Strange ship in Nassau

centurycruiser

We just got off the Enchantment today and when we were in Nassau on Jan 21 there was a strange looking ship docked at the pier. It appeared to be about 10 decks (or so) high and didn't have any balconies or even many port holes. Not sure if it was a cruise ship but it was a strange place for a container ship to dock.

When we got back to port it was dark and difficult to read the name. I thought I could find out from some of the websites that list ships in ports but I didn't see anything.

Anyone know what it was?

Because of the outside it seemed to be a cargo ship, but, it was high like a cruise ship and it would be a strange place for a cargo ship to dock. Most cargo ships I've seen are low and open. This was high and enclosed.

But, without balconies and port holes it also didn't look like any cruise ship I've ever seen.

Some of the modern car transporters would fit "high and enclosed".

Example: http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/adria-ace/images/3-adria-ace-car-carrier.jpg

It did look more like that on the sides but then it also had a superstructure above. But, again it was on the last passenger pier. Not a place to unload cars. But, I didn't stay up all night to watch.

Go on Celebration cruises and see if that was it. It is a converted car transport.

No longer exists, it sunk about 2 months ago on a reef outside of Freeport. Currently being sold for scrap metal.

Edited by rolloman

A bit off subject..but...when we were recently in Aruba we saw a very creepy looking cruise ship...it was the Freewinds...turns out it's a very controversial ship owned by Scientology :eek:.

I wouldn't call it creepy, just different. :D We were docked next to the Freewind in Bonaire and Grenada. It didn't look like a very fun cruise, the kids were doing drills and exercises all day, everyone dressed in blue coveralls. :)

I wouldn't call it creepy, just different. :D We were docked next to the Freewind in Bonaire and Grenada. It didn't look like a very fun cruise, the kids were doing drills and exercises all day, everyone dressed in blue coveralls. :)

After reading a bit about it when I returned home...and a recent story about a girl/woman that was held basically captive on it for 10 years...creepy...yes :eek:

No longer exists, it sunk about 2 months ago on a reef outside of Freeport. Currently being sold for scrap metal.

The company has purchased a replacement ship (the Grand Celebration) and recreated itself as Bahamas Celebration cruises. Not sure when it will start sailing again.

centurycruiser - a couple times that we have been docked in Nassau, there was a ship like you described - not sure if it was the same one - but just a very "odd" looking ship... it was painted blue and I never could see a name on it anywhere. No balconies or that many portholes. Anyway... someone said that this ship does a one or two night cruise to Nassau from FL really cheap and it's popular with FL residents who want to go over to Nassau for a day/night.

It was really strange and creepy looking though. :eek:

A bit off subject..but...when we were recently in Aruba we saw a very creepy looking cruise ship...it was the Freewinds...turns out it's a very controversial ship owned by Scientology :eek:.

We saw that too! Haha! Our dining room server told us all about it! And then our taxi driver did too. Seems to have a reputation. :rolleyes:

Scientology brainwashing cruise .. . Scientologist parents actually send their poor children away for months of "training" on it. They do adults too ..

But its not a cult, or anything, right ? :rolleyes:

Wait .... what ?? :eek: How did I miss that ????

I didn't see/hear it in the news or on here ... holy cow!

Wait .... what ?? :eek: How did I miss that ????

I didn't see/hear it in the news or on here ... holy cow!

Because it didn't sink. It limped back to Freeport listing at 10 degrees, and all the passengers were safely disembarked and returned to Palm Beach. When they examined the hole in the hull, they decided not to fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by orville99

The company has purchased a replacement ship (the Grand Celebration) and recreated itself as Bahamas Celebration cruises. Not sure when it will start sailing again.

Interesting its a former Carnival ship they're replacing it with. .. they just painted over the famous whale tail ... but still no doubt who her prior owner was .. good sized jump in size from the one that she;s replacing (which was a really ugly ungainly looking ship).

Actually is it called Bahamas Paradise Cruiseline. They are making it clear they have nothing to do with Bahamas Celebration Cruise line and the fact they are a new company. Even Cruise critic removed the now defunct Celebration from the message boards along with all previous posts.

It is supposed to start sailing the the first week of February.

Edited by rolloman