Diamond Plus Loss of Benefits

And now back to the original topic . . .: - ) We recently achieved diamond status and are happily pursuing D+. Can someone give me a quick comparison of the differences between the two that mean the most to you? Thanks.

Honestly, I think the only differences we've found to be important to us are the onboard discounts, if remembering correctly:D, D's get a discount on the bag of laundry and we each get a free bag, on long cruises we definitely use that! We sometimes use the free internet but can live without it. On some ships, we've enjoyed the CL more than the DL (only because it was less crowded and less noisy) but are ok if D+ no longer have access.

We've been D+ since 2009 and are over 400 points to Pinnacle but really don't care if we get there or not as I don't see that it is worth it to us. We are cruising other lines now along with RC, just to get some different experiences.

Sherri:)

Thank you, as do I .... but so many threads on here from cruisers who have status that think they should occupy this lounge... I just think Suite guests should have priority in the SL/CL lounge.

I sorta of agree that the DL is like a club, and one must be a member to attend. But don't mind tweaking people on this from time to time.... LOL

What about a CL? How do you feel about this lounge?

My wife and I enjoy it. It would be great if they all had the wonderful scenic views we had on the Radiance. Floor to ceiling! We met some very nice people and the Concierges were extremely helpful.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Honestly, I think the only differences we've found to be important to us are the onboard discounts, if remembering correctly:D, D's get a discount on the bag of laundry and we each get a free bag, on long cruises we definitely use that! We sometimes use the free internet but can live without it. On some ships, we've enjoyed the CL more than the DL (only because it was less crowded and less noisy) but are ok if D+ no longer have access.

We've been D+ since 2009 and are over 400 points to Pinnacle but really don't care if we get there or not as I don't see that it is worth it to us. We are cruising other lines now along with RC, just to get some different experiences.

Thanks for your input. I don't think we will achieve PINNACLE but we will have fun trying. : - )

My wife and I enjoy it. It would be great if they all had the wonderful scenic views we had on the Radiance. Floor to ceiling! We met some very nice people and the Concierges were extremely helpful.

Which lounge are you talking about, the DL, SL/CL? What is your Status? Are you generally in Suites?

I really like the increased balcony discount. I always check the price of ocean view cabins, and then balcony prices after my discount. If the prices are close, I'll go for the balcony.

Which lounge are you talking about, the DL, SL/CL? What is your Status? Are you generally in Suites?

I was referring to the CL on the Radiance which has floor to ceiling windows when I said it would be nice if all suite lounges had such a view. Yes, we usually cruise in full suites. We achieved D after our cruise on the Adventure last December.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Totally agree, and looking forward to another Alaska scenic trip with Radiance next

month! Though we actually prefer the DL on that cruise, since it has the forward

facing sweeping view, versus the side view in the CL. My favorite was the sail away

out of Skagway with the view of the glaciers, waterfalls, and mountains on the way out.

With cocktail in hand no less! ;)

Everyone we met in the DL were wonderful. We had Andrew as concierge, who was also

great...but I hear Juan Diego is now in the DL on Radiance of whom many have expressed

appreciation for!

Edited by island lady

Totally agree, and looking forward to another Alaska scenic trip with Radiance next

month! Though we actually prefer the DL on that cruise, since it has the forward

facing sweeping view, versus the side view in the CL. My favorite was the sail away

out of Skagway with the view of the glaciers, waterfalls, and mountains on the way out.

With cocktail in hand no less! ;)

Everyone we met in the DL were wonderful. We had Andrew as concierge, who was also

great...but I hear Juan Diego is now in the DL on Radiance of whom many have expressed

appreciation for!

We met Juan in the CL during our Alaska cruise on the Radiance. Wonderful personality. We also had the pleasure of meeting the ship captain in the CL and having dinner with him on the first formal night. That dinner was very special since our anniversary was that same day. I think the captain was Claus Anderson.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Kay, you will never grow old! You will be eternally a child at heart! :D

Pat, like my grandmother lived her life......may grow older, but not growing up!:) Might miss out on some fun, if I grow up!;)

Wish we were cruising with you and Bucky on your b2b Alaskan cruises.....have fun! We'll cruise again soon together! John and I will be back on our favorite ship, Freedom 8/21! I may do some b2b2b solo cruises this fall.:) Maybe my pinnacle status will have me a seat in Troy's lounge, soon!:p

Edited by cruising grandma

This morning I am on my PC (Windows). Sometimes my IMac, sometimes IPad, and sometimes IPhone.

I would say it's about equal between the PC and IPhone. In the morning, drinking coffee and talking with my lady, I generally use the IPhone. After she goes to work, I will hop on my PC or IMac. In evening, I like pool time and I use my IPhone to keep in touch.

Why? When I use my IPhone, I use Safari.... Not an app.... Does that help?

I'm not knowledgeable on Apple products, so I may not be able to coach you much more. Pretty sure there are slight differences in the buttons and such

Thank you, as do I .... but so many threads on here from cruisers who have status that think they should occupy this lounge... I just think Suite guests should have priority in the SL/CL lounge.

I sorta of agree that the DL is like a club, and one must be a member to attend. But don't mind tweaking people on this from time to time.... LOL

What about a CL? How do you feel about this lounge?

First off D and D+ aren't even allowed in the SL so your earlier question is mute.

As far as CL, it is what it is. D+ and PC are allowed to use it. That could change, who knows.

We met Juan in the CL during our Alaska cruise on the Radiance. Wonderful personality. We also had the pleasure of meeting the ship captain in the CL and having dinner with him on the first formal night. That dinner was very special since our anniversary was that same day. I think the captain was Claus Anderson.

Wow...how perfect is that?!! :) Nice! What a great way to celebrate your anniversary!

I do think I remember Captain Claus...but not sure if it was Radiance or another

ship?

Looking forward to seeing Juan, who has just taken the helm of the DL now since

his return.

Pat, like my grandmother lived her life......may grow older, but not growing up!:) Might miss out on some fun, if I grow up!;)

Wish we were cruising with you and Bucky on your b2b Alaskan cruises.....have fun! We'll cruise again soon together! John and I will be back on our favorite ship, Freedom 8/21! I may do some b2b2b solo cruises this fall.:) Maybe my pinnacle status will have me a seat in Troy's lounge, soon!:p

Thanks!!

Wish you and John were joining us also!! That would bring real life to the festivities

no matter what lounge we would hang out in. :D

I won't be able to make Freedom before she leaves us here in PC...so sad to see

her go! Really missing Enchantment also. Freedom is another ship that we prefer

the DL versus the CL. Larger with a nice view! :)

As to the theme of this thread, losing the CL as a D+ benefit is no real big

deal to us. Most ships we do indeed prefer the DL anyway.

Edited by island lady

Only if the thread derails too far or personal attacks happen.

It may seem like an important topic on this board, but in the grand scheme of things D+s who actually care about losing their CL access is probably a very small minority of the cruising public.

You are probably correct, although it's a non-scientific sample! :)

For us the Radiance class Concierge Club is far superior to the Diamond Club. On other ships, the Diamond Club is better. Go figure.

It really annoys me when posters say since they don't care, I shouldn't care either. Or worse yet, I'm some kind of snob for caring about what perks come with my number of cruise points.

3 drink vouchers and Internet minutes are perks that have been added, does that offset what's been lost?

Only if the thread derails too far or personal attacks happen.

It may seem like an important topic on this board, but in the grand scheme of things D+s who actually care about losing their CL access is probably a very small minority of the cruising public.

I really don't care that much about losing CL, but I am just over a year and a half from my god card. ;)

Plus there is no CL on Oasis or MJ, so it really doesn't impact me that much.

As far as other D+ benefits, her is what I like.

BOGO on specialty restaurants

Additional internet time

Larger balcony discount

Access to CL if available

Welcome back wine

Chops breakfast on some ships

D++ gets you 150% solo surcharge, some tours, breakfast with officer, more wine :D

I really don't care that much about losing CL, but I am just over a year and a half from my god card. ;)

AHHHHHH

I thought I was the only one that had an occasional "mispel"

Loved it though, got a good chuckle

Thanks for not catching it.

Have a safe day.

I'll tell the Captain to save you a seat. Lol. I am told the Captain on Majesty lives just down the street but have never meet him.

Whilst I appreciate that it's a 'first world problem', if it's advertised as a benefit it should be provided. The reason Royal has a loyalty program is to keep people rebooking with them. If they don't deliver on their end of the bargain it certainly leaves a sour taste in one's mouth, reducing the likelihood of rebooking in future.

I agree Bekka. What's the point of the loyalty program if you don't get your perks once you reach a loyalty level? You spend all the money with a line and stay loyal to them, and then they remove the incentives once you reach the level. Not great business practice.

I agree Bekka. What's the point of the loyalty program if you don't get your perks once you reach a loyalty level? You spend all the money with a line and stay loyal to them, and then they remove the incentives once you reach the level. Not great business practice.

Where do you and Bekka see a promise of lifetime perks? Read the program guidelines. Your only true vote is to vote with your wallet. However, if you have cruised on RCCL so much to be concerned about your status, then they have you hooked. They can post that it is a benefit but take it away at anytime and it will no longer be posted as a benefit. I am sure IF RCCL reaches a level that they have too many in certain status, they will adjust, as I hope they would.

....except that most loyalty programs in other businesses are like that.

I once was a Platinum with Delta, now just a Million Miler.... I used to get all kinds of perks to fly with them. Once you got some status with them, you got some nice perks but they as do other airlines frequently change the program.

I talked to some of my flying friends just this week and they say he newest program is really bad. Almost impossible to get a upgrade much less a higher amount of miles to gain free access to the Crown Room. Free drinks are just about eliminated for most levels... but, they continue to fly Delta for many reasons....

Edited by troykahack

I'll tell the Captain to save you a seat. Lol. I am told the Captain on Majesty lives just down the street but have never meet him.

Didn't know about the captain, I did know the Hotel Director lives in New Smyrna and the part time Cruise Director lives in Orlando

Didn't know about the captain, I did know the Hotel Director lives in New Smyrna and the part time Cruise Director lives in Orlando

Family members who cruise almost every weekend on Majesty, told me he had a house in Ormond Beach. I was born in Miami but more or less raised in Titusville. A THS graduate. I forgot his name. Only cruised on MOS 5/27. Crew was the best EVER. Cabins were too small, we didn't have a suite on this cruise... NEVER again..

Most ship's captains don't save seats in the CL or DL or SL.....:rolleyes:

I have been seated at many Captain's dining tables, though....:p Sometimes it's your personality, rather than your suite money, that gets you there....:)(And, yes, I've travelled in insides, promenades, ocean views, junior suites, and grand suites.....over 21 years cruising, and had great cruises in all of them.) I do enjoy cruising, meeting people all over the ship, old, young, wealthy, or not, allowed access to concierge lounge or diamond lounge or first time cruisers...I'm there for having a fantastic cruise and sharing that experience with other like minded people......I have no time for complainers or braggers. Yes, I've cruised enough to have quite a few Diamond + points, and have enjoyed some of the perks associated with C&A, but I've also cruised five other cruise lines, and enjoyed them all, and met fun people on each one.

Hope you realize that many of us here on cruise critic have met on cruises(only met LaLa on cruise, but met John afterwards). We are experienced cruisers and have traveled world wide, so do have some insight and help along the way for others.

Edited by cruising grandma