most NYers I know are too smart to pay a premium for the latest greatest thing....just because it's the latest greatest thing.

If the cost of cruises goes up substantially....this NYer will start taking land based vacations.

(And, for the record....it's not the matter of having the money....it's the matter of spending it wisely.)

like1_zps608f7911.jpglike1_zps608f7911.jpg

:)

Forget tablecloths and the other cutbacks....Since I prefer to sail from NE homeports, Carnival leaving the NE ports will likely end my sailing with them. I would rather spend the airfare $ on two extra sea days and sail close to home. They need 8 to 11 day itineraries in the winter to bring the Eastern Caribbean into play, but they just don't want to pay for the fuel.

Wow. We're sailing on the NCL Gem next month.. glad we decided to give NCL a try now that it seems Carnival will no longer be a choice out of our homeport. We've sailed Carnival out of NYC (as well as Florida) and RCI out of Cape Liberty, to us the price difference on Royal was NOT worth it.. hope we enjoy the Gem cause we sure as hell will not be paying the hefty prices to sail Breakaway or Quantum. :rolleyes:

You can blame me for the whole debacle.

Had cabin on the pride on hold for early nov and by the next day they changed the itineraries.

Had 2 adjoining balconies on hold for splendor for 11/1 for xmas surprise....and you guessed it they changed it the next day.

Guess you can't blame carnival....it' s clearly my fault.

Edited by cuccicruisers

Wow. We're sailing on the NCL Gem next month.. glad we decided to give NCL a try now that it seems Carnival will no longer be a choice out of our homeport. We've sailed Carnival out of NYC (as well as Florida) and RCI out of Cape Liberty, to us the price difference on Royal was NOT worth it.. hope we enjoy the Gem cause we sure as hell will not be paying the hefty prices to sail Breakaway or Quantum. :rolleyes:

Sailed the 9 day intinerary on the Gem at the end of October. It was an excellent cruise.

Some recent Gem reviews say that a significant number of crew members have left the Gem to start up the new Getaway ship. The new crew members should be up to speed by time you sail.

The itinerary sucked, which didn't help Carnival at all. Yes, I'd love to take a cruise ship to Florida & the Bahamas when I can get on the one at the pier next to it and go to San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten & Samana!

I agree that the Florida/Bahama itineray sucks. However the Breakaway is sailing a similar itinerary and filling their ships at higher fares. Carnival would have been better off sailing to San Juan, St Thomas, and Grand Turk in the Winter. After all it is very hard to compete with a shiny new ship doing almost the same itinerary. I think Carnival would be better off sailing seasonally from NYC April thru October. They can Alternate 8 day Carribean 8 day Canada/New England sailings going to Halifax, St John, Boston, and Portland. Carnival should also consider these seasonal sailings on one of their new ships ie. Breeze.

I am not too happy as this was a Christmas gift for my family. All wrapped up in a box, each of my children. Now I get an email on this. With all this you would think someone from Carnival would come on cruise critic and say something.

When my children open up their gift on Christmas morning does anyone have a suggestion how I tell them. It is not happening. I booked this knowing they would both be home at the same time.

I could just cry.

Dorene

If the cost of cruises goes up substantially....this NYer will start taking land based vacations. (And, for the record....it's not the matter of having the money....it's the matter of spending it wisely.)

Then how do you explain the huge premiums commanded by quantum and breakaway, aggressive prices for explorer and summit while splendor sails are cancelled due to lack of interest?

PS - born and raised on Long Island and lived in Jersey for 4 years before bouncing up and down the eastern Hal if the country - my perspective is a bit more encompassing than a pretty lame cable show I watch once or twice (can't stand SJ Parker).

Edited by nealstuber

Sailed the 9 day intinerary on the Gem at the end of October. It was an excellent cruise.

Some recent Gem reviews say that a significant number of crew members have left the Gem to start up the new Getaway ship. The new crew members should be up to speed by time you sail.

Great! This is the sailing we're doing also, as a belated honeymoon (we got married 11/2) so hopefully we'll have a good time. I'm sure we will, we're pretty easy going & make our own fun if needed!

I am not too happy as this was a Christmas gift for my family. All wrapped up in a box, each of my children. Now I get an email on this. With all this you would think someone from Carnival would come on cruise critic and say something.

When my children open up their gift on Christmas morning does anyone have a suggestion how I tell them. It is not happening. I booked this knowing they would both be home at the same time.

I could just cry.

Dorene

Uh, not to be an ass, but I suggest you give them something else.

The Splendor is essentially a very mild update of the 1992 Destiny platform. RCI and NCL have proven what should have been inherently obvious to the carnival beards: New Yorkers can and will pay a large premium for the latest greatest thing. There are markets for 20 year old ship platforms - New York is not one of them.

PS - I don't think Splendor has gotten over its spam stigma. If they were gong to rename/and rebrand a vessel it should have been this one and the Triumph. Destiny was one of the few unique names out there and reflected CCLs fantastic position at the time of its launch. The removal of the Carnival Destiny name from the fleet seems to dovetail all too well with the line's current position... No Destiny.

Beyond ticket prices lines wouldn't be bringing their new ships to NY unless they were achieving significant revenue from on board spending. As a NYer, I can't help but notice that the drink prices on the ships are cheap compared to what we spend at bars and restaurants in our day to day lives...

Then how do you explain the huge premiums commanded by quantum and breakaway, aggressive prices for explorer and summit while splendor sails are cancelled due to lack of interest?

PS - born and raised on Long Island and lived in Jersey for 4 years before bouncing up and down the eastern Hal if the country - my perspective is a bit more encompassing than a pretty lame cable show I watch once or twice (can't stand SJ Parker).

Since NYC is a major city...lots of people come here to "sail out of". They aren't necessarily New Yorkers filling those ships.

NYC is just like every other place...there are rich, there are poor and there are in between. And some people live within their means...and others live beyond...and may put a cruise on a credit card.

Other than the the Splendor pulling out of NY...which dates were canceled?

Nobody knows "the reason" the Splendor is leaving....just a bunch of armchair Carnival CFOs...lol.

I paid "extra" this year to sail the Breakaway to Bermuda. I did late book so there was some discount. The ship is fantastic.

For those who claim they won't fly- your traveling is going to be VERY limited. I do understand some people cruise for a "cruise". But there are some, like myself, that travel for the destination. Everyone is different.

Since NYC is a major city...lots of people come here to "sail out of". They aren't necessarily New Yorkers filling those ships.

NYC is just like every other place...there are rich, there are poor and there are in between. And some people live within their means...and others live beyond...and may put a cruise on a credit card.

Other than the the Splendor pulling out of NY...which dates were canceled?

Nobody knows "the reason" the Splendor is leaving....just a bunch of armchair Carnival CFOs...lol.

I don't think anyone is claiming that ALL New Yorkers are rich; everyone knows that is not true and that all classes [rich, poor, and middle] can be found in just about any place on the planet. That said, the northeast region between Boston and Washington does have a higher percentage of affluent households than does the gulf states region. The fact that Carnival has basically bid farewell to ALL of the northeast ports [boston, NYC, Baltimore] to focus on the American South seems like they are forgetting about a very important segment of the travelling public.

Since NYC is a major city...lots of people come here to "sail out of".

They aren't necessarily New Yorkers filling those ships.

You can count me among them!

Twice now we've flown from Barbados in the Caribbean

to JFK/NYC to catch Glory's Canada/New England cruise.

All I want for Christmas

is Breeze in New York, April to October next year

for my Sept/Oct. cruise.

Edited by Aplmac

You can count me among them!

Twice now we've flown from Barbados in the Caribbean

to JFK/NYC to catch Glory's Canada/New England cruise.

All I want for Christmas

is Breeze in New York, April to October next year

for my Sept/Oct. cruise.

Oh yeah! Oh yeah! Breeze in NYC from April to October next year sounds amaze. Please, Santa, please deliver.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think there's 2 big reasons why Carnival is opting not sail year-round from NYC.

1. The Splendor can't compete with the Quantum & Breakaway.

2. Outside of it's 8 day/one ways to San Juan, Carnival kept the same boring 8 day itinerary all year. RCCL offers various 7 to 12 day itineraries and are always changing them up slightly.

And Carnival has announced it will return to NYC starting in April 2015, they just haven't named what ship/schedule.

As for the 13 ships sailing out of Florida. This will only hurt Carnival in the long run, especially with some of them doing the exact same schedule. I can't imagine this many ships staying in Florida for that long. Carnival could have a ship move back to Mobile, have one of the Dream-class ships do longer runs(8-14 days), move another ship out west(maybe sailing out of San Francisco), etc. I'd expect some ship movement shortly from Carnival.

I think there's 2 big reasons why Carnival is opting not sail year-round from NYC.

1. The Splendor can't compete with the Quantum & Breakaway.

2. Outside of it's 8 day/one ways to San Juan, Carnival kept the same boring 8 day itinerary all year. RCCL offers various 7 to 12 day itineraries and are always changing them up slightly.

And Carnival has announced it will return to NYC starting in April 2015, they just haven't named what ship/schedule.

As for the 13 ships sailing out of Florida. This will only hurt Carnival in the long run, especially with some of them doing the exact same schedule. I can't imagine this many ships staying in Florida for that long. Carnival could have a ship move back to Mobile, have one of the Dream-class ships do longer runs(8-14 days), move another ship out west(maybe sailing out of San Francisco), etc. I'd expect some ship movement shortly from Carnival.

Ok, I'm a Carnival fan. First, I don't see any upside to more ships in Florida, even the short term. It can do nothing but compete against themselves (many routes to the same places). Second, I'd like to see the link for them returning in April 2015. While I was the one saying I thought they would return, I have seen nothing posted from them saying that. I would be surprised if they would announce it now, right after they pull out.