Pearl Transatlantic - Shoreguy Blog - 2 December 2006

shoreguy

Time again for another blog or free for all depending on what way this thread goes. Many have asked me to do a proper blog so it is easier to follow. I seriously considered it but in the end it belongs here. Most of what I have learned about NCL is the direct result of information posted by others here over the years. I have taken some of the information and expanded my understanding with experience.

I started to capture some thoughts in August to share the bumps in the road getting to the Pearl. In all fairness to NCL most of the bumps I created as I played with my booking. Starting out with an aft BA with air, moving to an AE with air and hotel (10 days at sea with no butler was not an option – I hate the upsell desk for creating this addiction). Finally I move to an AB when the price dropped trashing the booking for the final time. What else are you going to do while you wait 6 months to depart.

The lesson in the prolog – all problems can be fixed if you get to the right person. Everyone one I worked with wanted nothing more then to solve my issues. The fact is some are empowered to do it and some as hard as they try are not empowered.

Lets get started off to the airport in 6 hours.

Saturday August 5, 2006 – In the beginning

Though I would start this today August 5, 2006 and post it when the cruise gets closer.

This cruise like the Jewel transatlantic in September 2005 is getting a bumpy start. If the Pearl cruise turns out as well as the Jewel I will be delighted. For those that missed the Jewel blog there is a link below but the short story my booking dropped out of the system and I lost my cabin. Emails, phone calls , and all was restored .

May 14 booked this cruise but could not book air since it was not in the system yet. , Shelia Lassiter on the Latitudes desk was outstanding. She keep checking and emailed when the fights were available. Called back and booked them still no hotels in London.

Fast forward – assigned a personal cruise consultant in June – yahoo. Very nice and easy to reach. Checked back every couple of weeks sorry no hotels. In the next two months between my PCC, and the Latitudes desk – I heard any day now, sorry I don’t believe they are going to offer any hotels, and the most troubling they are all sold out !

Time to solve the problem. Sent an email to one of the senior officers at NCL asking him to forward it to someone who could give me a definitive answer. Got an email back first thing in the am from him and a voicemail at 9:30 from Mario Lopez the supervisor working the issue. I tried to call back several times and got voicemail. Reached him at 3:15 and he said everything was done the hotels were booked and I was all set. He could not have been more helpful. Great guy. Got my confirmation with hotels at 3:22 pm. The fact is the hotels were still linked to a Dover departure in the system. When the ship moved to Southampton the system showed no hotels for that port. Thus the reason none of the reservation agents could book a hotel.

I'll read with interest and hopefully others not with your group will post so we can compare. I'd like to know how the cruise is for the regular people that don't have direct access to all the brass at NCL. I think it will be interesting to see how or if the experiences differ. Have a good trip.

Thanks for taking the time to keep us posted on your Pearl cruise.

Your Jewel blog was partly to credit for our taking a Jewel cruise last year. We thought it was outstanding. Hopefully, you'll be at least as happy with the Pearl & we'll "follow" you in a while with a Pearl cruise of our own.

hotsput-hopefully they'll keep the menus wiped off!!! ;)

Happy sailings

-Monte

Shoreguy- You are fortunate to have one of NCL's premier entertainers on board the Pearl for her trans-Atlantic cruise. Pianist/vocalist extraordinaire Pamala Stanley will be serenading you nightly and she alone is worth the price of the fare. See if you can persuade her to come aboard the Gem for the inaugural winter season out of New York? Her nightly performances in Gatsby's were the highlight of our Dawn cruises.

Shoreguy,

Looking forward to your blog so we can see exactly how much fun we're having! :D

You haven't even left the airport and all these responses...it's gonna be a loooooong thread!;)

See you in the Star Bar Saturday night with a big hug from Suesan Jean. And I no longer have to randomly squeeze everyone with a Martini! :p

A-Pearling we will go!

Jim, First of all, have the best voyage of your life. We all know how much it means for you to do the maiden voyages. We look forward to your reports especially on the excellent crew aboard her. If you get the chance to talk with Pamela Stanley, please, apologize to her for me for requesting "theme from the Titanic" aboard the Dawn Wave Cruise. It seems that it was a prime complaint from the Class action suit people and the attorney for NCL was very pleased when he found out that I had requested it. Hope she did not get any flack for it. Have a safe and healthy journey. Eileen

Jim - You and your son have a wonderful cruise.

As all of the rest, I'll be looking forward to your blog updates.

Perhaps when the Pearl makes it's West-Coast debut, we shall be aboard.

Take care, be safe, and enjoy each and every day thoroughly.

SailAways:) :)

Jim, thanks for starting your blog. We've all been waiting a long time for it. Followed your every utterance on the Jewel blog and used the info to enhance our Jewel cruise. I plan on doing the same with your Pearl blog for our upcoming Pearl cruise.

Now, I think I'll just get me some little drink umbrellas, pour myself a pina colada, put my feet up, and enter your world for the next couple of weeks. :D

In advance, I am sorry if I make some folks mad. I have just sorted through two pages of postings trying to find the updates from Shoreguy. Instead I get lots of well wishers adding their two cents with good luck, thanks, great job, bon voyage, see ya soon, etc. etc.

All well and good, but gee whiz......

Yea, I know, somebody will say don't read it if you don't want to. ya-da ya-da ya-da

I love reading and hearing from Shoreguy...

Hi Shoreguy. Enjoy your cruise aboard the Pearl. If you get a chance I would love to see pictures of deck 15 as I am trying to figure out exactly where cabin #15500 and #15000 are situated. Looking forward to my cruise on the Pearl on 2/2/07.

Archived