Celebrity Cruises Orders Two New Iconic Ships

Bababooey Land

I'm not sure I'd worry about this at all. I think it's a safe bet that they will keep the ships up to Celebrity standards.

However, if celebrity is sincere about offering small ship itineraries, then perhaps they may decide to keep the m-class ships for those smaller ship itineraries. Keep in mind that the new ships are essentially the same size as the s-class so they don't open up the opportunity to visit new ports or even dock at the same convenient locations as a real smaller ship (azamara/oceania plus the statendam class on HAL and princess small ships.

Agree with GH, Celebrity has actually sent their ships on several occasions into drydocks right before they were transferred to new ownership.

Sifting thru this very enjoyable dialogue, I get the impression we are concluding two new ''EDGE '' class ships mean two less ''M'' class.....

we ought to be optimistic that perhaps == X == will expand ..Just a thought.

While it makes geographical sense that Millie will sooner or later leave our westCoast for Asia one way and transfer to the joint venture CTRIP ( along with Century), maybe ==X== will keep the other 3 ''M'' and build an expanded program.

Heck...why not ? :)

We can be optimistic in another sense also, remember that when Celebrity built five new S class ships, they did not announce five from the beginning. Not sure but I think they initially announced only one and then as time and other factors passed they announced the others. Who knows maybe we will have five new ships.

The definition has definitely changed, I remember when Century was considered a mega ship and people on this board swore they would never sail her because of her size.
I remember seeing a Carnival Fantasy class ship in Miami during the early 90's.

OMG , she was enormous! I guess those ships somehow shrunk. ;)

Heck the Love Boat ship was big , all 20,000 tons of her.

Personally I love today's small boats that used to be considered huge and am sure I'll love.

a 117,000 GRT ship with almost 3000 pax that can " deliver small ship itineraries ". :rolleyes:

I was thinking of something new and IMHO, I consider Ruth's Chris far superior to Murano. Murano is nice but it is about equal to the MDR experience on Celebrity 20 years.

Ding Ding .... U win the comment of the month. We just got off Reflection and after paying $90 bucks... we just looked at each other and said this is what we had 10 yrs ago in the MDR....

CC

A comedy club would be great.

A T POOL would make me BOOK RIGHT NOW

A no smoking, adult only ship would make buy Doc's Delorean to travel through time to get on the ship immediately.

I'm with you on the T Pool. I'd even pay to use it cost has kept them from putting it on the S class ships. It is worth it.

I am beyond happy with this news and can't wait to see drawings, mock-ups, and watch as they are built! I really enjoyed the cams watching as S-class ships were built. Hope there are cams at this shipbuilding facility!

Agreed!! I know the announcement had only recently been made, but any idea when drawings, mock-ups etc will be released. I need visuals lol!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More than half of the Murano menu is fish or seafood. I'd be fine with more non-seafood items added to Murano's menu and add a new seafood restaurant to balance out the offerings.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

+1. I'd be surprised going by the trend of new ships if there was not more speciality dining options, but not being a huge seafood fan, yet not wishing to deprive those who do of their fix i think this is a great idea!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
Big thumbs up!!!!!!:D

I completely agree, the Mclass theaters are superior in design, also would like to see Tpools..free is great, but after observing the spill over masses of standing people from the outside pool deck with hamburgers and piña coladas around the Tpool I am all for what ever keeps the area classy and serene, paid or otherwise.

I completely agree, the Mclass theaters are superior in design, also would like to see Tpools..free is great, but after observing the spill over masses of standing people from the outside pool deck with hamburgers and piña coladas around the Tpool I am all for what ever keeps the area classy and serene, paid or otherwise.

I have often thought the same thing (re: the solarium area). A challenge most of the time to find a seat to enjoy the solarium due to chair hogs. Also, encroachment of people playing cards, eating, etc. Fine tuning of the rules and an added fee may help with this problem.

I have often thought the same thing (re: the solarium area). A challenge most of the time to find a seat to enjoy the solarium due to chair hogs. Also, encroachment of people playing cards, eating, etc. Fine tuning of the rules and an added fee may help with this problem.

Just think, the replaced the lawn on the sides of the ship, with a solarium with tables , people who want play cards , or sit around and bs could go there, it would clear up the solarium and oceanview cafe

I find with have a bad hip laying down is not always the best thing, so more chairs and tables on the deck would be a great thing :D

They can keep the lawn in the centre of the ship :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I'd worry about this at all. I think it's a safe bet that they will keep the ships up to Celebrity standards.

We sailed on the Mercury on her next to last cruise from Baltimore. She was still maintained very nicely.

I still miss having X in Baltimore. RCL seems to be able to charge premium prices for cruises from there. I hope the new ships expand the fleet.

WooHoo...more smaller ships for Celebrity. We prefer the design and capacity of the Solstice and Millennium Class ships and now look forward to seeing the new design!!

Smaller ship a bit smaller in size but more passengers

New ship 2,900-guest

Silhouette Occupancy:2886

• 2 months later...

Here's a prediction. Celebrity has historically used yacht designers to create the external profiles of their ships. Given the recent innovation in bow design currently seen on newer yachts, I predict the new EDGE-class ships from Celebrity will be the first cruise ships to have a forward sloping X-Bow. Here are some examples from others ships:

yacht-a-1.jpg

predator-favorite-megayacht.jpg

There have been a number for cruise ship concepts with this design, and leaked images of the new Virgin ships indicate they will use this innovative bow. Currently, the ships that come closest are the new Aida ships being built in Japan. Here's the Virgin design:

http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.gotraffic.net%2Fimages%2FigeJpnxLrfW0%2Fv1%2F-1x-1.png

• 4 weeks later...

I know this thread is old, but thought the following was the correct place for the following. I did NOT want to respond where I was asked to comment to avoid derailing that thread and figured if I shared it there it would cause plenty of controversy, so I will share ALL I heard, but please, let's not make too much of this as what was said could easily change in a month, or 6 months and never become reality.

At the second Captain's table on my Summit Cruise another diner directly asked Captain Dimitrios about any known plans for Project Edge. The two pieces of information he shared was that there would be a significant investment in high valued cruisers. No more was said about it, and I can only interpret that to mean the Michael's Club level cruisers. The other more controversial piece of information was the main dining room would go away, for smaller restaurants. After I raised my jaw off the table I was brazen enough to ask something along the lines of "Hasn't RCI learned from the challenges on Quantum of the Seas" and "It will be interesting to see how the more seasoned and traditional Celebrity Cruisers feel about this" To the second part he just smiled, but to the first part, in true Dimitrios fashion he said that "we're Celebrity" and something along the lines of we know better.

I know what the response has been to Quantum generally and Dynamic dinning specifically so this was a bit of a surprise for me. We'll see what happens once Celebrity officially announces plans AND receives feedback. ONLY at the point of an official announcement will we really know what they plan. If this does happen, it won't be on a ship until 2018 at the earliest. So to answer the question that was posed, THIS could impact "formal dress" codes.

Happy sailing,

Jenna