Europe 2018 cruises

Coral

Thanks for the very helpful information!!! [emoji5]

Hopefully the prices are going down a little compared to the summer season in 2017.

Compared with the spreadsheet for 2017 the 2018 sailings seem to be slightly cheaper... [emoji5]

Interesting that Princess deploys Sapphire out of Southampton, for whatever reason...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Northern Europe was strong sales wise for 2016, and is booking well for 2017. When you couple that demand with the decision to keep the Caribbean Princess in the Caribbean for 2018 (a wise decision IMHO) they needed an additional ship for Europe. Obviously looking at other deployment needs the Sapphire was the best option.

With Golden going to Alaska and Diamond potentially floating back and forth between Japan and Australia it seems Princess will be making the Majestic Princess their main Asian focus for summer 2018. It will be interesting to see if those sailings are made available to book via non-Chinese booking channels.

Northern Europe was strong sales wise for 2016, and is booking well for 2017. When you couple that demand with the decision to keep the Caribbean Princess in the Caribbean for 2018 (a wise decision IMHO) they needed an additional ship for Europe. Obviously looking at other deployment needs the Sapphire was the best option.

I know that an additional ship was needed. [emoji5]

And I kinda like Sapphire.

But I am wondering why they are doing such difficult logistics.

Wouldn't it be easier to deploy Sapphire just from Singapore to Med, to deploy her for the Med season, and not sending her up to Southampton?

Crown, however could have been easily brought to Southampton via Atlantic.

But Princess seems to know what they're doing.

And whether Crown or Sapphire sails from Southampton it does not really matter for me.

But regarding the logistics I am just a little wondering. [emoji5]

Hi,

Thanks for posting this information. This is a big change in cruising region for the Sapphire Princess. I believe that this ship (which was built in Japan) has always been based in the Pacific Ocean. Won't this be the first time that this ship has ever sailed in the Atlantic Ocean? Similarly, I don't think her sister (Diamond Princess) has ever sailed in the Atlantic Ocean.

Chuck

I know that an additional ship was needed. [emoji5]

And I kinda like Sapphire.

But I am wondering why they are doing such difficult logistics.

Wouldn't it be easier to deploy Sapphire just from Singapore to Med, to deploy her for the Med season, and not sending her up to Southampton?

Crown, however could have been easily brought to Southampton via Atlantic.

But Princess seems to know what they're doing.

And whether Crown or Sapphire sails from Southampton it does not really matter for me.

But regarding the logistics I am just a little wondering. [emoji5]

The Crown has a higher passenger capacity than the Sapphire (3082 vs 2670), so perhaps with the reduction of ships in the Med, and moving both Royal & Regal to Northern Europe they felt that the Crown was the better fit from a capacity standpoint? I think the Crown may also offer more 3/4 guest rooms and/or more connecting rooms than the Sapphire. The Med may traditionally have more demand for those types of rooms as well.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

it seems Princess will be making the Majestic Princess their main Asian focus for summer 2018. It will be interesting to see if those sailings are made available to book via non-Chinese booking channels.

The Majestic is chartered to various Chinese agencies for the entire time it is based in China.

No marketing of the ship to potential passengers is done by Princess for these charters.

I would expect the passengers to be almost 100% Chinese and that the only languages used on board and on excursions would be Mandarin and Cantonese. It would probably not be a good experience for someone who does not read and speak one of these Chinese languages.

The Crown has a higher passenger capacity than the Sapphire (3082 vs 2670), so perhaps with the reduction of ships in the Med, and moving both Royal & Regal to Northern Europe they felt that the Crown was the better fit from a capacity standpoint? I think the Crown may also offer more 3/4 guest rooms and/or more connecting rooms than the Sapphire. The Med may traditionally have more demand for those types of rooms as well.

That sounds like a logic explanation.

I am quite sure when the 2019 new build debuts it could spend its maiden season in Europe, let's see whether Sapphire will return.

Thanks for posting this information, Coral. :)

I'm loving the 10-night European Explorer on Sapphire from Southampton to Rome, and that's likely what I will book for October 2018. Almost 23 months in advance. My niece wants to see as much as possible for her first trip to Europe, and this gives her and me England, Spain, Portugal, France and Italy. Not a bad start, and lots of opportunities for art, which will be the focus.

I love the varied MDR decor and the glass-enclosed pool on Sapphire, especially given the chance of variable weather.

Come on December 1!

Thanks for posting this information, Coral. :)

I'm loving the 10-night European Explorer on Sapphire from Southampton to Rome, and that's likely what I will book for October 2018. Almost 23 months in advance. My niece wants to see as much as possible for her first trip to Europe, and this gives her and me England, Spain, Portugal, France and Italy. Not a bad start, and lots of opportunities for art, which will be the focus.

I love the varied MDR decor and the glass-enclosed pool on Sapphire, especially given the chance of variable weather.

Come on December 1!

Of all of my Grand class ships, the Sapphire seems to be my favorite. I have done more B2B2B or B2B on that ship compared to any other ship. I also like the covered pool area, even if I don't swim. Nice area to read when the weather isn't behaving.

Enjoy your cruise - I have no doubt your niece will LOVE it!

October in that area should be fabulous weather. It is summers I dread in Europe.

Edited by Coral

Am I reading the pdf file correctly? I only see two ships doing the 2018 fall Med crossings while the Royal and Regal do the northern routes? Seems like a lot less ships.....:confused:

Bob

With the turmoil in some eastern Med countries (Turkey and Egypt for example) and the terrorist attacks in some western Europe countries these is much less demand from the USA for cruises in those areas.

Princess and other cruise lines are reducing the number of ships cruising in the Med as a result. The CB, for example, will sail in 2018 summer in the Caribbean instead of in Europe.

Am I reading the pdf file correctly? I only see two ships doing the 2018 fall Med crossings while the Royal and Regal do the northern routes? Seems like a lot less ships.....:confused:

Bob

Celebrity comes out on Tuesday, check to see if they're any better. I'm finding this princess release a little pathetic for Med. lovers.