Differences between Oceania and Celebrity

Karynanne

My DH and I have been Celebrity loyalists for almost 14 years, but have found some of their policies not to our liking. We are looking for a change.

We've cruised on Azamara and found that the smaller, intimate ship very nice.

We'd like to know what are the distinct differences between the two lines?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

My DH and I have been Celebrity loyalists for almost 14 years, but have found some of their policies not to our liking. We are looking for a change.

We've cruised on Azamara and found that the smaller, intimate ship very nice.

We'd like to know what are the distinct differences between the two lines?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

My wife and I have have done 3 Celebrity( approx. 36 days) and 4 Oceania cruises( approx. 60 days). We also have 136 days on Seabourn and about 60 on Silversea.

In our opinion Oceania is a significant step up from Celebrity. Open seating, better food, dress code,and the type of passenger.

My wife and I have have done 3 Celebrity( approx. 36 days) and 4 Oceania cruises( approx. 60 days). We also have 136 days on Seabourn and about 60 on Silversea.

In our opinion Oceania is a significant step up from Celebrity. Open seating, better food, dress code,and the type of passenger.

Thank you for your response.

Doing a brief search I found these relevant threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1788748&highlight=oceania+vs+celebrity

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1777343&highlight=oceania+vs+celebrity

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1738901&highlight=oceania+vs+celebrity

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1617184&highlight=oceania+vs+celebrity

as well as many others.

There is a lot of very good information already in these threads that probably does not need to be repeated again.

However, if you have additional and specific questions after reading these threads, I am sure many here would be glad to answer them.

Happy reading!

I have sailed on "X" on "O" and on "AZ". All three.

I really like Celebrity, but we wanted less children, smaller ships, better food, and more quiet.

Azamara Quest was a really nice size and it was great. That was in 2007, and now that they include adult beverages we probably wont go on another AZ again.

Then came Oceania Riviera this May. We found what we were looking for. Great food, nice quiet ship, no children ( I think maybe there was 1), fantastic service, non-alcoholic bevrages included, really nice pax, all around great value.

DH and I are 50 & 51.

Doing a brief search I found these relevant threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1788748&highlight=oceania+vs+celebrity

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1777343&highlight=oceania+vs+celebrity

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1738901&highlight=oceania+vs+celebrity

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1617184&highlight=oceania+vs+celebrity

as well as many others.

There is a lot of very good information already in these threads that probably does not need to be repeated again.

However, if you have additional and specific questions after reading these threads, I am sure many here would be glad to answer them.

Happy reading!

Thank you for obtaining all the threads for me. It appears that Oceania may be our new choice of cruising experience.

Thank you for obtaining all the threads for me. It appears that Oceania may be our new choice of cruising experience.

You are welcome.

I expect that you will enjoy Oceania with the rest of us :)

I have done about 7 on Celebrity and one each on Riviera and Regatta of Oceania. On Oceania, even though it is not all inclusive you are not nickled and dimed to death. I found the prices on the alternate dining rooms on Celebrity to be outrageous. When they stopped providing water in the Penthouse suite (largest on Celebrity) I felt it was too much. Additionally the food on Oceania is better and I have liked the fellow cruisers real well. Décor is over the top.

The experiences are not comparable-- especially if you sail the R ships on Oceania.

The times we have chosen Celebrity it was either for an itinerary O did not offer or an itinerary that was a fraction of the price of O -- I mean mega difference for a better cabin category (thousands pp). We do our own excursions, food is food and if we avoid itineraries where kids would be present, we do not mind.

I am sticking to the R ships now and probably will do so for the future but itinerary governs.

Having taken my first Celebrity cruise in May of this year, after having taken the last four cruises on O, my opinion is O is a definite step up. Food definitely better, and love the ease of not having to worry what you do and what you don't pay for - everything is included except alcohol and spa services on O. O passengers skew older and better travelled, but I found both groups to be nice people and fun to visit with. O's itineraries are often more intimate, and the atmosphere aboard is definitely more intimate and quiet - the difference between 700-1300 and 2000+ passengers. Neither line has great entertainment, but I can still usually enjoy the "less than Las Vegas/Broadway" level of entertainment on both. The service on Celebrity was good - just a hair below O. I found all the crew you meet on O smile and say "good day" while about half the crew on X do. Some seem shy and actually turn away as you pass, but we also met some talented, dedicated crew members at all levels on Solstice I'm sure Mr. Del Rio would love to lure away from X.

All in all, we were certainly comfortable on X, as we have always been aboard O. But unless the itinerary on X is something I can't find on O, or the cost is a fraction of O's (after adding in all the "extras" X charges for that O doesn't), my dedication is still to O.

All in all, we were certainly comfortable on X, as we have always been aboard O. But unless the itinerary on X is something I can't find on O, or the cost is a fraction of O's (after adding in all the "extras" X charges for that O doesn't), my dedication is still to O.

What are all the extras that you get hit with? Thanks.

As i see it, the extras are (compared to O)

sodas

bottled water

specialty coffees

specialty restaurant charges

no self service laundry

On cruises where we save thousands pp, those extras are negligible to say the least.

sodas

bottled water

specialty coffees

no self service laundry

On cruises where we save thousands pp, those extras are negligible to say the least.

Thanks. We don't drink soda nor specialty coffees and I have no trouble drinking ship water since I do on O and it's fine. Once upon a time O charged for bottled water also. I would miss the self service laundry but if there is a very large differential in cost then I could send the clothes out to the on board laundry service.

I find X to be a very nice line however they have much larger ships with less staff per person. Their ships do not feel over crowded and are decorated in the same class as O. The food is good but O is more upscale and as we all know O has the included special rest. X has a age and family mix that reflects society why O is a older group and is not child friendly. Price wise I booked a 14 day trip on Rivera in March in a OV room. X has the exact same trip in a Aqua class room for 2500$ less, however my wife loves the art loft so we will take O. They are really both great lines, I was on X before RCI when they brought ouy the Zinith and Horizon, they were just like O in those days.

OTOH, my lasting memory from our last Solstice cruise was an evening "concert" given in the atrium with loud music and singing - no doubt to the delight of many sitting in the atrium.

However, I heard every single word of every single song while I was in bed trying to go to sleep in my midship cabin on deck 6.

When I called the front desk about this noise at 11:45 PM, I was "comforted" by the staff that it would be over by midnight:eek: Great!

Why this could not have taken place in one of their numerous lounges, I'll never understand.

Sorry, this party boat was not my kind of cruise. Not to mention long lines most of the time.

Edited by Paulchili

sodas

bottled water

specialty coffees

no self service laundry

We are doing a Celebrity Century in December 16 days to Hawaii and as you say..the difference in price is huge for a sky suite and Stu and I have fun whatever we do..

Jancruz1

I am a little confused (and dismayed) by posts which refer to some kind of difference in pax on the two lines. Some posters (sugarbird, kimanjo, Caroldoll) say or imply that Oceania pax are somehow "better" or "nicer" or in some way preferable to those on Celebrity, or at least that Oceania pax "suit" them in some way that Celebrity pax seemingly do not. Does anyone care to elaborate on the differences in "kinds" or "types" of pax on the two lines??

sodas

bottled water

specialty coffees

no self service laundry

I used to cruise on X and HAL when I did mass market cruises and this is our first O cruise.

X also charges for fitness classes (and adds an 18% service charge as well), non alcoholic drinks (I read these are no charge on O).

It has been years since we have been on an ocean cruise as we do not enjoy the size of mass market line ships, the nickel and diming, the lines, the food and service quality, which IMO and IME has continued to decline over the years. River cruises and independent travel to Europe and the Caribbean have been our preference.

We are looking forward to our first O cruise in ten weeks and truly hope it is a great experience.

I am a little confused (and dismayed) by posts which refer to some kind of difference in pax on the two lines. Some posters (sugarbird, kimanjo, Caroldoll) say or imply that Oceania pax are somehow "better" or "nicer" or in some way preferable to those on Celebrity, or at least that Oceania pax "suit" them in some way that Celebrity pax seemingly do not. Does anyone care to elaborate on the differences in "kinds" or "types" of pax on the two lines??

IMO Celebrity is family friendly, has stuff going on around the pool during the day and more late night entertainment. This brings a lot of family's, children and younger people on board. Oceania is not family friendly and very quite so it attracts a much older group, ship is dead after the one show is over. As far as anything besides, people are people. I have seen the good, bad and the shocking on all!

As people have asked about the fellow cruisers. Some mention "old". We are not young, we are past having children...more children on Celebrity. We like Trivia but never went on Celebrity if they have it. That being said, our last cruise was two weeks in the Caribbean. Excellent ports...and our DIL and son had their 25th wedding anniversary done by the Captain. That was neat and well done. Sorry if I mentioned something sinful...just a comment!

X also charges for fitness classes (and adds an 18% service charge as well), non alcoholic drinks (I read these are no charge on O).

Both X and O offer some free and some paid classes. No difference.

What IS different and better IMO is that X offers a real boot camp (did it once and it was tough - for a charge) and ZUMBA gold for free -- fabulous.

In terms of the "people" I would say that X is more heterogeneous than O -- because of the wide variation in the cost of the cabin you tend to get a much more diverse demographic.

sodas

bottled water

specialty coffees

no self service laundry

On our cruise those "extras" added up to about $250 per person. We visited Murano three times it was so good! And I loved a couple of espresso's in the morning. Oh, and fresh squeezed OJ. All of which cost extra.

More than the actual cost is the constant pulling out your card and waiting for it to be scanned. The "hassle" factor, if you will. I'd happily pay the additional cost in the cruise cost to skip the inconvenience. (Oh, that sounds so self indulgent. But, after all, I am on vacation!)

I used to cruise on X and HAL when I did mass market cruises and this is our first O cruise.

I'm pretty sure it's 15% service charge on X, it's 18% on O.

It's all a good time for me. I enjoy the food on both, which is pretty important to many people.