The TextRunningTogetherThing << That's on purpose.

POA1

I realize that this is more a general tech topic, but I don't really care that much about the people on other boards. ;)

The new version of the vBulletin software seems to parse pasted text a little differently than the old version did. If you've saved your canned responses in a word processor document - or if you compose your posts in something like MS Word - you might find that some of your text runs together or otherwise gets funky. Word processors tend to perform conversions on the fly, turning certain strings into special characters. You see this when your word processor turns fraction like 1/2 or 1/4 into their Unicode equivalents ½ and ¼. You also see it when you use an ellipsis, which you type as three periods ... but get turned into Unicode U+2026 or … -- A similar thing happens with em dashes and a number of other special characters.

In addition to special characters, your word processing document contains a lot of other coded information for fonts, colors, spacing, etc. This extra information can trip up the parser when you paste from the word processor document.

Q: That's some seriously boring stuff, dude. How do we fix the problem?

A: Glad you asked! You're probably aware of the keyboard shortcuts CTRL+C (Windows) or Command+C for copying. If you're aware of those, you probably also know about CTRL-V or Command+V for pasting. If you want to paste without formatting, the shortcuts are CTRL+Shift+V or Caommand+Shift+V.

If you want to save your word processor document as plain text, the solution is to run your text through a plain text editor and paste from there. You can also save your source file as a plain text document for future use. It will have a .txt file extension instead of .doc or .docx extension (assuming you have your system set up to show file extensions.) If you are using Pages on the Mac, the extension will be .pages.

On a PC, you can simply paste your Word document into Notepad. In Windows versions prior to 10, Notepad was in the Accessories program group. In all versions of Windows, you can press the Wndows Key + R (at the same time) to bring up the Run dialog box. Then, type notepad and click the OK button to start Notepad.

Once you've pasted your text, you can save the file using File > Save or File > Save As.

To post, select the text from Notepad - or CTRL+A to select All. Copy the text (CTRL+C) and then switch to CruiseCritic in your browser and paste the text (CTRL+V.) You can also right click and use the pop-up context menus, but the shortcut keys are faster.

On a Mac, you'll need to use TextEdit. It doesn't work in plain text by default, but the instructions for changing it are here:

http://osxdaily.com/2014/12/10/mac-equivalent-notepad-windows-textedit/

Thank you POA1 for a very helpful post. :)

This is exactly what was going on with my Future Cruise Listing and I thank you again for helping me resolve it.

This is a great post for people to save in a folder in their subscribed threads until CC either starts behaving better or we all have this down to a science and don't need to refer ;)

Since I am no techie, I will be saving it for future reference :)

Very interesting. We have been battling this for the last 15 years, for the product for which I am product manager. Rich text is a very strange animal on the web. Microsoft Word Rich text is even weirder. The ton of junk markup Microsoft Word dumps into the rich text it places on to the clipboard is just shocking. It's an absolute mess. We have let Microsoft know that they are effectively doing this wrong for the last 15 years, but our comments have fallen on deaf ears.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

That is the method I use to clear out formatting from text. It is simple to remember as all one has to use are the standard Windows paste and copy commands. To make it even easier, I keep a Notepad icon pinned to my taskbar.

igraf

....On a PC, you can simply paste your Word document into Notepad. ......To post, select the text from Notepad - or CTRL+A to select All. Copy the text (CTRL+C) and then switch to CruiseCritic in your browser and paste the text (CTRL+V.) You can also right click and use the pop-up context menus, but the shortcut keys are faster....

I have never been able to find a Windows shortcut that works to "paste without formatting". Ctrl + Shift + V doesn't work (it does nothing) as does Ctrl + Windows + V (that I read about elswhere). So annoying.

It seems I can set MS Office to always paste without formatting - which is what I mostly do in all documents.

For the sail-away threads I set all the text up in Notepad and then copy, paste and reformat it in the message boards. Mine involves a bit less formatting than Kazu's does.

You lost me at parse . . . . :evilsmile: LOL I am grateful there are people like you who truly understand all the ins and outs of coding and conversions and elipsises (elipsisi?) and can provide assistance to those of us who don't.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

It's all G®eek to me!:eek::D

I don't seem to have had any problems with my roll call list recently. But I am such a dork that what I do is type myself an email draft which I can alter as people sign up - then I cut and paste it into the thread - am I being just too simple-minded?

I have never been able to find a Windows shortcut that works to "paste without formatting". Ctrl + Shift + V doesn't work (it does nothing) as does Ctrl + Windows + V (that I read about elswhere). So annoying.

It seems I can set MS Office to always paste without formatting - which is what I mostly do in all documents.

For the sail-away threads I set all the text up in Notepad and then copy, paste and reformat it in the message boards. Mine involves a bit less formatting than Kazu's does.

Are you pressing all three keys at the same time? It should work. I'm pretty sure that I have been using the shortcut going back to Windows 3.1 or Windows 95.

To clarify in case anyone's not familiar with the keyboard shortcut notations, to paste without formatting:

On a PC, you Press and Hold the CTRL key and the Shift Key and then press the V. Release when done. ===>>> Ctrl+Shift+V

On a Mac, Press and Hold the Command key and the Shift Key and then press the V. Release when done. ===>>> ⌘+Shift+V

Are you pressing all three keys at the same time? It should work. I'm pretty sure that I have been using the shortcut going back to Windows 3.1 or Windows 95.

I have never been so insulted in my life! :eek:

I grew up on Ctrl + Alt +Delete and I am very good at that! :D

I have never been so insulted in my life! :eek:

I grew up on Ctrl + Alt +Delete and I am very good at that! :D

Sorry. I have no idea why it wouldn't work for you, and I was just guessing.

LOL...I just did a copy & paste from an old post about using a Travel Agent vs. direct booking..My post was long & a lot of the text (not all though) ran together.. the ones which ran together were at the beginning of each sentence..I spent about a half hour trying to correct the copy & paste post.. But just looked at the post again & I missed some.. Now have to print out your instructions & follow them next time..Thanks for the lesson.. :D

POA Thanks again for the lesson..Just used the Windows key plus R & typed in Notepad & pasted a paragraph into it.. It came out as only in one line across the top.. But copied that line & pasted it into a Word document & it came out as a paragraph.. You have saved me a lot of time in the future as don't have to spend so much time to put spaces between run on things I've copied..:D

POA Thanks again for the lesson..Just used the Windows key plus R & typed in Notepad & pasted a paragraph into it.. It came out as only in one line across the top.. But copied that line & pasted it into a Word document & it came out as a paragraph.. You have saved me a lot of time in the future as don't have to spend so much time to put spaces between run on things I've copied..:D

When Notepad is open, there's a menu item, under View I think, that says Word Wrap or something similar. Click it and your paragraph will wrap in the display. It won't affect your text for copy / paste, but it will make it easier to read.