Bus Strike in Bermuda

FIRELT5

The driver who failed to engage the hand brake on the bus, is refusing to take a drug test, and they are not allowing her back to work. A passenger had their hand injured as a result.

If the driver tests negative for drugs, she is allowed back to work. If she tests positive for drugs, she has to attend a drug program and then she would be allowed to return to work. Either way, she wouldn't lose her job.

I guess drug testing isn't as widespread as I thought it was. That seems like a normal course of action for ANY transportation company that deals with the public.

I hope they settle this quickly, but then again, I hope they don't back down on requiring drug tests.

Update 6:40pm: CruiseCritic, a very popular U.S website for vacationers, has already picked up the bus strike story, linking this article with a title ‘Bus Strike in Bermuda.’ :D

Social media at it's best.

I guess you will have about 8K people stuck (gem & Summit) at the dock yard. Ferry,s

Can only handle a certain amount. :(

Wow, I can't believe she has refused to give a drug test after they have tried that many times...and she was suspended WITH pay in the beginning? Obviously she has something to hide by not cooperating with them.

I don't know how things work in Bermuda, but at the jobs I've worked at (which don't even involved hauling passengers around but only visiting them) makes you get a drug test ASAP and if you don't...you are fired. Period!

I don't know what the economy is like in Bermuda either, but for all the bus drivers to strike because of this driver...how do they plan on putting food on their table and paying their bills? It doesn't sound like the driver is going to budge at all. If the economy is going downhill like it is here in the US, I'm sure there are plenty of people waiting in line to fill the jobs. It's a shame.

For the cruise ships that are there...aren't their taxis in Bermuda? I mean people don't have to take the bus do they? (and I'm just talking about vacationers, not all of the families that are being affected because they live there and can't get to work). :(

Wow, I can't believe she has refused to give a drug test after they have tried that many times...and she was suspended WITH pay in the beginning? Obviously she has something to hide by not cooperating with them.

I don't know how things work in Bermuda, but at the jobs I've worked at (which don't even involved hauling passengers around but only visiting them) makes you get a drug test ASAP and if you don't...you are fired. Period!

I don't know what the economy is like in Bermuda either, but for all the bus drivers to strike because of this driver...how do they plan on putting food on their table and paying their bills? It doesn't sound like the driver is going to budge at all. If the economy is going downhill like it is here in the US, I'm sure there are plenty of people waiting in line to fill the jobs. It's a shame.

For the cruise ships that are there...aren't their taxis in Bermuda? I mean people don't have to take the bus do they? (and I'm just talking about vacationers, not all of the families that are being affected because they live there and can't get to work). :(

Not enough of taxis for the folks at the Dock YARD. It's also about a 45 min drive to the South Shore Beaches from the Dock Yard. Between Passengers and crew on the NCL Gem and X Summit you have around 8K stuck out at that location. At least you have Snorkle Park :)

Not enough of taxis for the folks at the Dock YARD. It's also about a 45 min drive to the South Shore Beaches from the Dock Yard. Between Passengers and crew on the NCL Gem and X Summit you have around 8K stuck out at that location. At least you have Snorkle Park :)

Oh wow. That sucks. We are planning a trip to Bermuda for our cruise next year. So do the bus lines run by the port and is that how most get transportation to the various beaches in Bermuda? I'm clueless about this port, but will be researching it as soon as we return from our cruise next month.

FIRELT5 wrote: ....It's also about a 45 min drive to the South Shore Beaches from the Dock Yard.....

according to the bus schedule for a route #7 bus, the travel time by bus to the Sonesta Beach is 33 minutes and Elbow Beach 48 minutes. Horseshoe Bay is closer to Sonesta Beach so travel time would be about 35 minutes; Warwick Bay Beach, about 37 minutes. If the travel were to be by taxi, I would estimate the travel time to HSB to be about 22-25 minutes.

This really doesn't impact the situation at all. Without buses, you're SOL.

SBtS

Could (would) the cruise line use their life boats to ferry folks to Hamilton and or St. George ???

Great idea!

Sounds like a plan, don't they do it for tendering into ports?

I doubt they could use the ship's life boats, because the ferry docks in Bermuda aren't designed to accommodate that type of boat. It might be difficult for passengers to safely and easily get on and off the tenders. Besides, there's no indication that the ferries in Bermuda are affected by the bus strike, and using ship's tenders doesn't solve the transportation problem to the main place people use the bus to get to...the beach.

Would the bus strike be an opportunity for the cruise lines to sell more of their own tours, which would provide private vans & busses for the passengers. Or, are the drivers of private busses part of the strike, as well?

Not many private buses in Bermuda. Ship's tours often use chartered public buses and the public bus drivers.

I feel bad for the Gem passengers that arrived in this mess yesterday.

I am leaving next Friday on the Dawn and I hope this mess is cleared up.

The longer this lasts, the bigger the black eye for the Bermuda tourism industry.

We had a Bermuda cruise booked on the Dawn for first week in Sept. We cancelled it before final payment was due based on the last labor/transportation issue in Bermuda. Although that was resolved...maybe, looks like the current issue would have possibly caught us. My wife's knees are in terrible shape and we must have assurances that public transportion would be available befoe we rebook Bermuda. The island residents dont' seem too thrilled with either the government or union issues they frequently must deal with.

What's the deal? I'd sure like to know where I could find a job where if I decide to indiscriminately ignore those company policies that I might not happen to agree with, and get fired, then all my co-workers will rally to my support and go on strike.

What a crazy world of entitlement these folks seem to live in.

Theron

Oh wow. That sucks. We are planning a trip to Bermuda for our cruise next year. So do the bus lines run by the port and is that how most get transportation to the various beaches in Bermuda? I'm clueless about this port, but will be researching it as soon as we return from our cruise next month.

If your trip isn't until next year, you probably don't need to worry about it now ;)

Live Blogging: Bus Strike Day #1

This morning [Aug.18] Bermuda commuters are dealing with buses being off the road, following a strike by bus operators which was called late yesterday afternoon. The strike was predicated by the Ministry firing a bus driver who refused to take a drug test five times after being involved in an accident.

Update 9:40am: Bus drivers are meeting at the BIU headquarters, many in uniform some in civilian clothing. Unofficial reports indicate that some drivers are not in support of the strike, and fully prepared to go back to work. Bernews has been made to understand that some bus operators wanted to drive their routes this morning, however were stopped from doing so by others.

[/url]

Update 10:00am: The meeting has broken up, and bus drivers are expected back again at 1pm. BIU President Chris Furbert is returning to the island today, and is expected to attend the meeting.

Update 10:19am: A Facebook event has been posted calling for a rally against the bus drivers strike from 12:30pm – 2:30pm today [Aug.18] at City Hall.

http://bernews.com/2011/08/live-blogging-bus-strike-day-1/#comment-66934

Alot more people can rent mopeds and feel safer on the road from the buses.. (NOT) come on buses get back on the road, there making the water ways unsafe with to many passengers and boaters who don't normally take those routes.

If your trip isn't until next year, you probably don't need to worry about it now ;)

Not saying that I'm worried about the bus strike when I go. I was asking what ways do you get around in Bermuda and if it's normal to take the bus to different beaches versus a cab. All the islands I've been to, we take cabs.

Update 12:15pm: A few Bernews readers are reporting seeing bus drivers out in uniform using their private cars to pick up people.

Update 12:30pm: Demco said they have handed out just over 100 of the pink/blue ribbons that are being flown by people who are stepping up to assist transport people.

The power of the private people :D

Motorist rally AGAINST bus strike. There is a facebook page where the private drivers are listing their phone numbers - volunteering themselves to drive people.

http://bermudasun.bm/main.asp?SectionID=24&SubSectionID=270&ArticleID=53729

I'll be in Bermuda again in October and I have never seen people come together like the people of Bermuda.

Archived