Disney is going to Martinique, what about Carnival

Tampa Bay Irish

My family and I are Carnival loyalists (but not the dreaded cheerleaders). I just read on Yahoo that Disney is going to call on Martinique. It sure would be nice if Carnival made a regular call on Martinique. Carnival needs new ports in the Caribbean. We pick our cruises based on where the ship is going and not on the ship itself. A little more variety would be greatly appreciated. How soon before the antiquated embargo is over with Cuba? If the U.S. lifted the embargo with Cuba, the Castro brothers would be out of power in a couple of years. As Gorbachev found out the hard way, you can't give oppressed people a little freedom, they always want more.

I'd like to see some new ports too. If they put another ship in San Juan to do more "exotic" locations, or did their usual southern route (what the Valor does now) one week and switched to something else the week after, they could go to other places.

With all of the cruise line industry options and with you cruising solely for the destinations, rather than the ships....then, why on earth do you just stick with Carnival?:confused:

I have never understood this. SOOOOO many options out there. :eek:

Leaving early Friday morning for another repositioning cruise out of San Juan.

Last November, it was Conquest, 8 nights, that called at St Kitts, Dominica, St Marten (new for me), Antigua, and Grand Turk.

This time it's Splendor. Again, 8 nights San Juan to Miami, and calls at St Croix, Grenada, Martinique, Dominica, and Grand Turk. The first three ports are all new-to me.

The repo cruises are great for getting ports that Carnival normally doesn't visit.

I love Dominica and was crushed when they stopped going there regularly.

Lots and lots of complaints in the roll call, though, about finding independent excursions in Martinique. Because, you know, they speak French there. People were upset that they weren't getting replies to their English emails. :rolleyes:

I can't wait. Ended up booking a ship excursion, which I rarely do, just so we could pay with a credit card, in USD, and not have to worry about the language barrier and buying Euros. I am hoping to get in a little practice using my limited French, though!

I also sail mainly for the ports. I have Carnival cruise #22 booked, and once I reach my Milestone, I'm branching out to HAL and Celebrity even though I mostly sail solo and I'm not independently wealthy! :o

Leaving early Friday morning for another repositioning cruise out of San Juan.

Last November, it was Conquest, 8 nights, that called at St Kitts, Dominica, St Marten (new for me), Antigua, and Grand Turk.

This time it's Splendor. Again, 8 nights San Juan to Miami, and calls at St Croix, Grenada, Martinique, Dominica, and Grand Turk. The first three ports are all new-to me.

The repo cruises are great for getting ports that Carnival normally doesn't visit.

I love Dominica and was crushed when they stopped going there regularly.

Lots and lots of complaints in the roll call, though, about finding independent excursions in Martinique. Because, you know, they speak French there. People were upset that they weren't getting replies to their English emails. :rolleyes:

I can't wait. Ended up booking a ship excursion, which I rarely do, just so we could pay with a credit card, in USD, and not have to worry about the language barrier and buying Euros. I am hoping to get in a little practice using my limited French, though!

I also sail mainly for the ports. I have Carnival cruise #22 booked, and once I reach my Milestone, I'm branching out to HAL and Celebrity even though I mostly sail solo and I'm not independently wealthy! :o

Very nice itinerary! Would love to hear about it when you return.

Back when I started cruising in the early 90's, I was on the Festivale. Back then, in 1990, it went to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Martinique and Barbados. The following year, on my honeymoon, I did the Festivale again, only this time, they'd added Dominica. I admit that it was VERY early in the cruising boom, and they had JUST started going to Dominica (I think) a few weeks before we went there, but it was just horrible. My memory of that island is NOT GOOD. Also, on the first cruise, in Martinique the people at our table were robbed at gunpoint on the street.

I can't say that either would be on the top of my list, even today, simply because of those memories.

Does anyone else have those types of experiences, where you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that things have improved dramatically, you still have no interest in going?

Back when I started cruising in the early 90's, I was on the Festivale. Back then, in 1990, it went to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Martinique and Barbados. The following year, on my honeymoon, I did the Festivale again, only this time, they'd added Dominica. I admit that it was VERY early in the cruising boom, and they had JUST started going to Dominica (I think) a few weeks before we went there, but it was just horrible. My memory of that island is NOT GOOD. Also, on the first cruise, in Martinique the people at our table were robbed at gunpoint on the street.

I can't say that either would be on the top of my list, even today, simply because of those memories.

Does anyone else have those types of experiences, where you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that things have improved dramatically, you still have no interest in going?

We were also on Festivale on our honeymoon (1992), same itinerary out of San Juan (St. Thomas; St. Maarten; Dominica; Barbados; Martinique). I remember Dominica being a very short day, 7AM - 1PM I think. It was our first cruise and we were very inexperienced and had no excursion booked. Being on our honeymoon, we were on a pretty tight budget. We got off the ship in Dominica and were just going to walk around the port but our table mates (family of 4) called over to us from a van. They had gotten a driver to take them and another couple up to Trafalgar Falls/Emerald Pool and could get him down to $5.00, per person, if they got two more people. We jumped on that offer and went with them. Our driver took us to the same spots the ship's excursion would have gone, but it was much less crowded and very scenic. Turned out to be a wonderful day for us. Martinique was the other that we had no plans since some of the nicer ship's excursions were out of our price range. I think we wandered around the port for a while and found out about a ferry that could take us to the beach for $3.00 per person. From memory, they took USD. I was kind of disappointed since the beach was more of a roped off lagoon. It was pretty but nothing spectacular. I do remember Martinique being very pretty but we had friends stopping there last November on another cruise line and they said it was pretty but their least favorite - not much to do, and they got the impression the people of Martinique weren't too happy about American tourists. I'd love to go back though, just to see more of the island.

Love the idea with Carnival getting a second ship in San Juan for another itinerary or even have one ship alternate itineraries from one week to another with stops on some different islands. We were on Valor in May 2013 and that is definitely our favorite itinerary and would love more options.

Very nice itinerary! Would love to hear about it when you return.

I always write a full review. :D

Dominica is probably my favorite island yet. I love that it isn't overly developed. My idea of a "good" day in port does NOT involve hanging out at a commercial/chain bar/restaurant and buying cheap tourist t-shirts.

It is an incredibly beautiful island. The tour vendor I use (Levi Baron of Bumpiing Tours) is great. I've done the same tour twice (yes, it was "that" good), so this time, I'm going to the Carib Indian village.

For those of you who haven't been there but have seen the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, much of the 2nd movie was filmed on Dominica. There's the scene where Orlando Bloom and cohorts are inside a round bone cage, running down a hill to escape the natives. They drop down into a gorge where the cage breaks and they swim over to the side.

This is where you go - to that exact spot - when you visit Titou Gorge. Google it and look at the photos. It's fabulous.

I can't wait to return.

But, yes, I'm looking forward to Martinique. Unlike so many Americans, I don't hate everything French. In fact, I rather like the French, and France, and French islands. I spent a month in France about 20 years ago and I loved everything about it.

Il est merveilleux! I think! :p

Wow! My first cruise was on the Festivale (her final sailing before going to a South American company) and was actually fascinated by Dominica, as it was just 'opened' to cruising. Unspoilt and beautiful, (the only place I've ever seen a cashew nut growing). I chose this cruise because of docking in Martinique and it did not disappoint. We hired a taxi and drove in the rain forest and toured the island. I loved it!!

So, Martinque has been in the Carnival line up for many many years!

Dominica is probably my favorite island yet. I love that it isn't overly developed. My idea of a "good" day in port does NOT involve hanging out at a commercial/chain bar/restaurant and buying cheap tourist t-shirts.

It is an incredibly beautiful island. The tour vendor I use (Levi Baron of Bumpiing Tours) is great. I've done the same tour twice (yes, it was "that" good), so this time, I'm going to the Carib Indian village.

For those of you who haven't been there but have seen the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, much of the 2nd movie was filmed on Dominica. There's the scene where Orlando Bloom and cohorts are inside a round bone cage, running down a hill to escape the natives. They drop down into a gorge where the cage breaks and they swim over to the side.

This is where you go - to that exact spot - when you visit Titou Gorge. Google it and look at the photos. It's fabulous.

I can't wait to return.

But, yes, I'm looking forward to Martinique. Unlike so many Americans, I don't hate everything French. In fact, I rather like the French, and France, and French islands. I spent a month in France about 20 years ago and I loved everything about it.

I visited that Gorge with the icy cold water in 2006 on the Destiny. Went to sit in hot sulpher spring pools afterwards. Excellent day.

I'll second your observation that many current cruisers will want a safe enclosed shopping area with a large branded bar where everyone speaks English and uses American Dollars. Sigh.

That's funny...as long as Google Translate has been around, it is not difficult to create an email communication in one's non-native tongue.

We have been to Martinique twice back when ships used to go there regularly. Every one complained about the island that is why the cruise ships stopped going there. It stunk like pee and the people were very rude. It is a French island. I would not get off the ship if it stopped there.

With all of the cruise line industry options and with you cruising solely for the destinations, rather than the ships....then, why on earth do you just stick with Carnival?:confused:

I have never understood this. SOOOOO many options out there. :eek:

I understand the OP...CCL offers a nice ship at a more affordable price and the OP would like to go to some more exotic ports and stay with CCL....

BUT, I understand what you are saying, Champagne123, too. We have done just what you said. Since we want some more exotic and different ports than offered by CCL, and that is what is most important to us, we have definitely switched it up and tried other cruise lines. In fact we are going to Martinique in January and chose that cruise simply because both Grenada and Martinique were on the itinerary. In order to get to these ports we jumped lines!!

I too, have cruised to Martinique aboard Carnival ships "back in the day". As I recall, most folks found the island to be very nice, but the people,,,not so much. :rolleyes: I haven't missed going there, as there are so many other GREAT islands, with FANTASTIC natives in the Caribbean.

"SKY"

We have been to Martinique twice back when ships used to go there regularly. Every one complained about the island that is why the cruise ships stopped going there. It stunk like pee and the people were very rude. It is a French island. I would not get off the ship if it stopped there.

See?

And during my month in France, I cannot tell you how many times I saw Americans walk up to someone and ask "DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH" (yes, in a loud voice because you do realize that people will understand a foreign language if you bellow at them, right?).

No "bonjour!" No "parlez-vous anglais?"

Because the entire world should speak OUR language. Never mind that we're in THEIR country and can't even be bothered to learn the most basic of phrases.

What I found was that if you made any attempt at all to communicate in THEIR language, they would switch to English and try to help.

And if I lived in France or a French island, I would find no reason to be polite to the rude American tourists, either.

Seriously, how would you feel if someone walked up to you on the street in your city/town and asked you in, say, Mandarin, whether you spoke Mandarin?

Really, people. They aren't the ones who are being rude. ;)

We were also on Festivale on our honeymoon (1992), same itinerary out of San Juan (St. Thomas; St. Maarten; Dominica; Barbados; Martinique). I remember Dominica being a very short day, 7AM - 1PM I think. It was our first cruise and we were very inexperienced and had no excursion booked. Being on our honeymoon, we were on a pretty tight budget. We got off the ship in Dominica and were just going to walk around the port but our table mates (family of 4) called over to us from a van. They had gotten a driver to take them and another couple up to Trafalgar Falls/Emerald Pool and could get him down to $5.00, per person, if they got two more people. We jumped on that offer and went with them. Our driver took us to the same spots the ship's excursion would have gone, but it was much less crowded and very scenic. Turned out to be a wonderful day for us. Martinique was the other that we had no plans since some of the nicer ship's excursions were out of our price range. I think we wandered around the port for a while and found out about a ferry that could take us to the beach for $3.00 per person. From memory, they took USD. I was kind of disappointed since the beach was more of a roped off lagoon. It was pretty but nothing spectacular. I do remember Martinique being very pretty but we had friends stopping there last November on another cruise line and they said it was pretty but their least favorite - not much to do, and they got the impression the people of Martinique weren't too happy about American tourists. I'd love to go back though, just to see more of the island.

Love the idea with Carnival getting a second ship in San Juan for another itinerary or even have one ship alternate itineraries from one week to another with stops on some different islands. We were on Valor in May 2013 and that is definitely our favorite itinerary and would love more options.

Our honeymoon was also this exact cruise on the Festivale in June of 1994. In fact they used to print a little newspaper for the ship and one of the stories was about a low speed car chase in Los Angeles involving OJ Simpson. We were totally out of the loop no computers or real news on the ships back then. I still remeber we were seated in the dining room with a table of 8 and we were all honeymooners that had been married the day before. After twenty years I still remember all of them and wonder how many are still together.

We loved Dominica and Martinque they were both beautiful volcanic rainforest islands.

Edited by rferr

We did this the last time we were there. (Victory 2010 review) It was a great day and very interesting.

I can't wait to return.

We visited Martinique on our first cruise.... on the Celebrity Horizon. Got off the ship and did a snorkeling excursion that met us right in front of the ship.... went across the harbor and fell in love with snorkeling. Then we toured the island in a taxi and it was very beautiful. The only down side was walking around the city not being able to communicate... but that was entirely our fault not theirs. I would like to go back there someday.

Our honeymoon was also this exact cruise on the Festivale in June of 1994. In fact they used to print a little newspaper for the ship and one of the stories was about a low speed car chase in Los Angeles involving OJ Simpson. We were totally out of the loop no computers or real news on the ships back then. I still remeber we were seated in the dining room with a table of 8 and we were all honeymooners that had been married the day before. After twenty years I still remember all of them and wonder how many are still together.

We loved Dominica and Martinque they were both beautiful volcanic rainforest islands.

Our anniversary dates must be pretty close because the OJ low speed chase through LA in the white bronco was just a few days after our anniversary. When we were on Festivale, I can't remember the newspaper but I wasn't looking for it...that would be DH. I don't think anything major or exciting happened that week. I still remember the family that we were seated with during our dinners. They were a family of four (two daughters) from Miami, very nice, and I also think about them. The girls are now in their 30's and older than I was then. There were other honeymooners on our cruise but I don't know how many. We were on a tour with one couple and they said they talked to another couple the day before...all of us married on the day before the cruise too. We actually had a couple that got married on the ship. I hope they're still together but who knows these days. I'd love a chance to get back to both Dominica and Martinique, regardless of the recent experience our friends had and not liking it. I'd just be sure to do an island tour to see more of it because what we were able to see, it was beautiful. I still say Carnival needs a second ship based in San Juan to do a similar but different itinerary to some of other southern Caribbean islands.