Sudden Sickness???

karinad

I've had to cancel a few cruises for reasons of deaths or back problems. We do always purchase travel insurance and never had a problem getting reimbursed from them. These were things that we had a few weeks ahead of the cruise to prepare for not going and not hard to prove the reason to the insurance co.

I was just wondering if you got up the morning of the cruise or your flight and you or cruise mates got a virus that your throwing up or coming out the other or both ends:eek:. When my dh or I get this kind of illness we usually don't go to the doctors unless it continues for longer then usual. There's no way that you could attempt to go. How do you prove this to the insurance company. If you fell and broke a bone suddenly, you'd have proof.

Anyone had this experience? It has to be quite a disappointment, especially for the others traveling with you.

Just wondering.

The simplest answer is - go to the doctors to get proof. If you're not going on holiday when you get sick, then I fully agree to not bother going unless it gets serious. But if you stand to lose thousands of $ or £'s, then go to the doctors to get proof you're ill and unable to go on holiday.

Don't want to sound rude, but, it's a bit of a no brainer for me.

Yes, it sounds like a "no brainer" to just go to the doctors, but if I'm that sick, and have been, that you can't move from the bed, it's easier said then done.

Anyway, has it ever happened to you? No one really knows unless they've been in that situation.

Most doctors don't want someone coming in the office and spreading the virus or flu.

I've had to cancel a few cruises for reasons of deaths or back problems. We do always purchase travel insurance and never had a problem getting reimbursed from them. These were things that we had a few weeks ahead of the cruise to prepare for not going and not hard to prove the reason to the insurance co.

I was just wondering if you got up the morning of the cruise or your flight and you or cruise mates got a virus that your throwing up or coming out the other or both ends:eek:. When my dh or I get this kind of illness we usually don't go to the doctors unless it continues for longer then usual. There's no way that you could attempt to go. How do you prove this to the insurance company. If you fell and broke a bone suddenly, you'd have proof.

Anyone had this experience? It has to be quite a disappointment, especially for the others traveling with you.

Just wondering.

So with your cruise fare on the line why wouldn't you go to the doctors, hey s/he might even say, no worries you'll be fine in a few hours and then you can go on your cruise.

if you have a regular doctor that knows you can you call & explain the situation & ask if he would sign insurance forms should you need to cancel ?

I would not want to be heading out if I was having that problem & it could NORO so going ahead with the cruise could be spreading it to others

I have had to cancel the morning of our flight but DH was having a gallbladder attack so we did head to the hospital

Just wondering.

The cruise line requires you to sign a health statement that you have not experienced any such symptoms. If you tell them yes, they will refuse you boarding therefore invoking your insurance. Though, insurances may not cover you if your travel partner gets sick and is not your immediate family member.

It sounds to me like what you are describing is a case of Noro or Noro like Virus. If you have an on-going relationship with your doctor, the first thing to do is call. They may or may not wish for you to come to the office. Take your doctor's lead IMO

In this situation I would:

1st) Call the travel insurance company with your policy number and explain the situation so that your travel record and policy is notated.

2nd) Call the cruise line and cancel. Make sure your travel record is notated that the cancellation is for a medical issue.

3rd) In the next day or 2 when you feel you can then move from bed, make a doctor's appointment as soon as possible to have whatever it is ailing you checked out.

4th) Contact the travel insurance company again and request your claim forms. You will now have the proper cancellation documentation from the cruise line along with the proper medical documentation as well as a heads up noted on your travel record with the insurance company to back up your insurance claim.

If, as you state, your medical doctor doesn't want someone coming in the office and spreading the virus or flu, you may need to start looking for another doctor.

Just wondering.

In that case I'd go to the Dr or Urgent Care or even the ER so I'd have proof.

I'd ask a friend or neighbor to take me if necessary.

Edited by NMLady

The cruise line requires you to sign a health statement that you have not experienced any such symptoms. If you tell them yes, they will refuse you boarding...

Actually, they may let you board but you would have to see the ship's doctor at no charge, and may be quarantined as a result of the examination.

Got home from our cruise in May & within 10 hrs was in the same situation

The last thing you want to do is leave the bathroom never mind go to the medical facility :eek:

I thought I had food poisoning from eating at the airport

Found out the ship had come down with Noro

At least I was home from the ship when it hit

Just read through this thread and out of pure curiosity I have a question.

If you are too sick in the US to get to a doctors surgery do you not just ring the surgery and ask for the doctor to make a house call. I know in the UK we can do this and just wondering if things are different on the other side of the pond.

Edited by Ms Jo UK
typos

If you are too sick in the US to get to a doctors surgery do you not just ring the surgery and ask for the doctor to make a house call. I know in the UK we can do this and just wondering if things are different on the other side of the pond.

No doctors in my "neck of the woods" have made house calls for years! I don't remember when they stopped, but when I was a kid in the 1960's it was an extra $5. for the doctor to come to the house. Our family doctor's don't even go into the hospitals to see their patients. We have Hospitalists that take over the care of all admitted patients. Of course, if it's a surgery that is done, the surgeon does come in to see his patients.

For the most part, doctors in the US stopped making housecalls around the time of the Nixon administration.

Actually, some doctors making house calls is coming back in limited numbers. In the Boston area (and other parts of U.S.), some medical practices are becoming 'concierge medicine'. You pay an annual fee to enroll and you have access to this medical practice immediately 24/7. There are usually a handful of members in the concierge arrangement who cover for each other. I have heard of some of them making an occasional house call.

In this day and age of so many changes in medical care and availability etc, concierge medicine is attractive to some.

Edited by sail7seas

No doctors in my "neck of the woods" have made house calls for years! I don't remember when they stopped, but when I was a kid in the 1960's it was an extra $5. for the doctor to come to the house. Our family doctor's don't even go into the hospitals to see their patients. We have Hospitalists that take over the care of all admitted patients. Of course, if it's a surgery that is done, the surgeon does come in to see his patients.

I guess healthcare is very different in the US. It has to be a good reason for them to make house calls in the UK and often they will just suggest you call an ambulance to take you hospital, but they do still come out, its not a 24 hour service it has to be during the hours the doc is on his rounds.

Our doctors have never ever visited us in hospital to my knowledge.

I don't know how I could forget this, but I worked for a Podiatrist for 25 yrs. and he would make house calls to some disabled people of elderly. We are in a small town with a few Podiatrists and there's one that has more patients then others. He doesn't make house calls!:rolleyes:

The last time I can remember a physician making a house call was in the 1950s and I was a little kid. Telling my age here.

Fortunately for us about five years ago our family practice physician decided to start a "concierge" practise. He will make house calls if his patients are too sick to come in.

The medical care system in the US is very different.

Back to the original question.....if someone comes down with the noro or other virus on a regular basis, it would be a good idea to become extremely diligent with hand washing. It is amazing the difference it can make.

In this situation I would:

1st) Call the travel insurance company with your policy number and explain the situation so that your travel record and policy is notated.

2nd) Call the cruise line and cancel. Make sure your travel record is notated that the cancellation is for a medical issue.

3rd) In the next day or 2 when you feel you can then move from bed, make a doctor's appointment as soon as possible to have whatever it is ailing you checked out.

4th) Contact the travel insurance company again and request your claim forms. You will now have the proper cancellation documentation from the cruise line along with the proper medical documentation as well as a heads up noted on your travel record with the insurance company to back up your insurance claim.

If, as you state, your medical doctor doesn't want someone coming in the office and spreading the virus or flu, you may need to start looking for another doctor.

Get the claims forms during step one. Hopefully they will be an attachment to an email and you can get the required physician statement on your first contact.

House call?? I think it's been more than 60 years since I've heard of a Dr making a house call.

Maybe some do in the very rural areas, but that's an anomaly.