Has Zumba hit the Royal Caribbean waves yet?

• 5 years later...

Royal Caribbean is now training crew members to be zumba certified. Zumba certification literally takes a couple hours and you pay a couple hundred dollars and voila your certified. The experience I had on board at a zumba class last week was awful. They need to bring on guest instructors that teach zumba on a regular basis and that are widely known for their talent. They need to learn from Celebrity Cruiselines. I went to the zumba class on that ship and the instructor was phenomenal. Her choreography was more fun and also gave me a better workout.

I'm an instructor and was lucky enough to be able to teach classes last week on the Indy. I do not work for them and just did it for fun. I had to jump through hoops to get my class in the compass but it was successful and had good numbers. They also had a licensed employee that taught in the afternoon 2 days per week (I taught 4 mornings). The review I got on the onboard Zumba instructor was not fabulous but I never saw her in action so I cannot say. I would love to do more cruising Zumba classes but money does not allow. If you know an instructor ask if they can go with you, seriously!

Royal Caribbean is now training crew members to be zumba certified. Zumba certification literally takes a couple hours and you pay a couple hundred dollars and voila your certified. The experience I had on board at a zumba class last week was awful. They need to bring on guest instructors that teach zumba on a regular basis and that are widely known for their talent. They need to learn from Celebrity Cruiselines. I went to the zumba class on that ship and the instructor was phenomenal. Her choreography was more fun and also gave me a better workout.

Zumba Instructors are licensed and must attend an 8 hour workshop. They are highly encouraged to a fitness certification to enhance their knowledge.

The problem that I see with having an "inhouse" instructor is that they cannot do the training on a turnaround day and get back to the ship on time for sailing. That assumes that there would even be a training on a day when they were in port. Also, it takes lots of time to keep a playlist current and crew just have many other obligations so they might not have that time to put into their programming....hence, the bad reviews.

Celebrity advertised for instructors on private facebook pages and did attract a few instructors to teach one or two weeks. If the instructor has good attendance at their home class...they would not want to give that up for a long contract on a ship.

As noted, try to find an instructor and see if the class would be interested in taking a cruise. That way you can probably get group rates and have a nice size class before you even board. Not to mention all the fun of the actual cruise.

• 3 years later...

There are no Zumba classes on RC ships other than the occasional class which is called 'Zumba' and taken by a member of the activities team, but it's not a proper Zumba class. They do not have qualified Zumba teachers or include it as part of their gym class program. Celebrity used to run some excellent free Zumba classes but as soon as they got popular they started charging for them, not sure if they are still around.

And incidentally this thread has been resurrected by someone advertising against the CC board rules, having already had a thread taken down for doing the same. Hopefully this thread will go the same way.

Edited by Bobal

There are Zumba classes on sea days on the oasis. As someone who does Zumba at least twice a week, this class was unimpressive. More like mild dance aerobics and fairly easy. You'll be sweating more from the fact that you're outside.