Carnival cancels Splendor out of NY

spaden

Does anyone know the exact itinerary for the November 1, 2014 repo cruise from SJU to MIA on the Splendor??

The carnival website shows the ports but when you click on the sailing for details an error message comes up so I can't see the port arrival/departure hours and the number of sea days!

Also will it be a violation if I tacked on the November 9 sailing (leaving and returning to MIA) for a B2B???

Thanks!

I think (from my experience)

San Juan

St.Croix

Martinique

Grenada

Dominica

@sea

Grand Turk

@sea

Miami

So difficult to fall asleep last night. Woke up in a

fog this morning. Head still in a daze over this...

Hi :(

I received the 'Carnival Splendor Cancellation Notice' this morning

as well stating that the Splendor's new home will be Miami instead

of New York.

We had a B2B booked. $600 deposit ($300 per person) per cruise,

for a total of $1,200.

Carnival gave me a full refund of the $1,200, no issues at all, however

a long time on the phone.

Here is a copy of the cancellation notice, and below that is our itinerary

that we had planned.

So sad... Sigh... :(

Scan_zpsef71979c.jpg

Our itinerary was for Feb 13, 2015 to March 1st 2015

Feb 13 ...............New York

Feb 14 ...............At Sea

Feb 15 ...............At Sea

Feb 16 ...............Grand Turk

Feb 17 ...............At Sea

Feb 18 ...............Antigua

Feb 19 ...............St Kitts

Feb 20 ...............St Thomas

Feb 21 ...............Puerto Rico ( Turnaround Day )

Feb 22 ...............St Kitts

Feb 23 ...............Antigua

Feb 24 ...............St Thomas

Feb 25 ...............At Sea

Feb 26 ...............Grand Turk

Feb 27 ................At Sea

Feb 28 ................At Sea

March 1 .............New York

One point I didn't see mentioned, in the NYC/Florida debate, is the ports. NYC has very limited ports for year round . Overall, the Bahamas is what I consider a crappy itinerary that I only consider when they give it away. :) Carnival, has not been doing Bermuda- has it?

It will be a wait and see. Drive up cruising has been more popular due to the flux in air fares, and the difficulty in getting those- long gone cheap fares. Prices have never been as low for some cruises. I think it's going to be a time of higher prices, especially in NYC which will be dictated by supply and demand. The "supply" is be cut, significantly with the Splendor leaving.

Can't predict the future. :)

Please forgive me if I am repeating what already has been said, but I just didn't feel like reading thru the whole thread. I'm ducking!! :)

I for one am not surprised by this move. It is hard to be profitable when fares have to be reduced to the $40. /$50. per day range in order to fill the ship during the winter months. Fuel costs still must be extremely high, even given the reduced itinerary, distance wise, of only going as far south as Florida and the Bahamas. Not the greatest itinerary by any means.

But have faith!! I firmly believe that Carnival will place at least one, maybe two ships back in New York for the 2015 summer season, sailing on their extremely popular itineraries to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau, or San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk. I also believe there will be 4 and 5 Day cruises to Canada. The only question is, will the Splendor be coming back, or some other ship(s)? Though I loved the Splendor, I have my fingers crossed for the Carnival Breeze. I can wish, can't I?? bigggrin.gif

This will also allow Carnival to return to Charleston and Norfolk to do their very popular seasonal cruises from those home ports!!

Well, that's my speculation, we'll just have to wait to see how this all plays out!!

Edited by Jamman54

Please forgive me if I am repeating what already has been said, but I just didn't feel like reading thru the whole thread. I'm ducking!! :)

I for one am not surprised by this move. It is hard to be profitable when fares have to be reduced to the $40. /$50. per day range in order to fill the ship during the winter months. Fuel costs still must be extremely high, even given the reduced itinerary, distance wise, of only going as far south as Florida and the Bahamas. Not the greatest itinerary by any means.

But have faith!! I firmly believe that Carnival will place at least one, maybe two ships back in New York for the 2015 summer season, sailing on their extremely popular itineraries to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau, or San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk. I also believe there will be 4 and 5 Day cruises to Canada. The only question is, will the Splendor be coming back, or some other ship(s)? Though I loved the Splendor, I have my fingers crossed for the Carnival Breeze. I can wish, can't I?? bigggrin.gif

This will also allow Carnival to return to Charleston and Norfolk to do their very popular seasonal cruises from those home ports!!

Well, that's my speculation, we'll just have to wait to see how this all plays out!!

Hey Jeff! Wishing is not a bad thing. I still have hopes for an in season ship for 2015. We can also wish for the Breeze, but maybe asking a lot. ;)

Maybe they will send the "Triumph" to NY...

Had to respond to this one....

NYC had her FIRST!!! I was on her third sailing from New York to Halifax, in August of 1999. She spent the rest of the summer in New York, before heading south.

CCL would be crazy not to come back to NYC. The spring/summer cruises have to be good for all the cruise lines. The winter cruises seem to be a tough sell, almost at giveaway prices now and Surely not worth it.

The deal I got for January I could not pass up.

Had to respond to this one....

NYC had her FIRST!!! I was on her third sailing from New York to Halifax, in August of 1999. She spent the rest of the summer in New York, before heading south.

I got to tour her just as she arrived from Italy in July of '99. Had a nice tour, and then lunch. John Heald was on, as were Kathy Lee and her husband. We sailed on her two months later.

With the Fantasy based in Charleston year round, I don't think that Carnival would make the seasonal itineraries with a repositioning ship like they used to do before.

DAY PORT OF CALL ARRIVE DEPART

Sat San Juan, Puerto Rico 10:00 PM

Sun St. Croix, Usvi 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Mon Martinique, Fwi 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

Tue Grenada 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Wed Dominica 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Thu Fun Day At Sea

Fri Grand Turk 9:00 AM 5:00 PM

Sat Fun Day At Sea

Sun Miami, FL 8:00 AM

This is directly from my booking that I just made. I was originally booked on the Nov. 1 SJ - NYC so just switched to exact cabin for Nov. 1st SJ-Miami.

DAY PORT OF CALL ARRIVE DEPART

Sat San Juan, Puerto Rico 10:00 PM

Sun St. Croix, Usvi 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Mon Martinique, Fwi 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

Tue Grenada 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Wed Dominica 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Thu Fun Day At Sea

Fri Grand Turk 9:00 AM 5:00 PM

Sat Fun Day At Sea

Sun Miami, FL 8:00 AM

This is directly from my booking that I just made. I was originally booked on the Nov. 1 SJ - NYC so just switched to exact cabin for Nov. 1st SJ-Miami.

Thank you Sarahleebones

Carnival needs to home-port another ship out of San Juan P.Rico

-along with VALOR currently there-

to do a truly-Southern route: Dutch ABC islands, Margarita, Tobago, Grenada, Barbados

that sorta route

I don't think they can fill one ship fron San Juan let alone 2.

The airfare to SJU is too expensive.

The itinerary you suggest is an awesome one though.

Maybe they could alternate weeks with the one ship.

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

I don't think they can fill one ship fron San Juan let alone 2.

The airfare to SJU is too expensive.

The itinerary you suggest is an awesome one though.

Maybe they could alternate weeks with the one ship.

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

Check out the new emission and green laws that take effect Jan 2015 looks like most of our ships that sail in the northeast are involved Fuel rates will triple without the upgrade. Carnival has plans to upgrade 32 of 104 ships by 2016. The law changes along the seaboard. Did carnival pull out awaiting upgrades to keep fuel costs down

Still pretty sad that the world's largest cruise company can't have a year-round presence out of the world's largest city. I remember them making such a big deal about the unique NY to San Juan routes and now they bail.

We go out of NY since flying into ft lauderdale and Miami is now a disaster with so many cruise ships dumping passengers on the weekends. Both of those airports can't handle the volumes yet the cruise lines keep dumping ships there.

We go on the a Splendor next week, but Carnival won't be seeing us flying to Florida. We will support the lines that offer year round NY cruises.

She certaily has moved around more than her fair share. When was she in FT Lauderdale? I don't remember that (not that it means anything).

Haha I actually sailed her out of Fort Lauderdale, she was there for a very short time when she was brand new, right before she went out to the West Coast.

No flames here. I think the reason Carnival has been pricing the Splendor so low is to sway people from booking NCL or RCI. It must be working. I was originally booked for my second cruise on the Breakaway 2/9 Then switched to the Splendor on 1/12 We are paying $949.00 for two including port and taxes. Breakaway was over $1700.00 for one less day. I aggree with others who think Carnival will go back to seasonal cruises out of NYC from April to October. Using one ship with a mix of Canada and Carribean itineraries. What they should really do if they want to compete would be to bring up a ship like the Breeze April to October. At least they can compete with NCL's Breakaway and RCI's Quantum of the Seas.

The Splendor is essentially a very mild update of the 1992 Destiny platform. RCI and NCL have proven what should have been inherently obvious to the carnival beards: New Yorkers can and will pay a large premium for the latest greatest thing. There are markets for 20 year old ship platforms - New York is not one of them.

PS - I don't think Splendor has gotten over its spam stigma. If they were gong to rename/and rebrand a vessel it should have been this one and the Triumph. Destiny was one of the few unique names out there and reflected CCLs fantastic position at the time of its launch. The removal of the Carnival Destiny name from the fleet seems to dovetail all too well with the line's current position... No Destiny.

Edited by nealstuber

I have only done a short 8 day on Splendor but I will say that its not really a cold weather ship given its open top decks.

My cruise was Mexican Riviera and it was perfect but I do feel a colder climate would not really suit Splendors layout.

Just my opinion:)

Edited by fishtaco

Still pretty sad that the world's largest cruise company can't have a year-round presence out of the world's largest city. I remember them making such a big deal about the unique NY to San Juan routes and now they bail.

We go out of NY since flying into ft lauderdale and Miami is now a disaster with so many cruise ships dumping passengers on the weekends. Both of those airports can't handle the volumes yet the cruise lines keep dumping ships there.

We go on the a Splendor next week, but Carnival won't be seeing us flying to Florida. We will support the lines that offer year round NY cruises.

I'm on the same ship as you next week and I agree with you. It seems like Carnival's presence on the East Coast is rapidly diminishing. For those of us who hate to fly (me!), it really makes me think about switching lines, which I DON'T want to do. I love Carnival and have achieved Platinum status with them, and would now have to start at the bottom with another liner (not to mention the additional fares the other liners charge). Don't feel warm and fuzzy about Carnival's exodus from the east coast at all.