Silhouette 4/23 MDR Experience

sasset

Just back from a great cruise, our first on an 'S Class'.

Had an interesting experience one night at dinner in the MDR. We had Select Dining and were seated at 845. Wife and I ordered Prime Rib. When 'it' arrived it was a rib eye steak covered in brown gravy. We knew this wasn't what they had been serving as Prime Rib as we saw other diners with true Prime Rib. We declined the dish citing that it wasn't Prime Rib. This ended up bringing the Maitre d' and the Chef to our table (we didn't ask for either of them). Eventually they explained that they were out of Prime Rib and assumed that this would be an acceptable substitution, which to us it wasn't.

I don't know why they just didn't have the server tell us they were out and that we should order something different. That would have been OK. These things happen, particularly if you are a late diner. Trying to pass that off as prime rib and then have the big tableside excuse-a-thon was very unprofessional. It also wasn't fare to our waiter.

• 2 weeks later...

Your waiter should have been told that your order was not available as soon as he put the order in. He should have given you a chance to state second choice. That being said. I have a question regarding seating in the MD. We have traditional dining on our Sept. 2017 cruise and have heard rumors that because of the larger crowds for select dining, the traditional dining is on Deck 4. Just wondering if you were on Deck 3 or 4. We are looking forward to a great cruise, no matter what!

Had an interesting experience one night at dinner in the MDR. We had Select Dining and were seated at 845. Wife and I ordered Prime Rib. When 'it' arrived it was a rib eye steak covered in brown gravy. We knew this wasn't what they had been serving as Prime Rib as we saw other diners with true Prime Rib. We declined the dish citing that it wasn't Prime Rib. This ended up bringing the Maitre d' and the Chef to our table (we didn't ask for either of them). Eventually they explained that they were out of Prime Rib and assumed that this would be an acceptable substitution, which to us it wasn't.

I don't know why they just didn't have the server tell us they were out and that we should order something different. That would have been OK. These things happen, particularly if you are a late diner. Trying to pass that off as prime rib and then have the big tableside excuse-a-thon was very unprofessional. It also wasn't fare to our waiter.

Wow..,,very shady.

On our last 2 cruises, we could not get the Prime Rib in BLU and the maitre d would not let us know when it would be served in MDR...we plan to find that out on our next cruise so we don't miss it..hope it' s worth it!

Oh, that is not smooth handled. How did it end? Did they offer you something else, or did you have to go hungry to bed?

Wow..,,very shady.

On our last 2 cruises, we could not get the Prime Rib in BLU and the maitre d would not let us know when it would be served in MDR...we plan to find that out on our next cruise so we don't miss it..hope it' s worth it!

Prime Rib is offered on the first night of EVERY Celebrity cruise in the MDR.

Prime Rib is offered on the first night of EVERY Celebrity cruise in the MDR.

Thanks...Good to know.for our next cruise, .We'll make a res for an early time in Select...Prime Rib is our fav...even over filet mignon and the rib eye

. We have res for Tuscan and Q sine on other nights so that should give some nice variety...not every nite in BLU is a winner..have not seen the new menu

Your waiter should have been told that your order was not available as soon as he put the order in. He should have given you a chance to state second choice. That being said. I have a question regarding seating in the MD. We have traditional dining on our Sept. 2017 cruise and have heard rumors that because of the larger crowds for select dining, the traditional dining is on Deck 4. Just wondering if you were on Deck 3 or 4. We are looking forward to a great cruise, no matter what!

We were Select and it was on deck 4. The 'Prime Rib Incident' happened on the 7th night (14 night cruise). They offered us, and we accepted, a comp to Tuscan Grille. What still puzzles me is why they smothered what was probably a decent ribeye steak with thick, brown gravy.

Edited by sasset
accuracy

We were Select and it was on deck 4. The 'Prime Rib Incident' happened on the 7th night (14 night cruise). They offered us, and we accepted, a comp to Tuscan Grille. What still puzzles me is why they smothered what was probably a decent ribeye steak with thick, brown gravy.

Maybe because some people like brown gravy on a rib eye steak.:)

Wow..,,very shady.

You won't be served the traditional Prime Rib in Blu. You can check the menu every day and you won't have to rely on anyone to tell you when it is being served in the MDR. When the day rolls around, just go to select dining for dinner that night in the MDR. No conspiracy here.

We were on the Infinity for our last cruise and for the first time did Concierge Class. I thought we were on the main floor due to our cabin class, but I guess it was just because flex dining is becoming the norm,

The only difference between "prime rib" and a rib eye steak is the cooking method. Its the exact same cut of meat.
Yes that is true. A hard boiled egg and a sunny side up egg are both eggs...

Also a bit of a correction on my description of the steak. My wife reminded me that it looked like they had sliced one ribeye lengthwise to make two portions as both of our servings were much thinner than most ribeye steak servings. As for the gravy, yes some people may like brown gravy on a ribeye; some people may like ketchup on a ribeye, but I don't think it would be delivered to your table covered in ketchup.

Edited by sasset
clarification

We did the Luminae couple times and try the special restaurants I never had a decent PrimeRib what I'm looking for is PrimeRib -of Beef Au jus Bone -in Cut I don't think in Celebrity ships is possible .

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The prime rib is good but it's not as good as everybody is making it sound and just because it says prime rib does not mean it is a prime cut of beef, ask your butcher.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You won't be served the traditional Prime Rib in Blu. You can check the menu every day and you won't have to rely on anyone to tell you when it is being served in the MDR. When the day rolls around, just go to select dining for dinner that night in the MDR. No conspiracy here.

We always were able to get a nice thick prime rib with bone in BLU...but that was when every effort was made to say YES.....the good ole days!

Must admit that after many yrs on X and in BLU from inception, this time around we did spend quite a bit of time menu checking for BLU and MDR on Infinity..,.Sr staff in BLU not very helpful or too busy waiting on tables and clearing dishes. And we were just tired of poultry.

Giving it another try next Oct....and hoping for better luck in BLU...