Venice hotel to port

vino100

Assuming you are referring to a private water taxi, not a vaporetto, correct? (I ask because many folks are a little confused on the terminology...)

If it's a private water taxi, they can drop you off at the Marittima port, eliminating the need to use the People Mover. However, there's no guarantee they can drop you right next to your ship.

Here is a map of the entire port. If you look towards the top right of the yellow areas you'll see where the water taxi stand is. The length of your walk will depend on your ship's berth assignment.

When we arrived in Venice on the Westerdam earlier this month we were docked at #117 (on the left hand side of the map). Even with luggage, it was only about a five minute walk from the ship to the water taxi dock.

e20d004b26e9ce8fe376170c7ec12cb2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here is a map of the entire port. If you look towards the top right of the yellow areas you'll see where the water taxi stand is. The length of your walk will depend on your ship's berth assignment.

When we arrived in Venice on the Westerdam earlier this month we were docked at #117 (on the left hand side of the map). Even with luggage, it was only about a five minute walk from the ship to the water taxi dock.

e20d004b26e9ce8fe376170c7ec12cb2.jpg

Thanks, Cindy [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgive my ignorance-but I'm interested in clarifying terminology .....never been to Venice but we have a Viking ocean cruise booked for March! What is a people mover and what is the difference between a water taxi and a vaporetto?

Also- any idea which port Viking uses?

Thank you!

Any recommendations for a hotel with easy access to front door by water taxi/vaporetto would be appreciated.

Forgive my ignorance-but I'm interested in clarifying terminology .....never been to Venice but we have a Viking ocean cruise booked for March! What is a people mover and what is the difference between a water taxi and a vaporetto?

Thank you!

Any recommendations for a hotel with easy access to front door by water taxi/vaporetto would be appreciated.

We're staying at the Hotel Becher in March.. they have a private dock and a private water taxi will drop u off right at the hotel

A vaporetto is a public water bus. A water taxi is a (VERY expensive) private speedboat, that can sometimes be shared with others. The people mover is an elevated railway that transports passengers around a mile from the main cruise terminal to Piazzale Roma, the main car park and water bus terminus and the main entrance to Venice.

If you can afford it, your own water taxi from the airport into Venice direct to your hotel is a wonderful experience.

The vaporettos run to and from the airport and all around the canals and other islands.

The people mover costs only one euro each way, but there are only a few carriages and there are often queues for the next one. There is quite a bit of walking at each end. Land taxis charge the earth to take you about a mile and will not use their meters.

Thank you!

Bolinge's explanation above is excellent, so I'm not going to repeat it, but I will add a couple things...

The water taxis are expensive, but for us with luggage it was very much worth it. We purchased our water taxis in advance and there was a slight savings. When we got to port we turned in our voucher at the transportation booth and they called our taxi. It was simple and convenient. Here's a link to the website: http://www.venicelink.com/en

We were a little intimidated by the transportation system when we got to Venice, but once we started using it we found it's really quite simple and efficient. We bought passes for the vaporetto and liked the ability to hop on and off. We even used it a couple times to go one stop, because that one stop was on the other side of the canal and that meant a very long walk! You can buy passes at a machine at the stops using a credit card, at major stops with cash, and at many tobacco shops. We found the vaporetto consistently crowded at all times of the day and night. We also thought it would be difficult to use with cruise luggage, and we didn't want to try to navigate the streets of Venice with suitcases. I believe you are supposed to pay the equivalent to your vaporetto fare for each suitcase over one, but since we didn't do that I'm not sure how it works.

We stayed at the Hotel Palazzo Abadessa and loved it! It's a classic Venetian hotel with a private dock and tons of charm. We liked the location. It was less than five minutes to the Ca d' Oro vaporetto stop, yet it was on a very quiet street away from the masses of tourists. Here's a link to their website. You can look and see if it's a place you might be interested in: http://www.abadessa.com.

Good luck! Venice is a fascinating city, and I wish I had had another two weeks to wander around its many unique and eclectic neighborhoods![emoji846]

Thank you!

I've used the Alilaguna blue line from the airport to our hotel 5 min walk from San Marco, and from there to the cruise terminal.

The hotel was Fontana, from the San Zaccaria stop 5 min walk with no bridges and no stairs to cross. Cheaper than other options, leaves you right on the dock. The boats are geared towards passengers with luggage, with a special area for it.

Worth checking out this option:

http://www.alilaguna.it/en/linea-blu/map

Thank you fellow cruisers for all your great information- much appreciated.

I'll be checking into hotel choices. We will be cruising with 2 another couples but only 1 will be going pre cruise with us. With 2 couples sharing a water taxi - we can split cost and it won't be so extravagant!

You will probably get more questions from me as the time gets closer.

just a note on a previous post

Vaparettos don't operate from the airport

Instead a separate company Alilaguna run from Airport to Venice and some routes around Venice but not as many as Vaparetto

they are both public transport systems but passes for one don't work on the other

Instead a separate company Alilaguna run from Airport to Venice and some routes around Venice but not as many as Vaparetto

they are both public transport systems but passes for one don't work on the other

We got a water taxi from the airport to the Hotel Hilton Molina Stuckey and enjoyed the ride and the hotel.

In the morning we arranged a water taxi to take us to the ship.

We got a water taxi from the airport to the Hotel Hilton Molina Stuckey and enjoyed the ride and the hotel.

In the morning we arranged a water taxi to take us to the ship.

yes Water taxis are a fun way to get to hotel from airport-have also stayed at Molino Stucky

however it is expensive and public transport ie Alilaguna is the budget alternative

Alilaguna also goes directly to the port, where the vaporetto can only get you as far as Piazalle Roma and the people mover. A single ride on the alilaguna is €8. We used it to get from St. Mark's Square back to the port after a very long day of touring.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just booked a shared water taxi through Bucintoro Viaggi that is picking us up at our hotel in Central Venice and taking us to the cruise terminal - 35-40 euro per person. To rent a private water taxi I believe it is around 200 euro for the same trip. Bucintoro gets good ratings here : https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Products-g187870-zfc12044-zfg11875-Venice_Veneto.html

We just booked a shared water taxi through Bucintoro Viaggi that is picking us up at our hotel in Central Venice and taking us to the cruise terminal - 35-40 euro per person. To rent a private water taxi I believe it is around 200 euro for the same trip.

A private water taxi from central Venice to the cruise terminal (about eight minutes) is €92 euros.

https://m.motoscafivenezia.it/eng/biglietto_1.php

Our pre-reserved/paid water taxi from the port to our hotel was €69, and the trip from our hotel to Piazalle Roma when we left (by private car) was €55. Their price (for 2-4 people) for an airport-hotel trip or the reverse is €109.

Our pre-reserved/paid water taxi from the port to our hotel was €69, and the trip from our hotel to Piazalle Roma when we left (by private car) was €55. Their price (for 2-4 people) for an airport-hotel trip or the reverse is €109.

When was it? We paid 120 euro from airport to Hotel last week . Official flat rate.