I'm just bummed. And annoyed. And upset.

ilikecake

I've had new employees who had already planned a vacation - one even got married 2 weeks after her hire date. We either adjusted their start date back, or let them take the time unpaid or an advance on vacation time.

They always seemed so much more grateful and committed, and that worked for us both. As others have suggested, have him speak to the hiring manager, offering any of those solutions - while recognizing that the answer could be no.

Two cautions -- don't share too much information about how much the vacation cost. No reason to make the manager feel overly guilty if he has to say no because of a training session, etc.

Second, don't make a big deal about it in front of other employees (even though you are really grateful), so that he doesn't feel pressured to bend the rules for other employees. Other employees don't need to know whether your 'agreement' is to take unpaid time or a vacation advance.

Bottom line, don't make the manager regret it.

A while back, a new hire expected his sign-on bonus (remember those?) to be paid the first day he worked, and in the full amount. He actually expected the manager to have a check for $3,000 in his hand that day... and had spent every cent of the full $3k on a new TV, laptop and video game system. He had to ask the manager for an advance on his first paycheck to pay his RENT. How embarrassing!! When the bonus got paid in his first paycheck, it as only about $1800 after taxes. He brown-bagged lunch for about a month.

With ES, you can cancel with a $50 penalty/loss per person....the money you have paid in thus far can be transferred to another cruise at a later date. We have done this ourselves (we always book ES).

That December cruise you were talking about....maybe that is an option. Why don't you wait until he starts his new job, find out when it will be OK for him to take some vacation time off....then switch the booking?? That is a viable option, and one in which you could look forward to a "cruise" at a later date without losing too much $$$.....wishing you the best of luck!!

PS Call in to CCL and discuss your options for transferring to another date without alot of monetary loss!

Edited by buddylover

In my opinion you need to have your priorities set on your husband keeping that job. $100 is a small price to pay in that respect. IMHO, no one NEEDS a cruise. I would not ask for the time off if my situation was as precarious as yours is. Maybe plan a weekend away after he's been at the job for a few months and you know it will work out, and plan to cruise when he gets vacation time next year.

I have to agree with this opinion . You really need to delay this trip until you have more money.

I'm confused I booked a cruise for dad with ES and my pvp assured us he could change who he took (he is afaird him and his girlfriend will split up) :confused:

Unfortunately, no name changes. Tell dad to hold off on that breakup at least until they return from the cruise. :o

Here are the terms. It states that the deposit is non-transferable and no name changes are allowed.

http://m.carnival.com/cms/fun/specials/pay-per-day-2.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good luck and peace with your decision! It sure is a bummer to have to lose something to get something!

My two cents: Have DH ask...never hurts to ask.

And, for the record, I cruise with several friends every year, one of the groups cabin mates cancelled at the last minute. He didn't want his money back but Carnival wanted to charge her the single rate which wasn't in her budget. So, we did the no show. Carnival pages her before the ship sailed and she said "Oh, no, I can't believe he's not on the ship...yada, yada" and that was that. No extra charges.:D

I don't post much here, but need to vent among like-minded people.

The past few years have been rough for me and my family. Hubby lost his job and got desperate enough to take one making less money. Things were tight financially but we were able to get by. I've been a homeschooling mom for 20+ years so we're pretty much a one income family. I'm not in the best of health so it would be hard for me to go back to work, not justifying not working, just explaining. :)

And, my dad is ill and my mother passed away earlier this year.

Hubby and I booked a cruise for October and I decided not to get trip insurance. We decided that we NEEDED a vacation and we were NOT going to cancel. If a family member passed away, we would miss the funeral before we'd cancel. We were that certain. So, like a moron, I booked Early Saver with no insurance. :cool:

Meanwhile, hubby's job got more and more stressful to the point that he felt he had no choice but to look for another job. Well, yea, he got one! A job! Hurray, right? Right. But, his vacation benefits don't start accruing until after the cruise ends.

I considered doing the "He's not here? He was supposed to meet me here!" no-show thing but with my luck they'd change the policy, not let me board and call the police with a missing person's report :rolleyes:

He hasn't started the job yet. He starts the week before our final payment is due. They might be cool with him borrowing vacation time. They might be uptight and fire him for asking. Or, they might be cool but he doesn't want to risk them firing him for asking so he probably won't ask.

On top of everything else, we looked at a family cruise last December, it was tiny bit more than we wanted to pay (and my mom was very sick), we looked again but had some unexpected expenses...this is the 3rd time to have my hopes dashed, but only my first time to actually book and lose money.

I'm not here for advice, or a "you should have had insurance" lecture, but I do need to whine a little.

My husband is wonderful but he doesn't understand that I can be happy about his new job and sad about the canceled cruise at the same time.

Is it past final payment?

Unfortunately, no name changes. Tell dad to hold off on that breakup at least until they return from the cruise. :o

Here are the terms. It states that the deposit is non-transferable and no name changes are allowed.

http://m.carnival.com/cms/fun/specials/pay-per-day-2.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Per website:

THIS EARLY SAVER RATE INCLUDES

Price Protection

Choose your room

Disclaimer

All cancellations that occur prior to the final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit in US dollars in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. Future cruise credit must be used on a sailing within 24 months from the date of cancellation. Click here for complete terms and conditions.

My last cruise I ended up having a few days unpaid, as well as my husband because we didn't have enough vacation time. Our jobs were fine since we requested time way in advance. Since we knew so far ahead of time when we were going to be out, I just kind of pulled pennies here and there to cover for the week we wouldnt be paid.

Just FYI, I typically do early saver and have never bought trip insurance. I live in FL, near the ports, so I just can't justify it to myself to spend the extra to get it. Well, I did get it once, but that was because I was cruising in Dec with my mother who was flying in from Jersey. With unpredictable snow storms we knew it was risky to not get it. Anyway... sorry you're dealing with this, but maybe everything will work itself out.

OT... I'm a homeschool mom too!! :D

Personally, I would have him ask immediately about taking the time off... One, I know it will put you maybe in a slight financial bind because he would take it without pay but, you have to know, not everyone gets vacation time with their jobs. My husband is a trucker, it doesn't matter how many years he works, if his wheels are not rolling down the highway, we don't see a paycheck... Secondly, if they do deny him, due to just saying that they cannot give him the time off, maybe he would want to look for another company. I know plenty of companies, that I have worked for, that have given unpaid time off, when the employee was hired but then notified them of a family vacation that was paid for and planned out.

I know it is rough. I have been there sooo many times, I cannot count. Our first full family vacation was this year. It was the first time that we took a full week off in over 10 years and our first vacation somewhere in over 5 years... Sometimes you just need that break!

I'm a manager, and I've hired numerous people over the years.

I have on more than one occasion have a new hire indicate that they have a planned vacation in the same circumstances as your husband (eligibility for vacation doesn't start for 6 months) and ask for special consideration (while making it clear they will be fine with a response either way).

I've always been able to accommodate, and happily so. They aren't taking extra vacation, just accelerating.

I think your husband should feel free to ask, assuming it isn't a position where they will need to find someone else to fill a shift or do his work. If he does it the right way, making it clear a "no" is perfectly acceptable, there should be no issues.

Same here. Employers are often very understanding and will work with new staff to accommodate preexisting vacation plans whenever feasible.

Same here. Employers are often very understanding and will work with new staff to accommodate preexisting vacation plans whenever feasible.

I agree. My DS already had his wedding planned and his honeymoon booked when he was hired for his first job. He told them at the interview that he was getting married and would need time off. They gave him the job anyway.

He was only on the job for 3 weeks when he took off to get married. Not only did they give him the vacation time, but they threw him a shower and his fellow employees gave him some great gifts and the company gave him a nice monetary gift.

If there's any way you can manage to take that cruise, do it. Life is too short. Even if you travel with limited funds. The first cruise I took, my boyfriend (now my spouse) had a problem with his paycheck just before we sailed and had very limited funds. We had a ball. You just have to be creative and take advantage of anything the ship offers that's included in your fare. So you don't do the Steakhouse! There are plenty of folks who don't. Plan them for your next cruise.:)

I forgot to mention, since you're Early Saver have you checked for price drops? If you decide to cruise that's definitely something you should do. If you haven't made final payment yet that may help, and if so, you may receive OBC that will cover any expenses you incur. Good luck either way you decide to go!!:)

I feel for you. Times are tough. Only you husband knows if he can ask for time off without pay - without jeopardizing his new job. He if feels he can't ask, I would just cancel, eat the $100, and re-schedule when he has vacation time accrued. Good luck!

That's what we're going to do.

That is the way to do it...

Do not let people suggest asking. Even asking can doom the job at this point.

Leave well enough alone and book when you both can go on his vacation days....

I agree. My DS already had his wedding planned and his honeymoon booked when he was hired for his first job. He told them at the interview that he was getting married and would need time off. They gave him the job anyway.

He was only on the job for 3 weeks when he took off to get married. Not only did they give him the vacation time, but they threw him a shower and his fellow employees gave him some great gifts and the company gave him a nice monetary gift.

When was this. The job market of a decade ago is not the job market of today--particularly for someone who has been for all practical purposes out if their field for some time.

I know several people who, while they were being interviewed for a job, stated that XXXX was planned and either partially or fully paid for and they ALL not only got the job but were given the time off. This has been in the current and recent years. Yes, it depends on the company but it also could well depend on your attitude during the interview.

Edited by Swampbaby

Unless someone has desirable, in demand job skills which it doesn't sound like he does, a new employer has little patience for demands made by new hires.

Every employee I hired who immediately requested time off for a vacation especially after claiming how much they wanted this job or needed it, went right on my list of "has poor judgment skills" for extra watching.

...The job market of a decade ago is not the job market of today--particularly for someone who has been for all practical purposes out if their field for some time.

I agree. Even a decade ago, our new hires could only request vacation after all those with senority had scheduled theirs first. No two people from our dept. were allowed vacation at the same time so work didn't pile up.

I only schedule cruises that are far in advance if there is a refundable deposit, in case I take a new job between now and then.

Unless someone has desirable, in demand job skills which it doesn't sound like he does, a new employer has little patience for demands made by new hires.

Every employee I hired who immediately requested time off for a vacation especially after claiming how much they wanted this job or needed it, went right on my list of "has poor judgment skills" for extra watching.

I agree. If the gentleman is starting a job with a very large company they may not mind so much although they would be a little irritated. If its a small company they won't hire him. I've been in an employer and when you have a small business you depend on each of the employees to be there and do their job. It's actually quite difficult to even arrange for coverage of the vacation time the employee is due each year. In a small business the profit margin is so narrow that if any employee were not truly needed they would not be hired so as sympathetic to need for time off as an employer might be they will not be able to accept someone taking leave as soon as they start the job.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app