Mobile passport at port Everglades

dpluta

Never mind my previous question. I googled it because my curiosity got the best of me. I was wondering if it would help speed the process of disembarkation without the Luggage Valet program that X cut. It appears as though it's just for use in airports. Here's a link I found. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.mobilepassport&hl=en

I would check with Port Everglade or with CBP. We're cruising in and out of Miami in Dec. and I'm going to check there. Thanks for the thread question.

It is, the link I listed is from the Google App store and contains, along with the description of the app, a list of airports where it can currently be used. When I received your reply I was on the government site you listed below, but although it can be used at FLL and MIA airports, I saw no listing of any cruise ports. I tried calling CBP, but the contact number listed had the letters "CBP" listed. I used the numbers 227 (corresponding) and dialed to ask about cruise ports and the call wouldn't go through, so I was in the process of emailing the question when I saw your reply.

Sorry, just spoke with CBP and Port of Miami (didn't call Everglades) and Mobile Passport is only in selected airports, no cruise ports at this time. I was hoping (once I saw your post) to use it to expedite things with the absence of Luggage Valet.:(

Sorry, just spoke with CBP and Port of Miami (didn't call Everglades) and Mobile Passport is only in selected airports, no cruise ports at this time. I was hoping (once I saw your post) to use it to expedite things with the absence of Luggage Valet.:(

Thanks for doing the leg work. Hopefully they will include cruise ports soon.

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) INFO Center.

Airports Council International-North America worked closely with U.S. Customs and Border Protection to design and implement a secure, fast, and traveler-friendly process for Mobile Passport Control. The Mobile Passport Control app is sponsored by ACI-NA and developed by Airside Mobile, Inc.

Please contact AirSide Moblie so they may better assist. http://airsidemobile.com/

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to call our toll-free number 877-CBP-5511 (877-227-5511). From outside the United States, please call 202-325-8000 – you may incur charges from your telephone service provider for this call. Our service hours are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Eastern Time. We are closed on all U.S. federal holidays.

We hope our answers ease your entry into the United States. Please understand these answers are informational only, The CBP officer who speaks with you upon arrival determines the admissibility of goods and visitors.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center

NOTE: The answers provided in this forum are for general information purposes only. Utilizing this forum does not constitute Reasonable Care under Informed Compliance guidelines.

Just got the above from CBP answering your query. If you find out it has changed going forward, please post!

Mobile Passport is coming to Port Everglades Friday, November 4. See link to press release.

http://www.porteverglades.net/articles/post/port-everglades-launches-mobile-passport-control-program/

So, what does this mean for passengers? Will there now be multiple lines for expedited processing (MPC, Global Entry, NEXUS, etc.), as well as the regular old line for passengers without membership in any of these programs? Does a NEXUS card holder just continue using it or jump into the MPC program? With the supposed start date only two days away, it would be nice to have a better feel for how all these programs are going to mesh. Or not, as the case may be.

BTW, the CBP FAQ states that the program is open to Canadian citizens as well, although the Port Everglades press release only mentions U.S. citizens. With a cruise just over a week away, I'll have my Nexus card in one hand, my iPhone in the other and my passport clenched tightly between my teeth! I'll also have a puzzled look on my face, not knowing which line to join. :)

So, what does this mean for passengers? Will there now be multiple lines for expedited processing (MPC, Global Entry, NEXUS, etc.), as well as the regular old line for passengers without membership in any of these programs? Does a NEXUS card holder just continue using it or jump into the MPC program? With the supposed start date only two days away, it would be nice to have a better feel for how all these programs are going to mesh. Or not, as the case may be.

BTW, the CBP FAQ states that the program is open to Canadian citizens as well, although the Port Everglades press release only mentions U.S. citizens. With a cruise just over a week away, I'll have my Nexus card in one hand, my iPhone in the other and my passport clenched tightly between my teeth! I'll also have a puzzled look on my face, not knowing which line to join. :)

I'll be right behind you with my Known Traveler (TSA PreCheck) Number, phone is android so maybe by the time we disembark in San Diego it will be active there too. Passport in the teeth is a nice image! :)

Cheryl

I'll be right behind you with my Known Traveler (TSA PreCheck) Number, phone is android so maybe by the time we disembark in San Diego it will be active there too. Passport in the teeth is a nice image! :)

Cheryl

The Mobile Passport app is available in the android app store, so even though the CBP FAQ says iPhones, it's a bit behind. Unfortunately this cruise we leave from Miami. Ahh for the days of Luggage Valet! Maybe by next Nov. I can learn to juggle my phone, passport (in RFID protective sleeve of course) and TSA Pre-Check number.;)

No fees!

It's a great time saver. We used the app for the first time coming back to the U.S. from Amsterdam this past May. Very easy! No filling out immigration forms on the airplane anymore. :)

Also, you can put as many passports on your device as needed. My DH does not carry his iPhone when we travel, so both passports are on my device.

Edited by Iamthesea

I'll be clutching my Global Entry card and hoping for the best.

I will be there with ya!

If I understand all this correctly, the Mobile Passport helps with the customs process, whereas Global Entry is more for Immigration, with customs built into it. People with the MP ap will have to go through the more 'strict' Immigration process, but it will be more streamlined, but not as much as the GE process. I'm thinking that since we have GE, that MP won't be necessary.

Last year when we sailed out of Port Everglades, there was a GE line, which we were directed. We had filled out our customs form and and waltzed right through. It was quick and easy.

Update: Just because I could, I downloaded the MP ap and tried to enter a "New Trip". I get stuck when trying to "Select Port of Arrival". It correctly shows PEV (Port Everglades), but I cannot select it as it says "coming soon". I guess I won't be able to select that until tomorrow (Nov 4).

We sail in a few days out of PE, so I will post our experience upon our return!

Edited by CaroleSS

I will be there with ya!

If I understand all this correctly, the Mobile Passport helps with the customs process, whereas Global Entry is more for Immigration, with customs built into it. People with the MP ap will have to go through the more 'strict' Immigration process, but it will be more streamlined, but not as much as the GE process. I'm thinking that since we have GE, that MP won't be necessary.

Last year when we sailed out of Port Everglades, there was a GE line, which we were directed. We had filled out our customs form and and waltzed right through. It was quick and easy.

We sail in a few days out of PE, so I will post our experience upon our return!

That is correct...MP is better than filling out the form but GE is better than MP

Can you not use both, using GE (or NEXUS) to speed the immigration process and MPC for the customs process?

nope...but if it was me I'd use GE (followed by NEXUS) over everything else

Edited by oroszdb

Actually, the best thing to do is go to the shortest line. :D

We have TSA PreCheck, and sometimes that line is longer than the "everybody else" line. All we do is go through the shortest line, show our TSA PreCheck card or boarding pass, and we are through in a jiffy!

With the Mobile Pass, we would heads and tails ahead of everyone trying to come back into the U.S. Oh, I said earlier that there was no filling out immigration forms...I meant custom forms. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea