Free champagne on boarding??

mamasue

I thought I read somewhere that you get free champagne on boarding on Celebrity....like you used to on NCL.

Does this still apply.... can any recent Celebrity cruisers tell me??

They offer you a glass when you board. It's made in the Engine Room shortly before you board. At least, that's what it tastes like.

They offer you a glass when you board. It's made in the Engine Room shortly before you board. At least, that's what it tastes like.

Those of us from West Virginia who don't know any different appreciate the gesture Celebrity Cruises makes in their Welcome Aboard champagne and OJ offerings. And it tastes OK to me... ;)

I'm from Fl and I just can't believe they dont serve Dom Perignon, but I go ahead and force myself to drink the free sparkly (but then complain about it).

Den

hahahahahhaha

Our family actually did a taste test with Dom, Korbel, Andre, and one other that I can't remember. The Korbel won and the Dom came in last.:eek:

Not only champagne upon first boarding, but cold water and punch along with with cool towels, when returning from a day ashore on hot days, and hot chocolate on cool days. We even enjoyed hot chocolate and hot mulled wine on the Constellation's helipad when departing from Stockholm last August. It was breezy and cold and I had to taste at least three glasses of the wine to make sure it was good to drink :D

Edited by boogs

Also, when getting back on the Millenium at our final port, we were offered I believe sparkling wine and I think rum punch along with the ice water and regular punch and cold towels. It made for a nice ending to the cruise.

Celebrity really knows how to treat you!!

Kelly

Champagne is the sparkling wine made in Champagne, France. They have a patent for this name. Anything else is sparkling wine. Champagne is always made the traditional way - my English is not good enough to explain, so here is a link:

http://mumulesvignes.com/2009/12/02/how-to-make-champagne-the-traditional-method/

I can also recommend Cremant - that is a sparkling wine from France, too. So if it is not Champagne, it can also be a sparkling wine produced the traditional way and can be the same taste as Champagne which is about the fine pearls of sparkling, or mousse. And it can therefore be a good quality.

So I will appreciate my first glass of Champagne or sparkling wine on our first cruise with the Eclipse. :-)

The Celebrity Brut is a sparkling wine, made with a "methode Champenoise" but is not champagne. As a "Cremant de Loire", a sparkling wine made in the Loire region in France, it is not as bad as some people here claim, and is certainly drinkeable although unmemorable. (what do you excpect?!)

it certainly is a very nice gesture and unique in the mainstream cruise industry. It gives a VERY good first impression (just like a welcome drink in a hotel at check-in).

Other times where the Celebrity Brut is served are: before the Captains Welcome speach in the main show-lounge, at the galley tour and Captain's Club celebrations.

...it certainly is a very nice gesture and unique in the mainstream cruise industry. It gives a VERY good first impression...

To me there is nothing like the excitement of walking up the boarding ramp of your ship, and as you step out of the bright sunlight into the ships beautiful foyer, the gratiousness of being offered a nice cool drink of bubbly by a member of the ships staff clad in white gloves. It has a touch of class that as you said is unique among the mass market cruise lines.

I'm from Fl and I just can't believe they dont serve Dom Perignon, but I go ahead and force myself to drink the free sparkly (but then complain about it).

Den

Den, you always make me smile with your witty posts. For the record I can't stand champagne but like you I force it down because it's free. If I ever get to taste Dom Perignon I'll let you know how it compares.

To me there is nothing like the excitement of walking up the boarding ramp of your ship, and as you step out of the bright sunlight into the ships beautiful foyer, the gratiousness of being offered a nice cool drink of bubbly by a member of the ships staff clad in white gloves. It has a touch of class that as you said is unique among the mass market cruise lines.

You said it perfectly:)

Just returned from the Silhouette Sept 15th cruise. We truly enjoyed the mimosa at embarkation (sure made you feel special), and as hot as we were after long days at shore the cold towels and cold drinks were a nice touch when we returned to the ship. Each time we were made to feel special and truly felt "welcomed home" when we were greeted by ship's crew.

So I will appreciate my first glass of Champagne or sparkling wine on our first cruise with the Eclipse. :-)

Agree with Black Forest except the Silly rather than the Eclipse.

I have tasted Dom and didn't care for it, a little too dry for my taste. Much prefer Perrier Le Fleur (?spelling?) I'm certainly not an aficionado of wine, sparkly or otherwise however.

The really good champagne is found going to the Champagne region yourself, visiting the caves and champagnemakers... We have found a tru gem of a Blanc de blancs Champagne ( 100% Chardonnay) which is comparable in nose, body and aftertaste with overpriced houses like Dom Perignon, only for 1/3 of the price;)

By the way, On the other side of the Channel, near the White cliffs of Dover are some of the best Sparkling wine makers in the World. Yes, in the UK!! The soil of the Champagne region is exactly the same as near Dover (it is the same layer actually), climate is similar (even a bit sunnier in the UK!).