Transportation from Houston Hobby to Galveston Port

beezercatz

Just did some checking on this a couple of weeks ago for our son who is on the Crown this Sat.....

Transfers are $34 pp on Princess.

Limos can run $150-$200. (checked with 4 different limo companies).

Its approx 50 miles so I think a cab is out of the question.

Did not check on Super Shuttle type companies.

We don't normaly do Princess transfers but this would be a case where we would.

We are sailing out of Galveston on Feb. 16 on the Crown Princess and are wondering about the price of transportation from Houston Hobby Airport to the port at Galveston? Is it cheaper than a local shuttle?

I recently went from Galveston to HOU & the Princess transportation was $34/pp but we got a group from our roll call to share a SuperShuttle van. We had only 6 per van (maximum 10) which was $22/pp but it might not be a good option for getting to the ship. You could check the SuperShuttle website to get the per person price for a shared van to the cruise ship.

Taxis are not out of the question, especially if there are 4 of you without a ton of luggage or in a van. That way, the cost is reasonable.

We've rented a limo from IAH (terrible company) and for our upcoming cruise, we're renting an Enterprise rental car from HOU (Hobby). This time we are looking forward to the flexibility of renting a car as we need to make a stop on the way to the ship and also want to try some different restaurants while we're there. They don't provide a shuttle to the ship, so that's an additional $17-$25 each way to/from the ship. The price ends up costing about $20 less than using a limo but you get the flexibility of being able to go when you want to go, stop when you want to stop.

The Princess transfers are reasonably priced considering the distance from HOU which is closer to 38 miles, not 50. From IAH, it's quite a bit further.

Intercontinental (IAH) is located on the north side of Houston and is 70 miles from the cruise port in Galveston. Going rate seems to be $70/each one way for a limo but can be adjusted with more pax sharing the ride.

Hobby (HOU) is on the near south side of Houston and is 40 miles from the cruise port. Going rate seems to be $40/each one way. Prices vary of course by limo company etc.

We use a limo since there is 4 in our group with lots of luggage.

We have found the best limo transportation to be Gulfcoast Limos. They are really nice folks and go out of their way to see that you have a good experience.

Mike:)

When we went from Houston Hobby to Galveston Port, I had priced a town car and a taxi. The rates were very close.

I opted for the town car with a set fee, rather than taking a taxi which was metered and would cost more if we ran into traffic.

Woody

Taxis are not out of the question, especially if there are 4 of you without a ton of luggage or in a van. That way, the cost is reasonable.

70 miles from IAH :eek: would not want to be stuck on a meter either way HOU/IAH.

Traffic can be horrendous

Traffic wasn't bad the last time we were there. If the OP is sharing with others and coming in early before the hoards, they should be fine. Obviously, a limo would be more comfortable and the price is set so it's a good choice but if you haven't planned ahead, a taxi is not out of the question. We used a taxi van from the ship to IAH and with 7 of us, it was very cost efficient.

We are sailing out of Galveston on Feb. 16 on the Crown Princess and are wondering about the price of transportation from Houston Hobby Airport to the port at Galveston? Is it cheaper than a local shuttle?

Hi beezercatz! We are on same cruise. We are flying in from Denver on the 15th and plan on regular old taxi to Galveston. Approx cost $107. The Princess transfer sounds like the way to go if you are flying in same day. Shuttle I checked (Galveston Limo) was $45pp one way or $40pp each way if booking roundtrip. Check out our roll call and see you on board!

We are doing the Princess transfer- $34 pp. as they transport you and your luggage. They meet you at baggage claim and if you are arriving the day of embarkation, take you directly to the cruise terminal. We arrive the day before - they take you to the hotel and then transport you the next morning to the cruise terminal. This time of year multipule ships leaving on Saturday, so much traffic, and high number of folks wanting to get to the terminal. We have always had good luck when we have traveled with Princess transfers. Private transportation just so-so luck.

Galveston can be tough. The best option I found a few years back was renting a car from Houston and finding a hotel in Galveston that would let me park it for a week for free. That worked out cheaper than anything else I could find at the time as well as allowing us transportation around town the day before the cruise.

A few years ago we staying overnight at the Galvez Hotel and had a shuttle ticket from Princess--after we retrieved our luggage we looked around and figured that we were going to be waiting a long while before the bus started to move--then the Galvaester Princess rep--called us a cab and gave the cab driver $125.00 to take us to the Galvez hotel--we were told to tip the cab driver--of course--we also fed him---terrible trip--we made or I should say I made the mistake of flying into Hobby--much closer to Bush International--I wasn't thinking obviously--I've come into Hobby lots since I'm in the oil business and thinngs I need are in that area.

Wish you a lot of luck !!!

Nancy:D:D

Check renting a car. I priced every option coming in Friday before a Sunday cruise and a rental car for the entire time, including the cruise, was the best deal. Many hotels in Galveston will let you leave your car for free during the cruise. Some offer round trip shuttle for $20 per room or you can take a cab. This is based on 2 people comparing 1 way car rental, shuttles, RCI, full stay rental car.

We are doing the Princess transfer- $34 pp. as they transport you and your luggage. They meet you at baggage claim and if you are arriving the day of embarkation, take you directly to the cruise terminal. We arrive the day before - they take you to the hotel and then transport you the next morning to the cruise terminal. This time of year multipule ships leaving on Saturday, so much traffic, and high number of folks wanting to get to the terminal. We have always had good luck when we have traveled with Princess transfers. Private transportation just so-so luck.

You must be taking a Princess pre cruise package?

• 1 month later...

We are sailing on the Crown on the 23rd and booked a private SUV through Super Shuttle. It was $120 and can seat up to 5 adults, we are a group of 4 adults so its costing us about $30 each plus a tip. We had to pre-pay in order to book it. We will use the Princess transfers after the cruise to go back to Hobby airport.

We are sailing on Crown Princess out of Galveston tomorrow. Arrived today at Houston Hobby. Took regular old taxi from airport to hotel in Galveston. Zone flat rate $100. Two of us, 4 bags, tipped $15. Very convenient, picked up baggage walked out door to taxi booth, and were off, no waiting at all. We are doing Princess transfer back at end of cruise, $34 pp. But what we wanted today was convenience and that is what we got. No problemo.

We are sailing on Crown Princess out of Galveston tomorrow. Arrived today at Houston Hobby. Took regular old taxi from airport to hotel in Galveston. Zone flat rate $100. Two of us, 4 bags, tipped $15. Very convenient, picked up baggage walked out door to taxi booth, and were off, no waiting at all. We are doing Princess transfer back at end of cruise, $34 pp. But what we wanted today was convenience and that is what we got. No problemo.

Cool beans, glad you made it. Now don't be late for the ship!

So, no pre-arranging? Just grabbed a cab at the airport? I like that idea :) Just curious, what hotel in Galveston did you stay at? Shuttle to the port?

So, no pre-arranging? Just grabbed a cab at the airport? I like that idea :) Just curious, what hotel in Galveston did you stay at? Shuttle to the port?

No pre-arranging. 40 minute ride, very nice older gentleman driver. Staying at Springhill Suites. No shuttle to cruise pier. Local taxi fare estimater for yellow cab $12.

We did the Hobby to Galveston transfer in January. We were originally booked with 24 Hour Limousine and Taxi. They didn't show and their two 24/7 phone numbers gave us a message that told us to phone back during normal business hours of 9-5. So we used a taxi. Four of us with six pieces of luggage cost $97 excluding tip. We stayed at the Harbour House. Coming back we got a taxi at the port and it cost $104. Would not do it any other way after our experience with the limo service. Being stuck at the airport after midnight was pretty disconcerting.

• 2 weeks later...

We've rented a limo from IAH (terrible company) and for our upcoming cruise, we're renting an Enterprise rental car from HOU (Hobby). This time we are looking forward to the flexibility of renting a car as we need to make a stop on the way to the ship and also want to try some different restaurants while we're there. They don't provide a shuttle to the ship, so that's an additional $17-$25 each way to/from the ship. The price ends up costing about $20 less than using a limo but you get the flexibility of being able to go when you want to go, stop when you want to stop.

The Princess transfers are reasonably priced considering the distance from HOU which is closer to 38 miles, not 50. From IAH, it's quite a bit further.

Did you return the car in Galveston? I didn't see a return place online for Galveston.

No pre-arranging. 40 minute ride, very nice older gentleman driver. Staying at Springhill Suites. No shuttle to cruise pier. Local taxi fare estimater for yellow cab $12.

It is newer good hotel on highway coming in!

Nothing around there to do or walk to!!

If you want things around you

go on to Seawall Blvd for Gulf or by Port.

Be prepared for taxi ride to go to anything including Port, Old Town or Gulf beaches and many things like Moody Gardens,

Pleasure pier or downtown Strand!

A good map off galveston.com

to get bearings

pdficon.gifGalveston Island Map PDF

Download Here (PDF 1.13MB)

It is newer good hotel on highway coming in!

Nothing around there to do or walk to!!

If you want things around you

go on to Seawall Blvd for Gulf or by Port.

Be prepared for taxi ride to go to anything including Port, Old Town or Gulf beaches and many things like Moody Gardens,

Pleasure pier or downtown Strand!

A good map off galveston.com

to get bearings

pdficon.gifGalveston Island Map PDF

Download Here (PDF 1.13MB)

Thanks for the map!

Archived