Azamara NEWBIE QUESTIONS--DRESS

halfvass

First, I apologize if I am rehashing things that have been covered. I did a search but didn't find anything really germane.

I will soon have my first cruise with Azamara. I have done about 32 cruises on an assortment of ships/lines. (RC, HAL, Princess, Carnival, MSC, Celebrity, Cunard)

I am wondering how I should dress aboard Azamara. I know it is less formal. Can someone give me some specifics?

Thanks for your help. Yes, I see some of you (mostly guys) rolling their eyes but this is an important topic for we women!:rolleyes:

Thanks!

Debbie

Hello Debbie

It is an important question for the ladies!

Azamara is smart casual, you are correct, no dressing up as such.

I would say, think if you were going out for a nice meal at a little restaurant, what would you wear then?

Most ladies wear trousers and a nice top, to keep the weight down I have a black top which is pretty and wear that with black evening trousers and I carry some very different coloured scarves to dress it up. That covers at least three evenings.

I take one dress, that's my personal choice, because I like to wear this lightweight jersey dress in the speciality restaurants we will usually have two visits to. It's not necessary to dress up a little more to go to them, but as they are more special evenings, I like to.

I also make sure I have a white too (no need to carry white trousers as well unless you want to, I sometimes take white linen trousers with me) as we like to go to the white nights party if there is one. Again, there is no compulsion to wear white (the party is a dinner on deck and great music) and they make a big thing emphasising come whatever, you have a white napkin anyway, but just a heads up if you want to be more in white.

Do enjoy your first Azamara cruise, we will all be interested to read of your comparisons with the other lines you have sailed on

During the day, quite informal. Depending upon the itinerary and weather, anything from workout clothes to jeans to capris to shorts! In the evening, a bit more dressed up...no jeans in the dining room, no shorts (we ate in Discoveries or the specialty restaurants for dinner) but probably could get away with it in Windows. A bit more formal in the specialty restaurants in general, but no necessity for formal gowns or tuxes for men. We did see lots of people dressed very nicely in the dining room...some of the men in jackets but most in nice collared shirts. Women in pretty tops and pants and dresses. My standard attire (since it's easier to pack) was a pair of elegant slacks and a blouse or sweater with some sparkle and perhaps a soft jacket or sweater or other similar wrap (since it can get cool in the a/c) But I've seen women in cocktail dresses too. So it's pretty much what you like and feel comfortable in.

Enjoy!

I'm not known for my great dress sense or my extensive wardrobe, but found that black evening pants and a couple of dressy tops which would easily roll up were fine for dinner. During the day, I tended to just wear what I would wear at home.

I must admit that the title of your post made me smile, Debbie, as I was tempted to reply "preferably", but that's just my deviant sens of humour!

Enjoy your cruise and don't worry, I'm sure you'll look good.

Cheers,

Sue

Hi Debbie I think wear what you feel good in. I personally feel good when I am in a nice dress. Last year I wore a lot of different maxi dresses and I did wear a formal dress and did not feel out of place. We will be cruising with Azamara again soon and I will be wearing maxi dresses and will probably take a formal one again but that is what I feel good in and I do look forward to dressing up.

Margaret

Hi Debbie,

The other thing is, people on Azamara don't seem to be the "LOOK AT ME!!!" type. Intelligent conversation trumps "who are you wearing?" at dinner.

My mistake on my cruise was worrying that people would notice if I had worn the same dress twice. Seriously, not an issue.

Pack light and enjoy the company.

Hi Debbie,

The other thing is, people on Azamara don't seem to be the "LOOK AT ME!!!" type. Intelligent conversation trumps "who are you wearing?" at dinner.

My mistake on my cruise was worrying that people would notice if I had worn the same dress twice. Seriously, not an issue.

Well said. Perfect summation of the Azamara experience.

Hi Debbie,

Same here! I was anxious before going on our first Azamara cruise that I wouldn't be as well dressed as everyone else. In reality my worries were much ado about nothing. Honestly, I didn't see much of a difference in what people wore from our Celebrity cruises so it was all good.

Debbie, have a wonderful time on Azamara and don't give your wardrobe a second thought. ;)

What's I've seen most often on this subject is to think Chico's. Following up on recent posting on this thread, though, don't pack too many different outfits. When we got back from our cruise on Quest last year, my wife's first comment was that she took too many different Chico's combinations.

I'm not known for my great dress sense or my extensive wardrobe, but found that black evening pants and a couple of dressy tops which would easily roll up were fine for dinner. During the day, I tended to just wear what I would wear at home.

I must admit that the title of your post made me smile, Debbie, as I was tempted to reply "preferably", but that's just my deviant sens of humour!

Enjoy your cruise and don't worry, I'm sure you'll look good.

Cheers,

Sue

TeeHee! You Aussies and your sense of humor--it is great! I do see it and believe you me, no one would want to see this 61 year old without clothes!

And I think it says so much about the different attitudes when sailing on Azamara, dress "codes" threads (if codes is even the fight word) are about sharing ideas, they never descend into the back biting spats and egg locked as happens on the Celebrity board

Enjoy planning what clothes to take but pack light!

It's ok Sandi - some of us struggle to follow our own advice and a girl can NEVER have too many pairs of shoes. :D

Maybe it's me but I could not wear the same sun dress two or three days in succession, it can be used later in the week - I need to freshen it up and have a change each day :eek:

Yes, just not in the dining room for dinner. They'd be great for the white night party.

Actually in '12 we did see men with white jeans and black jeans in the MDR at dinner...they were not shabby jeans though...neat and pressed. Nothing was said and they were allowed to dine and not sent away.

Guess maybe this is a hit and miss rule...although I won't take that chance.