how much is handicapped parking at cruise ports.

In Galveston and New Orleans you can get a sleep and park package with several of the local hotels where you spend one night at the hotel and leave your car at the hotel for the week of the cruise and take a taxi from your hotel to the port and vice versa upon your return. IMO, this is more convenient than handicapped port parking.

I have read here that it is free in FL if you have a modified vehicle. But not if you just have a HC tag or plate. You might to the the North American Homeports boards and ask there. EM

And at PortMiami or Port Everglades you must request the fee waiver for wheelchair vans when you arrive; if you wait until you leave to point out that you had parked a modified vehicle you will have to pay. Unfortunately actually finding an available handicapped parking space is the big obstacle--it is due to such rampant fraudulent use that free parking for just having a blue hang tag is no longer the rule in Florida (legislature repealed the statute requiring it way back in 1996).

The Port of Miami is free if your car has a current placard.

Absolutely FALSE

To codify what has been mentioned above:

http://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/parking-transportation.asp#parking

Notice to Disabled Parking Patrons (Effective November 16, 2013 at 12:01 a.m.)

Based on Ordinance 13-104 That Amends Section 30-338.2 of the Miami–Dade County Code;

Public parking charges will apply to vehicles parking at PortMiami’s public parking facilities that display a disabled parking permit or license tag, except as provided by Florida state law*. However, a vehicle displaying a disabled parking permit or license tag will be allowed up to two (2) hours of free parking. Any vehicle exceeding the two-hour free parking period will be charged for the entire time the vehicle uses the facility.

*In accordance with Florida state law, no parking charges will be imposed on any vehicle with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls, for use by a person with a disability, or any vehicle displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit.

How to request complimentary disabled parking at PortMiami:

At the exit, advise the parking attendant that you would like a disability waiver of parking.

The parking attendant will examine your vehicle to determine if the driver/vehicle meets the criteria for a parking waiver.

The parking attendant will inspect the vehicle to determine if a Florida Turnpike Toll Exemption sticker is affixed to it and/or if the vehicle has specialized equipment and a hanging tag from the Division of Motor Vehicles verifying the equipment.

Once the parking attendant has verified that a disability waiver of parking is allowable, the driver's name, address and the registration number on the sticker or hanging tag will be recorded on a form by the parking attendant.

(Has been this way for several years; the 2013 date is simply the last time updated)

Edited by fishywood

Absolutely FALSE

To codify what has been mentioned above:

http://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/parking-transportation.asp#parking

(Has been this way for several years; the 2013 date is simply the last time updated)

Sorry for passing false information. It certainly was not intentional. I didn't know it changed.

Although it does make me wonder about something. Just last year, I did a 3 night cruise out of Miami and my in-laws have a placard. They did park for free for the entire 3 nights. Maybe they just got lucky.

I hate to ask the stupid question, but why should ports provide complimentary parking for handicapped people? Accommodations for handicapped people, yes, definitely. But why complimentary parking?

I had always wondered that myself.

Edited by Aquahound

Sorry for passing false information. It certainly was not intentional. I didn't know it changed.

Although it does make me wonder about something. Just last year, I did a 3 night cruise out of Miami and my in-laws have a placard. They did park for free for the entire 3 nights. Maybe they just got lucky.

Well I ended up contradicting myself with the info about reporting exempt vehicles at time of entering rather than leaving. It appears this is required at Port Everglades but not Miami; I assume this is why your in-laws were waved through by the attendant who didn't want to be bothered to check if their vehicle qualified or not.

I hate to ask the stupid question, but why should ports provide complimentary parking for handicapped people? Accommodations for handicapped people, yes, definitely. But why complimentary parking?

Well not too long ago you would have been shamed for asking this question. I remember when the blue placard was legal carte blanche to park no only without feeding the meter but with no regard for posted time limits and other parking rules. And is some parts of the country it still is; whether this is due to fear of seeming politically incorrect or just plain unsympathetic if proposing limits on the placard's use I can't say. But as mentioned above here in Florida there is no longer a requirement for lots that charge flat long-term rates to waive the fees other than for an accessibility-modified vehicle.

Please not I am NOT questioning the motives of the original poster for asking their question. If Charleston still allows all handicapped decals to park free, that must mean the privilege is not being abused. Sadly not the case here in South Florida.

• 3 months later...

This is a guess on my part for the free parking. A handicapped person who requires the use of an ECV has no choice but to park at the port's terminal which costs so much more than other cruise parking lots. Parking at lots that provide shuttle service to the terminal DO NOT provide transportation for the ECV due to space constraints. I also believe the reason the port(s) require a modified vehicle to get the free parking is because it is too easy for people to borrow the handicapped plaque in order to get the free parking. Like I said, this is just my guess as to why.:)

Another issue is whether the port's state DMV recognizes the placard of some other state.

Perhaps port parking is different, but we have never had an issue parking in a handicap spot in any other state in addition to the one it was issued in. Does anyone know of any state that will ONLY recognize a handicap tag that was issued by that state?

Edited by marco

Perhaps port parking is different, but we have never had an issue parking in a handicap spot in any other state in addition to the one it was issued in. Does anyone know of any state that will ONLY recognize a handicap tag that was issued by that state?

California.

Travel parking placard for nonresidents who plan to travel in California and have a permanent disability and/or DV plates. Valid for up to 90 days or the date noted by your licensed medical professional on the application, whichever time frame is less.

The also have these:

Travel parking placard for California residents who currently have a permanent DP parking placard or DP or DV license plates. Valid for 30 days from the date DMV issues it.

Disabled Person Parking Privileges

Once you have a valid DP placard, DP plates, or DV plates, you may park:

• In parking spaces with the International Symbol of Access (wheelchair symbol).
  • Next to a blue curb authorized for persons with disabilities parking.
  • Next to a green curb (green curbs indicate limited time parking) for as long as you wish. There is no time limit with a DP placard, DP license plates, or DV license plates.
  • In an on-street metered parking space at no charge.
  • In an area that indicates it requires a resident or merchant permit.

In addition to parking privileges, service stations must refuel a disabled person’s vehicle at self-service rates unless the service facility has only one employee on duty.

There are nearly 2.5 million disabled placards in California. That's about one in every 10 drivers.

Though local authorities may or may not enforce this, California does require visitors with an out-of-state handicapped placard to apply to the DMV for a 90 day travel permit.

That is an interesting question. I confirmed that Florida does recognize out of state handicap tags (http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/disabled-drivers.php):

Handicap Placards for FL Visitors

If you are
visiting Florida from another U.S. state
, you can
use your home state placard
for disabled parking in Florida.

As does New York but with the interesting caveat that all other states may not recognize a New York tag (http://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/parking-people-disabilities-law):

Visiting from Out of State Or Traveling Outside New York State

New York State honors out-of-state plates and permits for people with disabilities, and most other states also honor New York's permits and plates.

California on the other hand looks like you might need to apply for a travel placard if you are from out of state (http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/disabled-drivers.php) but it isn't all that clear to me.

Travel Placards

You can apply for a
travel placard
IF
:

• You have a permanent disability.

AND

• You are traveling outside of your home state.

A travel placard is
valid for
:

• Up to 30 days, if you are a CA resident traveling outside of the state.

OR

• Up to 90 days, if you are visiting CA from another state.

I guess they must assume that handicapped people who can afford to take cruises are economically disadvantaged. I totally agree with you. Handicapped people should be given access to places and events and other things such as cruises. Access - yes. For free - no.

DON

as someone with a card and who uses a Wheelchair I completely AGREE with you. the whole point of ADA was to grant EQUAL access, not give us an advantage( to include free parking)

my Placard was issued in MD and came with a little card for my wallet that basically says: thou Shalt Keep this card handy at all times and must present it to any law enforcement or authorized person when requested. This card is legal in all states to prove eligibility to park in any Handicapped spot.

it has matching documentation to my Placard.

Nobody here in TX has ever questioned it and I use it to gain handicapped parking in spot like the Texas Renn Faire and this weekend.. at the Houston campus to attend the game and watch the Midshipmen win the division outright. these places you cannot just grab a spot you have to be allowed into the area.

also have yet to get yelled at at places like the Zoo or Sea world where it is first come first served( although Sea World has like a bazillion spots. )

my Placard was issued in MD and came with a little card for my wallet that basically says: thou Shalt Keep this card handy at all times and must present it to any law enforcement or authorized person when requested. This card is legal in all states to prove eligibility to park in any Handicapped spot.

it has matching documentation to my Placard.

Nobody here in TX has ever questioned it and I use it to gain handicapped parking in spot like the Texas Renn Faire and this weekend.. at the Houston campus to attend the game and watch the Midshipmen win the division outright. these places you cannot just grab a spot you have to be allowed into the area.

also have yet to get yelled at at places like the Zoo or Sea world where it is first come first served( although Sea World has like a bazillion spots. )

In NY the placard has an ID# on it. The last 3 numbers are the same as the last 3 numbers on your Driver License. That way, you can't "borrow" someone else's placard and use it.

In NY the placard has an ID# on it. The last 3 numbers are the same as the last 3 numbers on your Driver License. That way, you can't "borrow" someone else's placard and use it.

Interesting. Now I have to go check mine to see if the same is true in California. Excellent way to catch cheaters.

The OP has asked an interesting question but I can honestly say it has never occurred to me to go to a pay parking lot and expect to get it free. It wouldn't even occur to me to ask. The amount of times I've parked at parking meters wouldn't save me enough to give it thought either.

The perk is a close parking spot because you have mobility issues, it is not a "free ride". Get it, free ride. Okay I know you guys are laughing with me, not at me. Right? :D

Edited by notentirelynormal

In New Mexico the handicapped person's photo is on the placard. So non-usable by others.

In New Mexico the handicapped person's photo is on the placard. So non-usable by others.

Wow. That's really interesting. That would take away tons of news stories here in LA. They bust people all the time. Hey, I can limp if needed. Actually sometimes I feel I really do need to do that so people don't yell at me LOL.