Best Camera For Holland America Cruise??

Ellioott

I use a Sony Cyber-shot and am very pleased with the shots I've gotten on cruises. It zooms great , get good landscape shots and good shots indoors.

The reason I bought it was that it would fit in my pocket so it's easy to carry around the ship or on excursions :D but I love the shots I've gotten on it

Keep in mind that all point and shoots, bridge cameras and most DSLR's have an auto mode that will take decent pix right out of the box......

This is somewhat true, to a point. If you set your camera on auto and then go take pictures of speedboats whizzing by or glaciers calving, you're gonna wonder why your photo is blurry. Likewise if you set it and forget it on sports/action mode, you're going to wonder why some of your images are dark and/or blurry or maybe orange. It definitely pays to at least have a basic understanding of the various controls of whatever camera you have and how they work. Not everything can be fixed in post.

I use a Sony Cyber-shot and am very pleased with the shots I've gotten on cruises. It zooms great , get good landscape shots and good shots indoors.

The reason I bought it was that it would fit in my pocket so it's easy to carry around the ship or on excursions :D but I love the shots I've gotten on it

Set on auto I shoot our son's race car with this (Sony Cyber-shot) camera and it seems to "stop action" very well.

The only blurry shots I get are if I get excited and move the camera :D:D Mine is the model that's just over $250

I used my Canon SX50 HS on the Voyage of the Vikings in 2015 and loved it. Also used it for our 66 day to Australia and New Zealand. The current model is the SX60 HS. Outstanding zoom features with image stabilization and easy to use video.

times 2

We used to carry a DSLR, but this one SX60 is great. It has some learning curve when pushing the take button, especially at max zoom which almost takes a tripod, but a lot better than carrying all sorts of lens.

Honestly, it depends on the type and level of photos you want to shoot.

I have my trusty Nikon D40. I've had it for years. Back when I bought it, it was Nikon's entry-level DSLR. But, it had a great feel in my hands, a tiny bit smaller than the other DSLRs. I bought a compact 18-200 lens for it. It is a great all-purpose travel lens. It works for everything on a regular vacation and everyday shots. But, for my safari trip to Kenya, I wanted something that I knew would be able to get some far-away shots of animals. So, I bit the bullet and bought another zoom that went further. I had both with me, so depending on what was going on, I'd switch between them.

I know any camera I have has to have a viewfinder, not just that screen. I do not want to have to use my reading glasses every time I want to take a photo! I get asked all the time to take photos of guests with their P&S and smartphones - I always have to warn that I can't see if what I'm doing is clear of fuzzy ;) With my camera's viewfinder, I see what I'm doing and I can adjust the diopter if needed.

OP,

I don't want to put a damper on things where are you sailing out of? Hopefully Vancouver?

I ask as there are potential new regs coming into place for anything bigger than a cell phone (and includes cameras) for people flying into the U.S. From Europe (I noticed you priced your camera in pounds).

If you are flying into Vancouver for Alaska, no worries. Canada has not stated any intentions to institute this yet.

The new regulations are pending so, if they affect you, you might want to keep your eye on things before you make your purchase?

photo.php?fbid=1885758115010251&set=pcb.1885758141676915&type=3&theaterphoto.php?fbid=1885758111676918&set=pcb.1885758141676915&type=3&theaterLast summer I used a Canon T2i with a Canon 16-35mm lens. I generally use the sports setting with auto focus.

This setting is great for moving objects, you or something you're photographing. Took a lot of pics from the various bus tours.

I tried to upload two pics but kept getting a message a security token was missing (??)

photo.php?fbid=1885758111676918&set=pcb.1885758141676915&type=3&theater

Edited by Reagan0712
Trying to add photos

I have been happy with my bridge camera a Panasonic FZ200. I bought it several years ago to go to Tanzania and have taken it now on three safaris. ive used it on and couple cruises including to Hawaii. As stated I think here is a newer model but if you are on a budget you could get the older model for a reasonable price. i take a lot of short videos with it. The thing I like with the video is it does a pretty good job if not having a lot of wind noise if you take videos. My friends newer Nikon picked up a lot of wind sound. I don't think on a cruise you need a zoom over 24x.

I have been happy with my bridge camera a Panasonic FZ200. I bought it several years ago to go to Tanzania and have taken it now on three safaris. ive used it on and couple cruises including to Hawaii. As stated I think here is a newer model but if you are on a budget you could get the older model for a reasonable price. i take a lot of short videos with it. The thing I like with the video is it does a pretty good job if not having a lot of wind noise if you take videos. My friends newer Nikon picked up a lot of wind sound. I don't think on a cruise you need a zoom over 24x.

Love this camera, and the weatherproofed FZ300 - that f2.8 across the entire focal length is awesome!

Just got a Canon PowerShot SX 620. $229 on Amazon. 25x zoom. Tiny and light, fits in my jeans pocket. Has an awesome special effects setting that takes 6 photos when you take one...like having a photo editor built in. Please see my review on Amazon for photo samples. I'm thrilled with it!

We bought a brand new D7200 Nikon to replace our elderly Nikon 8800 for WC 2016. It worked great; however we also had an elderly Nikon coolpix s4000 that was compact and was a 2d camera to take when we didn't want to lug the big one.

the latter s4000 died during WC. After much research we chose a Canon SX710 HS as the replacement 'small' camera and took it on the Grand Med this year (56days). It far surpassed our expectations! Not only did it take great pictures, it took better low light pictures than our expensive Nikon. Additionally, it had the most easy to use on/off for videos - a separate button on the top that you depressed to start video and re-depressed to stop it. Wonderful method.

Anyway, if one is looking for an inexpensive yet very good alternative to the big cameras, I strongly suggest looking at this one.

harry

ps: I have no interest/stock/etc in Canon - in fact, that was the first one I ever bought having always had Nikon.

As you could imagine, you received many suggestions as to the "ideal' camera.

You mentioned that you are interested in the Sony RX100. I have this camera and it is a great travel camera - light, compact and with many semi-pro features. If you are looking for a used RX100, try to get either a model III or IV. Also spend considerable time learning all of the features of this camera (or any camera) before going on your trip.

Bob

The best camera is one you have with you. If it's back in your stateroom because it's too heavy, then it's probably not a good fit.

Also for Alaska, you may need one with a lot of zoom. Also, a weather proof camera is a plus.

With the given price range a compact camera is the best deal.

I´m a Panasonic fan (currently Lumix DMC TX71). Panasonic announced a new model (TX91) for June or July. So the "old" TX81 might go down in price and you may get a good deal. The TX series has a great wide angle (for taking ship photos) but also a great zoom (up to 720mm compared to the "old system"). So it comes in handy for every situation. I mainly take photos for my blog and that´s a perfect allround camera.

My DH has two Canon DSLRs and sorry, I´m too stupid to work with them. They are way to heavy for me. You need different lenses for different situations. He´s schlepping a lot of stuff around. He just tried out a non DSLR - a Sony Alpha 6000 and bought it instantly. Great pictures for someone used to an DSLR. But nothing for me anyway. Still too big.

I totally agree, it´s not about the amount of money you spend for your equipment. You also have to know how to take a photo (yep, I´m still far behind my DH on that). I´ve seen people with cameras and lenses my DH would have loved to have. Then they pointed into an direction where nothing was going on. The action was going on on the other side... I still don´t know what the heck this person did take a photo of (BTW the shot was against the bright sunlight).

I just took part in a workshop with a professional photographer. One of the other participants carrying around a lot of pricey stuff said... the owner of my favorite photo shop said to me that I´m carrying around such a great equipment but my photos are boring. What can I do to get more interesting photos?

steamboats

With the given price range a compact camera is the best deal.

I´m a Panasonic fan (currently Lumix DMC TX71). Panasonic announced a new model (TX91) for June or July. So the "old" TX81 might go down in price and you may get a good deal. The TX series has a great wide angle (for taking ship photos) but also a great zoom (up to 720mm compared to the "old system"). So it comes in handy for every situation. I mainly take photos for my blog and that´s a perfect allround camera.

My DH has two Canon DSLRs and sorry, I´m too stupid to work with them. They are way to heavy for me. You need different lenses for different situations. He´s schlepping a lot of stuff around. He just tried out a non DSLR - a Sony Alpha 6000 and bought it instantly. Great pictures for someone used to an DSLR. But nothing for me anyway. Still too big.

I totally agree, it´s not about the amount of money you spend for your equipment. You also have to know how to take a photo (yep, I´m still far behind my DH on that). I´ve seen people with cameras and lenses my DH would have loved to have. Then they pointed into an direction where nothing was going on. The action was going on on the other side... I still don´t know what the heck this person did take a photo of (BTW the shot was against the bright sunlight).

I just took part in a workshop with a professional photographer. One of the other participants carrying around a lot of pricey stuff said... the owner of my favorite photo shop said to me that I´m carrying around such a great equipment but my photos are boring. What can I do to get more interesting photos?

steamboats

Here in the US, the TX71 is known as the ZS50 and I think it's a great camera! Are you using it iniAuto mode all the time?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here in the US, the TX71 is known as the ZS50 and I think it's a great camera! Are you using it iniAuto mode all the time?

Thanks, I was pretty sure that the "name" is different in the US. I´m mainly using the iA mode. But I also use the scene modes especially for sunsets/sunrises. For flowers I use the macro mode. I love it especially because I can take inside photos without using the (senseless) flash. I had several previous models. Connecting the camera via WiFi with my cell phone is pretty convenient for posting photos on Instagram or Facebook. At the workshop I recently attended I was teached the manual mode too :D. Here are the photos of the workshop. The flower (Strelizie in German) or the running water were taken with manual settings. The panoramic shots turn out nicely too. I guess I´m keeping my TZ71 for the rest of the year and then check the price of the new TZ91. Actually with roughly 5 to 6 extensive photo reviews of my cruises I´m sort of a "power" user regading the camera and that´s not really what those cameras are made for (I´m already up to 17,000 photos on the TZ71)

steamboats

Thanks, I was pretty sure that the "name" is different in the US. I´m mainly using the iA mode. But I also use the scene modes especially for sunsets/sunrises. For flowers I use the macro mode. I love it especially because I can take inside photos without using the (senseless) flash. I had several previous models. Connecting the camera via WiFi with my cell phone is pretty convenient for posting photos on Instagram or Facebook. At the workshop I recently attended I was teached the manual mode too :D. Here are the photos of the workshop. The flower (Strelizie in German) or the running water were taken with manual settings. The panoramic shots turn out nicely too. I guess I´m keeping my TZ71 for the rest of the year and then check the price of the new TZ91. Actually with roughly 5 to 6 extensive photo reviews of my cruises I´m sort of a "power" user regading the camera and that´s not really what those cameras are made for (I´m already up to 17,000 photos on the TZ71)

steamboats

I received the ZS50 as a gift this past Christmas - I had asked for it over the newer models (the ZS70 came out a couple of weeks ago) as I prefer the 12.1 mp sensor for better low light photography in a compact point and shoot.

I'm thinking that at the workshop, the instructor meant he wanted you to get out of using the preset modes and manually set up the photos