Cruise Personalizer warns of disease outbreak on my CB cruise?

star65

Hello,

I just logged into the Princess cruise personalizer and a warning came up stating that I will be traveling to an area on my 11/1 CB cruise that has an outbreak of disease due to mosquitos and to bring deet products. I know that mosquitos can give you nasty things but I'm wondering what is going on out of the norm for them to give this warning, kind of has me unnerved, especially with the crazy ebola stuff going on. I googled recent outbreaks in either the Bahamas or Grand Turk, the 2 stops of this cruise and nothing has come up. Does anyone have any insight?

Thank you.

Ding Ding, we have a winner. Per the CDC website for the Caribbean:

What is the current situation?

In December 2013, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported local transmission of chikungunya in Saint Martin. Local transmission means that mosquitoes in the area have been infected with chikungunya and are spreading it to people. This is the first time that local transmission of chikungunya has been reported in the Americas.

Local transmission of chikungunya is now being reported in other countries in the Caribbean.

Both the Bahamas, and Turks and Caicos (Grand Turk) are included on that list.

Hello,

of this cruise and nothing has come up. Does anyone have any insight?

Chikungaya and Dengue Fever depending upon the islands you're visiting.

Mosquitoes love me. So, I'm a bit concerned about our trip in March.

Chikungaya and Dengue Fever depending upon the islands you're visiting.

Mosquitoes love me. So, I'm a bit concerned about our trip in March.

Like I said, Bens, it's 100% DEET. Wouldn't put it on the kiddies, but it keeps everything including Maine black flies away with about 3 drops.

Dengue or "breakbone" fever isn't fun. You feel like your joints are grinding themselves apart.

Edited by chengkp75

Our friends just returned from a holiday in Grenada and said that up to 70% of the people on the island have been infected with it. It is rampant through out the Caribbean and in Florida as well. Last year on our stop in St Maarten we were warned but it has spread rapidly. Take your repellant!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had the same warning for the 2 Caribbean cruises I did in August, and got it again for the South America cruise I will be on in January, as part of the cruise will be Caribbean ports.

I took and used a spray containing Picardin in August, and had no problems.

I have read that DEET concentrations over 50% are NOT recommended, and do not offer any extra protection.

The Dengue Fever was also listed a few years ago for Princess Cays. The alert came right as we had to make final payment for a January cruise. I was going with my mom who had health issues. I decided against it. The next time we were at her doctor's I asked him and he said he would have told us to go and that the chances were very slim.

Our friends just returned from a holiday in Grenada and said that up to 70% of the people on the island have been infected with it. It is rampant through out the Caribbean and in Florida as well. Last year on our stop in St Maarten we were warned but it has spread rapidly. Take your repellant!

I think to say its rampant in Florida is both incorrect and alarmist. Check with the CDC site.

I think to say its rampant in Florida is both incorrect and alarmist. Check with the CDC site.

You've been around long enough to know that "incorrect and alarmist" characterizes most of the epidemiological discussion on these boards . . . not to mention discussions of geopolitical events impacting travel, changes to loyalty programs, and the quality of the coffee onboard.

You've been around long enough to know that "incorrect and alarmist" characterizes most of the epidemiological discussion on these boards . . . not to mention discussions of geopolitical events impacting travel, changes to loyalty programs, and the quality of the coffee onboard.

I wonder what the CDC has to say about that.

I live in South Florida, and not only is it not rampant, it isn't a problem here AT ALL.

Spray your clothes and hat instead of your skin. For the areas not covered by clothes, you may find you may need to lightly wipe your skin with repellent.

Another hint: Research has found that for whatever reason, mosquitos will bite someone with blood type O more often than other blood types.

In my case I have A type; my husband is an O. I stand next to him.:D

I saw the same warning on my personalizer last night. I've heard that taking vitamin B1 repels mosquitoes; mosquitoes come out at dawn and dusk (but I've been bitten during the mid-day as I'm sure we all have). I haven't read any outbreaks about this virus so I'm thinking it is not a major problem. I plan on taking one of those devices you clip to your waist or wrist just in case.

I saw the same warning on my personalizer last night. I've heard that taking vitamin B1 repels mosquitoes; mosquitoes come out at dawn and dusk (but I've been bitten during the mid-day as I'm sure we all have). I haven't read any outbreaks about this virus so I'm thinking it is not a major problem. I plan on taking one of those devices you clip to your waist or wrist just in case.

The mosquitoes that cause Chikungunya are out primarily during the day. I encourage all to read the correct info and take appropriate precautions. Here is the CDC fact sheet.

http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/pdfs/CHIKV_FACTSHEET_CDC_Generalpublic(09-17-2014).pdf

Those devices that clip to your wrist or clothes only work well if you are standing still. If you move, you move out of the effective small area and will need time for enough repellent to release again to make a buffer zone.

I'm just not familiar with these.